Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 12:40   #1

Smile Introduction from a wannabe

I confess to being a sailing wannbe. I am not sure lurker is an enduring term, but that has been my place here these past six months. I am an avid reader and after an auto accident permanently disabled me from work, I am even more resigned to that role (a crushed vertabrae). I have been reading of sailing adventures both fictional and non fictional for years from Slocum to Hiscock to Robin Lee Graham and some Alexander Kent thrown in for good measure, but when I encoutered the voyages of the Copland family "Just Crising" and "Still Cruising" a chord was struck and I began collecting books of similar experiences where ever I could. I also began to renew my interest in 17th and 18th Century fiction, the volume of material which I was able to find amazed me. I will never likely own a sailing vessel. But I can vicariously enjoy both your trials and triumphs. I have a particular interest in the Carribean having served and an academic dean/teacher for a theological college in Trinidad for a number of years. When folks write of the Carrange in Trinidad or Carlilse Bay in Barbados; of Scarborough in Tabago or St George in Grenada I've been there, just not in a boat. I took the opportunity to visit seventeen islands while I was in the Caribbean so the reports you kind folks share, bring happy memories. I am nestled in the Pacific Northwest on the Long Beach Penninsula and regularly prowl the docks in Ilwaco wistfully perusing vessels who stop there. With the Columbia river bar and the unfriendly coasts both north and south we mostly get river traffic up from the Portland area. I love the humor and easy camradirie of Sailnet and appreciate the hard work of the moderators to manage the large number of contributors. Keep up the stories from Newfoundland to Florida on the side of the nation I wouldn't care to live, tickle my memory of the glorious San Juans to Marina del Ray, but above all tell the tales for those of us who can only read of your adventures.
Glenn
igpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:29   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Glenn.

Your post must have slipped under the rug or something! Welcome to Cruisers Forum. Reading about sailing is the next best thing, but you could probably find a way to get a ride on a boat in the PNW.

Best wishes,
Old 06-07-2008, 05:26   #3

Accessible Sailing

Being disabled by both the accident (partially crushed L5 verabrae) and cancer surgeries, I fear there is nothing closer than Seattle for assistance in the kind of support I would, in all likelyhood, need. The area where I live gives new meaning to the word remote. Pacific County has a land area the size of Delaware and a population less than 20,000 people. Nearly 1/2 the folks living in the county resides on a penninsula between the Pacific Ocean, Willapa Bay (mostly mud flats) and the Columbia river. It is a little over a mile wide the majority of it's 32 mile length. The port of Ilwaco hosts a few commercial fishing boats and a small charter fleet. A single trip to Seattle, from my home, in a fairly fuel efficient subcompact costs close to $70. Sailing is an itch I would dearly love to scratch, but haven't the resources, at this time, to approach this desire (my last of four is in college). Thank you, however, for the thoughtful response.
I loved my visit to your home base of Nevis in 1991. A little Twin Otter, (Liat I think), flew me and five other passengers around 1500 ft above the water, between Basse Terre and Newcastle, landing on a little strip on the north shore, not far from the channel between the islands. I preached for two nights at a Church of God congregation, a little south Charlestown, pastored by Davidson Morton. I loved the lively time spent in this lovely, articlate slice of the Leewards. I especially enjoyed Prinney's beach.
Glenn
igpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Glenn,

really sorry to hear about your accident. There is a guy here who had a work related back injury and has not been able to sail. He can't handle any boat pounding and also would feel like he needed to "pitch in"

We finally convinced him to come out and we make sure it's as Cadillac ride as possible.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 19:33   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Glenn,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and hope you can someday get on the water. In the meantime the forum provides lots of good reading.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote