Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 10:11   #1

Introduction

Hello there! My husband and I are new to sailing (though my husband has power boat experience) and are beginning the process of researching and buying a catamaran (OK, this process has actually been ongoing for about 6 months now). Our immediate goal is to place the boat in a Captain'd charter fleet (I've read the horror stories about bare boat charters and what happens to the boat), then in 7-10 years we want to do a circumnavigation.

We are both 48 years old and both still working, thus, the charter thing since we won't be able to use the boat full time.

The reason my husband suggested that I join is because I have about 3 hairs left on my head from research I've done so far. I think I find a boat I like (we've been to 2 boat shows and have seen the models we thought we liked), and have been out on a Lagoon 440 and a Leopard 39 so far (day trips with friends). Here is the issue I have. I like the Fountaine Pajots, the Lagoons and the Leopards. Our budget is about 350-370K (so we are looking at a used boat, obviously). Depending on who you talk to, any and all of those are either the "best boat out there" or "trash". One is a "Caddy" the other a "Hyundai". This is why I have about 3 hairs on my head, LOL! How in the WORLD does a new boat owner know where to turn? I think, "Well, if we buy boat X and it turns out [whomever] was right, and it really is a piece of crap, well, now we're stuck with a horrible boat." It seems to me that a weekly charter is not going to tell me what I want to know about the long term ownership of the boat. After being on several boats, we do know that the minimum length that will work for us is 39-40ft and we are looking at a maximum of 44-45.

OK, that's the basics I suppose. This site is a wealth of information, alright. But has also contributed to that loss of hair thing, as I pull out more each day with each subsequent contradictory thread, LOL! Sigh.
VanessaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Introduction

Welcome aboard the forum! Hope you find what you're looking for. I never could figure out the benefit of buying a boat to put into charter vs. buying the same boat used when you're ready for cruising, but I probably haven't given it as much thought as others have. You'll get the gamut of opinions on the quality, etc.. of each of the brands/models, but you may find the most telling info from the owner's forums for the specific brands (here and elsewhere). Good luck, and happy sailing!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:23   #3

Thanks, Mike. The benefit for us is a boat as a business paradigm where we can take tax write offs, etc. Since we can't use it full time right now, but don't want the expense of chartering 2-3 times per year, this just made the best sense to us.

I've had to cut back on my reading of the different boards (this one included) because as my husband puts it, it makes my hair hurt to read so much information that seems to be so contradictory. One person loves boat A, the next owner of boat A hates it. Owner of boat A thinks the owner of boat B is an idiot for buying boat B and vice versa. It's enough to make someone who knows nothing about these boats want to scream!!! So, for now, I'll go mow the grass and forget about boats, lol!
Old 08-06-2012, 14:13   #4

Boat: Moody 35, Sail, Sloop

We chartered many years, before we made up our mind, monohulls and catamarans in different sizes. I think, for us this was the best way, and I can only recommend this, if you do not have a lot of experience. To buy a boat is easy but if you think, after some time, it is not the right one it may be very difficult to sell it again.
balimara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 16:36   #5

Thank you Manfred. We really don't have any desire to charter at this point. We are going to do the appropriate sailing courses and will hang out in the Caribbean for a few years getting the feel for whatever boat we decide on. I think we're getting closer to narrowing it down to the Orana 44 or the Lagoon 400. We'll see what happens over the new few weeks. We are going to St. Martin to look over a few during the 4th of July week.
Old 29-06-2012, 12:08   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and doing research.
kind regards,

Tags
introduction