Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 08:48   #1

Location: Atlanta, Georgia for now. I am moving to Savannah in a year where I will keep my boat. For now it's on Lake Lanier.
Boat: BRISTOL 29.9 #160
In over my Head, Part 1

First I want to say how excited I am to feel that I could be a part of your forum. I have been so worried that I had lost my head until I found you guys (and ladies) and you were all so welcoming and patient with newbies, of which I am the poster child. I have dreamed all my life of sailing on blue waters. I knew absolutely nothing of what this really entailed so I set out to learn all I could before I cut the dock lines (my attempt at using sailing lingo, LOL). It's okay to laugh, I will admit that I am a reader. I know that nothing can replace actual experience, but I still have a year or two until I can get on the water so I am trying to read everything I can to be as prepared as is possible before I step onto MY boat and leave Georgia heading to the horizon. I have come to learn it is a lifetime of learning. I felt like I was looking at a tsunami. The amount of knowledge you guys possess is simply staggering. You probably don't even think about it any more. My commitment is concrete however and now I believe that, with your help, I can do this. I feel that I'm not alone, which has been my only fear. So here is where I will begin. One day I hope to meet all of you out on the water somewhere. What a trip it'll be, in so many different ways! I hope you can put up with me, I have such a long, long way to go.
So, hello everyone.
Signed, Morningdewman.
morningdewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 08:53   #2

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Re: In over my Head, Part 1

Once you start the intimidating feeling disappears quickly, there are a lot of helpful people around... I've been through it several times. First dingy, first charter, changing country, marriage, kids... Good luck.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 09:05   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, welcome Morning! I think you'll find you are in good company here. We were all newbies once! Any more details about where you'd like to go and how you'd like to get there?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 03:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Morningdewman.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:35   #5

Location: Atlanta, Georgia for now. I am moving to Savannah in a year where I will keep my boat. For now it's on Lake Lanier.
Boat: BRISTOL 29.9 #160

In over my Head, Part 2
I have a confession to make. My friends and my family all believe I have lost my mind. They say I remind them of the guy in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". I can't help it. I have fallen in love with sailing. It's part your fault. I love reading all of your posts. I have taken that first step on a fantastic journey or that is what it feels like. I also have realized I have a million more to go. Diesel engines, weather forecasting, navigation, boat design, charts, oh my!
I will need all the help you can give me. My heart sank when I read Beth Leonard's first chapter and learned that I was too old to circumnavigate (my initial dream). I am 63. I am not deterred (read smart). I have to buy a boat first. This is an exciting step and I am mystified by the choices you have to work through. My ego says one thing and my mind tells me another! I want a boat I can sail by myself and still safely sail from Georgia through the Panama Canal which is my new goal. Can I handle a 32 foot cutter? I want to be safe in blue water but I know I have physical limitations. I'm not 30 years old. A Cape Dory 30C? An Alberg 30? Or an Alberg 35? Can I even look at 30 to 35 ft boats or do I need to stay under 30 ft? Is there a significant difference between say a 28 or 32 ft. and a 35 ft.? Or does it totally depend on the boat? HELP!!
morningdewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 11:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningdewman View Post
In over my Head, Part 2
I have a confession to make. My friends and my family all believe I have lost my mind. They say I remind them of the guy in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". I can't help it. I have fallen in love with sailing. It's part your fault. I love reading all of your posts. I have taken that first step on a fantastic journey or that is what it feels like. I also have realized I have a million more to go. Diesel engines, weather forecasting, navigation, boat design, charts, oh my!
I will need all the help you can give me. My heart sank when I read Beth Leonard's first chapter and learned that I was too old to circumnavigate (my initial dream). I am 63. I am not deterred (read smart). I have to buy a boat first. This is an exciting step and I am mystified by the choices you have to work through. My ego says one thing and my mind tells me another! I want a boat I can sail by myself and still safely sail from Georgia through the Panama Canal which is my new goal. Can I handle a 32 foot cutter? I want to be safe in blue water but I know I have physical limitations. I'm not 30 years old. A Cape Dory 30C? An Alberg 30? Or an Alberg 35? Can I even look at 30 to 35 ft boats or do I need to stay under 30 ft? Is there a significant difference between say a 28 or 32 ft. and a 35 ft.? Or does it totally depend on the boat? HELP!!
Time for you to get some sea time. Is 63 too old? You'll get a lot of folks here saying, no. Find some ol' salts you can get a ride with in their boats and then ask them lots of questions, they probably won't mind! Get a little boat like a Laser and go out every day and have a blast, be a kid, in all kinds of weather! Slowly your boat preferences will emerge... big boats are just like little boats but they respond slower and go faster. That being said there is a lot to appreciate in going a little smaller. Personally, as soon as I read your post I thought "Valiant 40," (and that is on the larger side for me.) Good performance, good rep.. certain years had blister issues though. There are lots of good possibilities, no need to give up or be brought down by naysayers. If you want a heavy full-keeler, lots of folks here can direct you. If you want a good bluewater boat with better performance you'll probably be headed to a fin keel, molded in, with a skeg-hung rudder. There are certainly good ones in the 35-40 range, there was a Hinckley 38 shown on another thread that I would sure get a look at if I were in the market in New York. I bet you'll find a lot of folks here who have built dirt mountains in their living rooms (along with models of one or another "perfect" boats!)
have you seen this site?
http://bluewaterboats.org/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-10-2016, 11:41   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
My heart sank when I read Beth Leonard's first chapter and learned that I was too old to circumnavigate (my initial dream). I am 63.
This lady doesn't agree with Beth

Jeanne Socrates, 70, becomes oldest woman to sail solo round world non-stop | Daily Mail Online

http://svnereida.com/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 11:53   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In over my Head, Part 2
I don't think you are too old. Look up Jeanne Socrates and what she is doing. Other "seniors" have done something similar. Even here on CF there are many cruiser who are in their 60s and 70s. Look at what the Cates (members here) do for example.

And, since you mentioned the Alberg 30 for long distance cruising, here is a copy of a Crew Wanted post that is currently on CF. IF you have the time and some money, you could consider flying to join this young man on his Alberg 30 in Hawaii as he sails to Thailand. THAT would be an experience. He needs or wants help, and it is the type of boat you are considering. So, you could gain a lot of experience and at little cost to you (airfare, food). Good luck on your future sailing.

Aloha,
I'm looking for one unpaid (you pay for flights/food/etc.) crewperson to sail to the Marshall Islands and beyond from Oahu in mid/late September 2016. I have a 1968 Alberg 30 and will not be using the motor as I am on a trip around the world without ever using a motor. Routes of Change. The boat is proven seaworthy but it is small and uncomfortable in big seas.

I will be surfing and working with local communities as much as possible along the 5-6 month journey to Hong Kong. You are welcome to hop on or off anywhere along the way but you are responsible for flights and any expenses. If you are serious about joining please let me know why.
Mahalo!
Markus
Old 28-10-2016, 11:54   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Age depends on you, your physical condition, health, heredity etc. I have met 70 yr olds that were in better condition than I am (I'm 57) and 40 year olds that were worse.
Although I'm pretty sure if you keep waiting, you may wait too long, we don't have as long as most 40 yr olds do.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 12:51   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

To add to the encouragement from others; if you spent the next few years learning to sail and prepping the boat, even if you dont actually circumnavigate you will have had a great time!
The worst thing you can do is give up before you start.
Old 28-10-2016, 14:50   #11

For us older guys we just have to be sure we don't sail too far from a good urologist.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-10-2016, 15:15   #12

Boat: Ingrid 38

I'm 63 too. Just bought my second boat last year and we are fixing it up for cruising during retirement. Age is just a number - do what you can to stay healthy and fit and you'll probably manage just fine. I think most would consider 30' close to the minimum for blue water cruising, and if you're a reasonably fit person you can singlehand a 30 - 35 foot sloop or cutter, or even larger. And don't be at all intimidated by the learning curve. Sure, there is a lot to know, but we all learn it along the way. You don't have to have ALL the knowledge before you start. In fact, for me it's learning about such a wide variety of things that keeps boating interesting. There's always something new to figure out, and we humans thrive on challenge. Keep your dream, get a boat when you can and just embrace the experience!
babaluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 14:15   #13

Boat: Morgan 36 Yanmar 3GMF 20HP

I just bought my first sailboat at 65 years young, a Morgan 36. Had it for 2 months sailed it 3 times to the coast. Lots of down time with fiberglass, fuel line, and motor mount items to repair. The deck still leaks below in 7 of 11 places. Nice retirement toy. Always something to do.

from Ponce Inlet, FL
illanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 14:31   #14

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

If you're interested, I have a Morris Leigh 30 we need to sell. Great seaworthy, comfortable cruising boat - easy to sail...
See listing willing to hear offers

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979...s#.WCo5-Os8KrU

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1479162615.609670.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	136203

Tags
head