Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2016, 12:18   #16

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: intercoastal waterway

The ICW can get really tedious after a couple days, especially solo. The flip side is that you meet a lot of great people and see parts of America that you'd never see otherwise. The entire stretch from VA to SC is particularly beautiful and historic.

There are jump off points along the way that are great for overnight jaunts. My advise would be don't be in a hurry, take in some real southern culture along the way, and weave in and out based on what makes sense to you in real time.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 15:40   #17

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrpy44 View Post
I am located in Toledo Ohio and I'm new to this site. I'm taking my 1980 25 foot o'day through the Erie Canal to Albany down to Hudson to New York. from there I want to take the boat down to Titusville Florida. I would like to take the boat down the Atlantic side and not go down the intercoastal I'm hoping this will save me time. there are inlets about every 35 to 40 miles in case I would have to take shelter because of storms....which forum should I go to to ask my many questions?
It's not a bad idea following the ICW from Norfolk to Morehead City. You can sail in the Chesapeake Bay and parts of Pamlico Sound if the weather permits. From Morehead you can make fairly comfortable overnight hops to Southport, then Charleston, then Fernandina Beach. Cruising is not about going as fast as possible - better to enjoy the trip and let it take the time it needs to take.

Wanted to add - the Waterway Guide is an excellent resource, as is Activecaptain.com
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 15:55   #18

Going outside will basically take as long as in the waterway... it's up to you and how you stay on schedule. There are not places to duck in every 35-40 miles though. , getting in and out can be long trip on some inlets too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 16:25   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
What fun would that be?
Go back and read my post. If it needs explaining, post back and I will try to explain it to you.
Old 22-01-2016, 16:34   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
............ How can you ever expect to gain the experience if you won't go out to sea in the first place? ...........
By taking short trips and going with experienced friends, not by starting out on a two thousand mile ocean voyage alone.
Old 22-01-2016, 16:49   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrpy44 View Post
I am located in Toledo Ohio and I'm new to this site. I'm taking my 1980 25 foot o'day through the Erie Canal to Albany down to Hudson to New York. from there I want to take the boat down to Titusville Florida. I would like to take the boat down the Atlantic side and not go down the intercoastal I'm hoping this will save me time. there are inlets about every 35 to 40 miles in case I would have to take shelter because of storms....which forum should I go to to ask my many questions?
Sounds like a fun trip. I would love to do it.

For your outside sections I would suggest an autopilot. Having been out in the ocean on our 27' it can be very nice just sailing toward a compass point and not having to worry about the ICW traffic and such. That said if you get swells a 10+ hour day on the tiller can get pretty tiresome.
Old 23-01-2016, 12:46   #22

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Welcome! If you're looking for a good place to find info on your travel down this is the place. Just post your questions as a topic and help will come to you...

http://curioussailor.blogspot.com/
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 08:56   #23

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Go back and read my post. If it needs explaining, post back and I will try to explain it to you.
Anyone that want to take their boat from Ohio thru the Erie Canal, down the Hudson to NYC, I don't think trailering it to save time to get to Florida was what he had in mind, hence my post "what fun would that be".

By the way, I like the name of your boat
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 22:08   #24

Boat: 1978 hunter 30'

Thank you for replying you are really right
ronrpy44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water