Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 08:25   #1

Introduction

I'm from Louisiana and have owned fishing boats for my entire adult life. I developed an interest in sailing over the last year. I've done everything in my power to learn, including spending time around here lurking. I did my best to get time on the water as well, but it has been difficult.

I have three kids, and they are excited about learning as well. Particularly my 12 year old.

I fell in love with an old Bristol yawl about 4 or 5 months ago. For better or worse, she is now ours. My relationship with this old boat will certainly lead to many, many questions. This seems to be a great place to ask them.

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of the community.
Ruddy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:37   #2

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Introduction

Hi Ruddy - Welcome to CF - we used to buddy boat with a Bristol yawl many years ago in New England. What beauties! Looking forward to your adventures.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 13:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Ruddy and Welcome Aboard CF!

Quick Suggestion: Copy the text you wrote above, edit if you want (to include more or less or more about your own experience with boats, photos, etc.), and then add that to the CF User Profile "About" tab (or page) so people who click on your user name (or avatar) in the future will see something about you.  You can also create a photo album where you can upload photos to show us your boat too.
__

Since you are new to this forum, let me mention a few things you might miss but that could help you more enjoy your time here:

There is an amazing amount of shared knowledge found in the thousands of threads on this forum. If one has a common question, the answers are usually there, often with different possible solutions. The trick is finding those threads and answers as they can be "lost" in the many threads, which are often not titled well.

Here are my favorite Tips for newcomers to this forum:

WIKI
Take a look at the Cruising WIKI that is found via the tab up on the top menu bar of the forum. It has a LOT of information in it you might find fun, interesting, or helpful.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive or key terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF mobile app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, IE, Firefox, etc.

Note: The ordinary "search" field on this forum has yielded less helpful results for me when I perform searches. That is why I prefer and suggest the use of the alternative "Google Custom Search" instead. I see a very clear and big difference and find the Google Custom Search much easier for scanning (with my eyes) threads for relevant comments and information.

I am confident if you spend some time trying different search terms (key words) using this method, you will find much advice and many tips.

I hope you enjoy your time in CF. 
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 00:06   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, Ruddy Duck, and enjoy your boat.

Ann

Tags
introduction