Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2014, 10:35   #1

Iroquois Cat Skeleton Cabin Door Keys

Howdy from Gulf Shores,Alabama , Where can i find duplicate skeleton cabin door keys for my 1971 Iroquois 30' Catamaran. I have 1 solitary key and if i lose it i'll be 2 x knee-deep as I already am once. I am told that in England skeleton keys are still very much the norm. Wouldn't it be great if someone knew of a locksmith that still had these in supply and posted it here . The Chrome key I have has CR18 stamped on it and is 3 & 7/8 inches in length. As I Stand by the Beautiful Warm Emerald Coast I ponder , "What to do?", What to do?" in this dark and foreboding situation that has made me lose all my social graces , which by the way, I dont have any, I'm from ALABAMA.
Jaen Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 15:27   #2

Boat: Rinker 24
Re: Iroquois Cat Skeleton Cabin Door Keys

Have you tried bringing it to a local locksmith? I'd try that first, he may have a box full of old keys you can sort through or he could probably make you a new one for a bit cheaper than you'd think.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 08:11   #3

Thank you for the suggestion , but yes , I did find 1 blank key that would work depending on my filing skills. One Person I talked to tried to duplicate it and failed. I also found a locksmith in Fla. that says he may be able to duplicate it, but i will have to send him the key, but I don't want to lose the the 1 and only . I am currently visiting the Amish and will investigate their metal workers. There is also a locksmith that has a machine that will duplicate most of it but the finishing touches have ti be done by hand file. Somewhere someone has the info. I thank you for taking the time to help. I shall continue my quest. When this problem is solved I'll say to myself, that was easy . I just haven't turned over the right rock.
Thanks again,
Brutus
Old 29-10-2014, 09:05   #4

Boat: Rinker 24

Can you post or send me a picture of the key? Most cabinetry keys are pretty simple to make.

Additionally, most door locks are simple to remove and fit a key to that way. I'm sure there are a ton of instructions and videos on the web on how to do it.

Another option is to upgrade the locks and get new keys, but especially if you remove the lock fitting a blank is not that hard. I am no locksmith by any stretch but have done this a couple times restoring an old hutch a couple of desks.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 08:05   #5

Hi, here is a photo of the key. I may have to change out the lock even though I wanted to keep it original. Hopefully the image will post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141015_120528434.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	90538  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:03   #6

Cool Re: Iroquois Cat Skeleton Cabin Door Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
Can you post or send me a picture of the key? Most cabinetry keys are pretty simple to make.

Additionally, most door locks are simple to remove and fit a key to that way. I'm sure there are a ton of instructions and videos on the web on how to do it.

Another option is to upgrade the locks and get new keys, but especially if you remove the lock fitting a blank is not that hard. I am no locksmith by any stretch but have done this a couple times restoring an old hutch a couple of desks.

Thanks MBWhite, I posted a photo of the key. I talked to Tidewater marina in Havre De grace and they mentioned that a Prout owner had a key made for his boat in Lancaster , Pa.I also found a young locksmith in Lancaster, Pa that has taken on the project as he put it , " I love the challenge ". I'll update the progress as it goes along like a Herd Of Turtles. If everything goes right I will post the young locksmiths contact info.
Brutus
Old 20-11-2014, 07:28   #7

OK here's the key update. I am back to square one as the young man could not find the time to duplicate it as he is very busy. So I will be on my way to the boat ASAP to pull the lock out of the door and see if there's a number or code written on it. With that info and the help from a locksmith in Fla we have a chance of finding these hard to find skeleton keys. If anyone knows the make of the lock manufacturer of a 1971 Iroquois Mk 2 catamaran, please send info to beachcreature@gmail.com as the sooner i can get this info to the locksmith, the better. I will post the outcome.
Warm Winds,
Brutus
Old 20-11-2014, 08:54   #8
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I'm in the same boat, yuk yuk. I found some skeleton keys on Amazon and imported three that looked likely. I was able to make two of them work okay, by cutting notches in the right places, etc.

I 3-D printed a copy of my remaining key with both ABS and PLA, but the plastic is just not rugged enough. It would be okay in an emergency, but I don't know how many cycles I'd get from the plastic key. Couldn't count on it lasting.

but I would really like to have the right ones. I'm thinking of replacing the entire lock with a more modern mechanism.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boat key.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	92024  
Old 20-11-2014, 08:55   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I'm no locksmith, but I have watched a lot of spy movies. Can a bronze foundry make a mold/cast of that key and make it in bronze? There are lots of artists with small foundries around.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:00   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Blue Dog Keys. They found key blanks for me that no one else could.

Telephone
1-888-ODD-BLANKS (1-888-633-2526)
1-407-774-0100
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:15   #11
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

blue Dog has my blank! I just found out it's a "Hatteras" on their page 6. I can cut the notches myself. I once took the Foley-Belsaw locksmithing correspondence course while I was laid up for months following motorcycle crash surgery.

I had found some blanks I made work from these guys:
Reproduction and Antique Skeleton Key Blanks
Old 20-11-2014, 13:07   #12

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Glad you found a solution. I was just about to suggest a machine shop.
Old 21-11-2014, 18:16   #13

Da cat came back. I contacted this company and with no luck I am again looking under all Da rocks. Here is their response.

Hello , I am searching for a skeleton key 3 5/8 inches long , I am attaching photo. It is for a 1971 sailcraft Iroquois Mk 2 catamaran. Key has CR18 stamped on it. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks , Brutus

Thanks for writing to us about the keys you need. Sorry, but we do not have it in stock at the moment. You may want to try searching for that code on eBay, as a lot of keys are listed on there. Again, thanks very much for writing to us.

Churchill Barton, Mgr
Brettuns Village, Inc.
557 Lincoln St
Lewiston, ME 04240
TEL: (207)782-7863
FAX: (207)782-7448
http://www.BrettunsVillage.Com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20141015_120528434.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	92124  
Old 24-11-2014, 08:38   #14

Cabin Door Key update
I won 4 keys on Ebay friday. After 7 hours of searching through thousands of keys, I found 4 that resembled my cabin door key. These keys were made by ADAMS & WESTLAKE, LTD - Home and i will load a photo of one so if anyone is searching for extra keys, check back to this post and i will keep you updated. I will test the keys next week when I arrive at my slip. I am also going to a small foundry in lancaster, Pa to inquire of the cost of reproducing the key.
There is a 3-D print business in York, Pa which i will also check out costs.
A machine shop is on the list also. Thank You
I called Blue Dog and they only sell to locksmiths so i will either lie that I am one or get a locksmith to inquire. The rules have changed when they have rules, policy's and laws. I will lie, cheat, dis-inform, mis-inform, become a reptilian shape shifter or mandate an executive order. I WANT MY KEYS!
Old 26-01-2015, 10:05   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations!

Tags
cabin