Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2016, 15:48   #1

Intros

Hi there cruisers forum, we are a family of 5 from NZ, two adults (Jaz and Josh) and 3 kids Naomi (13), Bella (11) and David (9). We have done some shorter cruises around the north of Nz for many years now but planning to pack up and buy a yacht in Greece or Turkey in 2017 early in the year. I've put a more detailed request for help under the Med forum and would love any advice from people familiar with the area as we have zero contacts there and have never sailed there either!! Thanks in advance!
robbinsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 20:16   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Intros

Welcome to the forum...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 22:19   #3

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner

How much for the children? Can they be made to work hard?
We are leaving the Med to the west this season after 7 years. Ooh lala, what a beautiful magic place. The most beautiful anchorages and great food and wine and civilization, as well as a lot of remote anchorages. We have a big full keel boat with a lot of sail options and the sailing itself really sucked. Lots of motoring. And the winters are rough and its hard not to be in a marina.
the Balearics, Sardinia, Corsica, Siciiy, Italys west coast, The Greek Islands and Turkey oh my. Good bunch of cruisers from all over and a few kids to torment.
except for the ongoing refugee crisis, which is not getting better it feels very safe and friendly.
If you have interest in any of the places we mentioned we would be happy to offer more details on anchorages and highlights. Fair winds, Jim and Barbara
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Robbins Family!

There is a vast amount of information here and many helpful members who have extensive experience.

Also, check out the various social groups here too, as there is one for cruising with kids.

My Favorite CF Forum Tip: Use the Google Custom Search Function

I know that most people who are new to this forum might try the ordinary search function of the forum when they have a question in mind. Unfortunately that always yielded few resultsi for me when I tried that when I first joined this forum. In contrast, a standard Google search outside of the forum can produce a bewildering list of links too. It was only later that I learned to quickly and easily find great links to archived or previous threads on a topic.

I only use the Google Custom Search field on this forum when searching this forum, and I find all the answers I need here too using that.

I find it superior to an ordinary search using the standard "search" field and usually get the answers I want very quickly. So, it is my "number one tip" to newer forum members. .

Note! The Google Custom Search field is found under the "Search" menu seen at the top of your browser window when you are in the CF forum on any page. However, it is NOT shown as an option if you are viewing the Forum site using the CF Mobile app. Use a browser like Safari instead.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 22:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaclejim View Post
How much for the children? Can they be made to work hard?
We are leaving the Med to the west this season after 7 years. Ooh lala, what a beautiful magic place. The most beautiful anchorages and great food and wine and civilization, as well as a lot of remote anchorages. We have a big full keel boat with a lot of sail options and the sailing itself really sucked. Lots of motoring. And the winters are rough and its hard not to be in a marina.
the Balearics, Sardinia, Corsica, Siciiy, Italys west coast, The Greek Islands and Turkey oh my. Good bunch of cruisers from all over and a few kids to torment.
except for the ongoing refugee crisis, which is not getting better it feels very safe and friendly.
If you have interest in any of the places we mentioned we would be happy to offer more details on anchorages and highlights. Fair winds, Jim and Barbara
Hi guys thanks for the hello! Sounds like you have been to lots of places we want to go! Any info re Greece and Turkey, top tips, places that are must visits would be great!
robbinsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote