Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2017, 23:48   #1

Smile Intro - Going for a Dream

Hi everyone!

I've been a lurker for a little while, and I figured it was finally time to join the community here!

My husband and I have embraced sailing since our early days together. We initially bought a 22 ft sailboat for less than a boat buck and learned the ropes. We were hooked!

Work took us far away from the coast, and we ended up chartering a 40-ft catamaran on the Chesapeake. We have a disabled son, and I had begun to think our dream of sailing away one day was not possible with how severe his disability is. That catamaran charter changed everything. The dream REVIVED.

Because of our son's special needs, it will no doubt cost a lot to take on this dream, but we have been taking steps over the years already to make it happen. For now, the question lingers of how soon can we make it happen. We hope it will be no later than 55 (for my husband) or about 10-12 years.

Anything is possible, right? So, we are spending these interim years saving, investing, and doing prudent research. Waiting... and waiting...

Outside of sailing, I, myself, am an ultrarunner. I'm the 2017 Female USA 24-Hour National Champion, and I have some things I need to "wrap up" in my running career before we do set sail. So I guess the timing will work itself out there.

I've loved and enjoyed all the excellent support and insight I've read here and look forward to getting to know many of you!
Talynnlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 00:29   #2

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: Intro - Going for a Dream

[QUOTE=Talynnlang;2522932]Hi everyone!

I've been a lurker for a little while, and I figured it was finally time to join the community here!

My husband and I have embraced sailing since our early days together. We initially bought a 22 ft sailboat for less than a boat buck and learned the ropes. We were hooked!

Work took us far away from the coast, and we ended up chartering a 40-ft catamaran on the Chesapeake. We have a disabled son, and I had begun to think our dream of sailing away one day was not possible with how severe his disability is. That catamaran charter changed everything. The dream REVIVED.

Because of our son's special needs, it will no doubt cost a lot to take on this dream, but we have been taking steps over the years already to make it happen. For now, the question lingers of how soon can we make it happen. We hope it will be no later than 55 (for my husband) or about 10-12 years.

Anything is possible, right? So, we are spending these interim years saving, investing, and doing prudent research. Waiting... and waiting...

Outside of sailing, I, myself, am an ultrarunner. I'm the 2017 Female USA 24-Hour National Champion, and I have some things I need to "wrap up" in my running career before we do set sail. So I guess the timing will work itself out there.

I've loved and enjoyed all the excellent support and insight I've read here and look forward to getting to know many of you! [/QUOTE

In a very few short words...... Don't wait. Ok only 2 words. Busy sorry.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 00:32   #3

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Sorry for that. But life is happening now, not in 10 years. Live it NOW.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 04:44   #4

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

I too have a child with special needs (daughter with Down Syndrome.) Our First catamaran charter (Helia) and three years of planning taught us we could make it work. We pick up our new Saba in La Rochelle 9/18 and I can’t wait to experience the adventure through my daughters eyes.

Best of luck on your journey!

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote