Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2009, 14:37   #1

Boat: CHB Magellan 36 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to Dawntreader II
International Cruisers in Sydney

Hi all,

New to the forum but have been thinking about the Cruising dream since I started remembering what I dreamt about (around 3 years old). In the next 5 years I'd like to take off on a medium length cruise maybe not a full circumnavigation but definately skating between a few continents.

Are there any international cruisers around in Sydney at the moment. It would be great to hear about your experiences first hand.

Also are there any cruising associations in Sydney or places people who organise info nights etc???

Phil
Dawntreader II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 14:40   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Maybe the CYC (Cruising Yacht Club)?

Or pop into any yacht club - they ae usually very pally - and ask around.

Good luck
JOHN
Old 21-02-2009, 10:09   #3

Boat: Taswell 56, 1991, Faith
Try Blackwattle

When we were in Sydney, we anchored for three months in Blackwattle Bay. There's a park in Glebe where we dinghied to shore. You might want to check there. Moorings and dockage in Sydney Harbour was prohibitive, so you might find a number of international cruisers there. Carry a handheld down with you, and if you see somebody on board, hail them. I know we loved it when people asked us about our trip. We found Sydney to be as friendly as anywhere else.
Gregg A Granger
check out our website at Sailing Faith: Home Page
Faith of Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 10:41   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Phil,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here pursuing your dream.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 19:27   #5

Boat: CHB Magellan 36 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to Dawntreader II
Good idea about Blackwattle bay, I live at the top of the hill in Glebe so will head down and check it out!

I've just started reading Beth Leonard's Cruising book and its openned up the possibility of cruising on a modest budget. I'd always thought be stuck on terra firma till I'd raised a couple of hundred thousand but now I'm starting to think about looking for a boat between the 20-30K mark and spending another 15 maybe fitting it out. Then disappearing into the pacific for 6-12 months... sterring clear of marinas and tourist destinations
Dawntreader II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 19:44   #6

Boat: Taswell 56, 1991, Faith
Go For It!!

All I can say is go for it. The sooner the better, before global trade and tourism cause any more cultural leveling.
Faith of Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 20:25   #7

Boat: Allied Luders 33
Hi, Dawntreader. It all begins with the dream. Once you get your boat and some experience, point her north towards some of the best cruising in the world. I spent a year and a half cruising the Coral Coast north from Bundaberg to New Guinea and then back to Nhullanbuy and Darwin. Great people and great adventures. You have an advantage in that you can work as you go if you need to. If you wait until you can afford to leave you may never go. Do it while your'e young and carefree.Good luck.
Lady Circumnavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 20:35   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Aloha Dawntreader...Nice to have you aboard. A wealth of knowledge here. May all your dreams be realized.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 01:15   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi! We left Sydney a few months ago after going across the Pacific from the Caribbean.

Sydney is almost bereft of cruisers! Dunno why! Its a great place!

Anyway as others have said BlackwattleBay is the place you will find the international cruisers.

You might need a dinghy to get out to them as many dont come into the park. They might take their dinghy to the dock at the Fish Markets. Maybe go there and have a coffee and wait for someone to come in.

The CYC is not a club of cruisers its a racing club set up for the Sydney Hobart Yacht Race.

We have just arrived in the Whitsunday’s! So if you fly to HamiltonIsland and buy Nic and me dinner (she doesn’t eat much and doesn’t drink alcohol at all) we will tell you all the stuff

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 04:03   #10

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Phil,
Despite the racing credentials, the CYC does have a cruiser section (as do most yacht clubs) and if you actually want to get out on a yacht suggest you'd have more chance via approaching such clubs than you'd do catching visiting cuisers on the beach.
Good luck in getting out there.
JOHN

Tags
cruising, forums, sydney