Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 01:27   #1

Introduction

Hello,

I’ve joined the forum as part of my intent to learn as much as possible as I work towards my dream of cruising.

I’m 37 years old and am married with twin 3.5 yr old twins. I’ll be retiring from the military in approx 4 years and am in the process of warming my wife up to the idea of transitioning to a cruising lifestyle.

While I think we are in a very good position to make it happen, there are many challenges. The initial financial expense of purchasing and outfitting the right boat has become the most complicated issue.

My wife is unwavering in her demand for a 45-50’ Catamaran. We are living on half our paycheck and saving as much as we can, but with savings and selling some investments I fear we will come short of what would be needed. I’m projecting we’ll have somewhere around 250k. From the browsing I’ve done i believe I’ll need more around the 400k for a 10-15yr old Cat if that description. I’m very fond of the Leopard 45/47 types.

My retirement income will be somewhere around 3.5k/month... but I’d really like to plan to have the boat paid in full prior to setting sail and have that money to live on and save for maintenance/upgrades.

I’m currently considering two options:

1. Purchasing a vessel in two years with that down payment we’ve been able to come up with at that point and live aboard for the last two years of my service. That will most likely be in the Norfolk VA area. In this time we would put all our monies to attempting to pay it off. There are also 2 sub-options to choose from here... 1. Live on the boat while on the hard 2. Spend a little more and get it in a wet slip.

On the hard would allow for more money to be put toward the loan, but having it in the water would allow for us to take it out on weekends and Holliday’s to get proficient (and work towards getting my USCG license).

I’m currently leaning towards putting it on the hard (if we go with the option of financing it in two years).

The second option would be for me to get a job for a few years after retirement and work till we have enough to pay for it all up front. 5 years maybe.

I guess i could do a combination... buy the boat in two years and just plan on working ashore till i got it paid off.

Welcome to any thoughts anyone has on that.

There are also knowledge and skills I need to work towards. I’m ASA 104 qualified and am well aware of my gaps. I need more education on navigation, weather, Diesel engine repair, and just more time sailing in adverse conditions.

I’m also doing as much reading as i can... just finished “The Voyagers Handbook” and am working on Jimmy Cornell’s “World Cruising Routes” and “World Cruising Destinations”. I’ve got a list of books to keep me occupied for a while (in addition to all the good stuff on this forum).

I greatly appreciate all the shared wisdom.
PaigeNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Introduction

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, PaigeNate.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:48   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Living aboard a cat on the hard long term? Don't think so.

I've done it for a week or so and that's enough. With small kids it would be a nightmare. Access ( a ladder at the transom?) and waste (including washing water) disposal will both be major issues.

Have you had a good look at potential cats? Have you looked at ones n the 40-44ft range? That will cut your projected cost down a bit.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:17   #4

Tsum,

Thank you. I have looked and am considering smaller size. I’ts all dependent on what i can get the family comfortable with in that regard.
PaigeNate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introduction