Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 17:40   #1

In the Army - Trying to Dream

Hello to All!

Been on the board for a few weeks just amazed by all the information on this site. It is my wife and mine's dream to figure away out of this rat race and live our dream. Thank you to all who give their knowledge and experience.

Rog
rss1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 18:01   #2

Boat: Tayana 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss1983 View Post
Hello to All!

Thank you to all who give their knowledge and experience.

Rog

And Thank You to all of you that demonstrate the courage, and make the sacrifices, to serve in our Armed Forces.
Welcome aboard, Rog

John
Old 09-05-2009, 18:02   #3

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Hi Rog,

Welcome aboard! I started dreaming of sailing off into the sunset when I was in the Army too. All I can tell you is get rid of all your debt now and start saving!

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 18:08   #4

I appreciate the kind words John, thank you!

drew.ward: That's some sound advice, trying to do that now... Any other helpful hints on how to get out of Uncle Sam's security blanket?
Old 09-05-2009, 18:09   #5

Hi Rog So what is your dream? Planning on a boat to cruise the world? Let us know what the plan is and Welcome to a great place to share and learn. Glen
Hidro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 18:16   #6

Thanks Glen,

This site has an abundance of information, I have yet to really ask a question due to every where I have looked someone has answered them.

I would love to cut loose now, take me and the family down south and just live. But in all reality its gonna be a hot minute before I ever get off dry land. But the more I know the better I will be prepared. I just feel like a joke not having a boat and being here.
Old 09-05-2009, 18:32   #7

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Greetings Rog, my wife are in the same boat as you two, pun intended. good luck in your dreams. Enjoy and use this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here and the people are extremely decent and courteous......Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 18:36   #8

Rog

What better way to prepare than right here? This site is so full of info with so many folks that are living the dream, they have been there and done that and are friendly and want to help guys like us. We have a house boat on the Cumberland river in Tennessee and plan on moving on board at retirement, if not before. Living on the water is hard to describe, one just has to experience it. I have spent all winter working on the boat and today got the engines tuned up and ready to go. Where are you now? Close to a marina where you can go and check out some boats? Good luck on your venture and Thanks for what you are doing for all of us! Glen
Hidro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 18:39   #9

Thanks Allen, do you and your wife have any children? I see you already have a boat... So your moving a little bit closer to the dream. Good luck and stay in touch!
Old 09-05-2009, 18:46   #10

Glen

I am fortunate to be at Eglin AF base for now... That will be changing soon. My how I love my Job Yes I have been down so some marinas and it has made my want that much more! Pretty much set on a multihull do to their interior space and storage.
I spent a bunch of time down in a little place called Paris Landing TN, beautiful country. Not really fair people make fun of TN, that should be reserved for WVa
Old 09-05-2009, 20:28   #11

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
We have a seventeen year old daughter who shows no interest whatsoever in sailing. That give the missus and I a lot of "adult" time...lol.....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:14   #12

Boat: s/v Annapurna (Contessa 26)
Hello Sir,

Just thought I would pipe in, because we seem to have a thing or two in common. I'm currently active duty as well, which can be very much more than a full-time job at times, but I'm still livingaboard(God love BAH, paying for boat loan/slip and a little extra for maintenance), and making preparations for a circumnavigation shortly after seperation date. It's tricky and some extra work, but thus far, I've found it to be more worth it than I reckoned it would be.

Best of luck
Philosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:17   #13

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
HAHA Paris Landing!

I'm former 101st as well man! The weekend escapes from Clarksville were always good.

I tell you Rog, the biggest problem most vets have had is that for some reason nobody wants to hire you when you leave the military. I know the military and everyone else pushes the idea that the world can't wait to hire vets because of our great military experience but in reality it's the opposite. For many guys the fist 5 years after they ETS is like having a strange stigma on their resumes. I know a lot of guys who have only gotten jobs after deleting their military service from their resumes.

It's sad, but be aware of the possibility and try to have your financial house in order before you get out. Also, if you can get a job you like near the ocean while you are still in, that would help.

One other possibility is to buy a house while you are on active duty, or even a duplex or something that provides both a financial asset and a source of rental income. The VA loans are nowhere near as easy to get once you get out.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:52   #14

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Another Army Sailor

When I got back from Viet Nam in 68' (D Bty, 1st Bn 5th Arty, 1st Inf Div, Big Red One). I was stationed at Ft. Carson Colorado. Small lake in the middle of town..small sail boats all over the lake..that is where I got the bug to sail..got home, bought a kit boat, Sabot and built it myself. Within 8 months I bought a 12' Korale sloop. Another 8 months, a 28' Columbia. Now many years later we are sailing our Catalina 30 and loving it. I had no problem returning home and getting a job. Try the Sheriffs Dept...they took me for a while...went into my own business and made a killing. Now about to launch into a new business manufacturing small stainless steel parts for sailboats. I know its not as easy today..but you can do it....Hoooooorah!!!! and good luck.
Anjinsan (Jerry)

Pick,....Me and First Mate getting wed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Wedding 2006.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	8080  
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 17:43   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Rog,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. I learned to sail at an Army run MWR facility in Chiemsee, Germany 1972. Lots of nautical miles since then.
Thanks for serving and keep the dream alive.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote