Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-07-2015, 03:16   #1

Boat: formosa 41 ketch, aft cockpit
intro

Hello all. I have just joined the forum and am currently refitting a Formosa 41 called Mistress. Mistress was built in 1984 and spent much of her time in Port Vila Vanuata, she is an aft cockpit version.
The previous owner has done most of the hard work including repowering with a new Yanmar, replace wooden main mast with alloy and removing the leaking teak on the deck and fiberglassing the deck.
I am slowly progressing with sanding and painting rewiring etc and hope to be finished by early next year.
I come from a motor boat background but was asked to sail in the 2011 Sydney to Hobart on a Sydney 38 and loved it. The racing was hard work and cold at times but I was hooked on sail. I felt compelled to get a yacht and cruise (not race).
I wonder if anyone has had anything to do with Mistress in the past or can fill me in on her history. I look forward to drawing on your combined experience and wisdom!

Old 05-07-2015, 04:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: intro

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, formosa aus.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:26   #3

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Howdy Formosa! Welcome Aboard CF!

Since you are involved in a major refit project (taking off teak decks and putting fiberglass on the deck), I think visitors and members here might enjoy seeing some photos and reading about that project. If you post some photos in a new thread (perhaps in the Maintenance sub forum) then add your account of how many hours of labor etc, I think others will find it helpful and interesting. Why, just last night I came across a "for sale" for an older (1980s) Formosa and wondered: "I wonder how long it would take to strip that teak off and refinish the deck?" So, at least one person here would like to know.

Good luck on your refit projects, and enjoy your future sailing!

Steady

A Few of my Favorite Tips for New Members to this Forum:

Since you are new to this forum, let me mention a few things you might miss but that could help you more enjoy your time here:

There is a free Cruiser's Wiki associated with this forum.
There is a LOT of free content in that wiki. Including "cruising guides."

There are also some "social groups" that are more focused on special interests, and as I saw, they can be fun for their members. I am not a member of those groups, but you should be able to find them if you do some exploring of the forum website, look for "groups."

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - All Groups

Cruising Australia Waters Group (88 members)
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Cruising Australia Waters

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 22:39   #4

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Try asking on this page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vanua...357805?fref=ts Most of the old timers have gone but it's worth a shot.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 09:00   #5

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Another tip: I believe one of the active forum members here on CF, ZEEHAG, has a Formosa 41 (as I recall). She often recommends that new owners of that brand search for and join the "Leaky Teaky" club (an online users group), as it has a lot of information on those boats.

You can see her boat on her CF Profile page and you can contact her through a Private Message there too.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hag-15904.html

Hope that helps.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: