Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2014, 06:58   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: I'm A Newbie Today

Welcome aboard and enjoy your retirement. That is one big 50 footer you have there!
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 07:22   #17

Pretty boat, no problem with the row away factor on that boat!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 09:19   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 50' Ketch

Thank you all for such a warm welcome.... I know when I finally bring Magic home it will be hard to leave SF Bay and head north...I get the feeling she is going to want to tack a bit towards the south and then due west for a couple thousand miles...I will post more pictures as the journey progresses....
CptJ-GS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 13:12   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptJ-GS50 View Post
Yes the interior space will be quite a difference and I am looking forward to it. I plan to sail with a crew of two though I have a long list of would be passengers at this time. There are a few changes I will be making on the running rigging to make it easier to handle from the cockpit but they are minor. Also I am considering a bow thruster to ease some of stress in the swift current docking situations we can face in the Columbia. I have also helped a lot of people out of situations in the Astoria West Basin and the Port of Ilwaco. There is a good reason the Columbia River Bar is called the Graveyard of the Pacific. No matter your experience level....when the wind kicks up....docking can be a touchy situation.
You got that right! The last time I crewed a boat into the West Basin the wind was up to gusting 47 knots. Luckily we were blanketed a bit by the shore. We were nearly over the bar a couple days later and the CG chased us back until it settled down a bit. We could have made it but it was bouncy.
Old 29-01-2014, 10:07   #20

Lest see....the new prop is ordered..Michigan MP 23x17 RH...diver is contracted to install ($10 per diameter inch).... Marine Lube is inspecting the main fuel tank today to quote me on putting in an access port and polishing or just cleaning it out. Can't wait for this quote. Then we are down to waiting on the transmission to ship from Italy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0746.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	74908  
Old 29-01-2014, 12:17   #21

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum Capt-GS50. That certainly is a nice vessel. I did a dungy season out of Warrenton, OR, and I have huge respect for that bar. Like you, got hooked at an early age, sometimes I think it would have been cheaper to be a heroin addict. I found my retirement boat too, it has a 471 Detroit, which was slobbering a huge amount of oil in the bilge, in the process of removing now, when my mech, was loosening the valve cover so it didn't get broke during the lift, he discovered a pinched valve cover gasket, was the cause. I am glad we didn't find it until, I was already committed to pulling the engine. I am going back in with an Isuzu. All the best on your trip, it might be fun to stop over in Hawaii before swinging north again.
Old 29-01-2014, 12:24   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm A Newbie Today

Hi.. Welcome to CF.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 16:03   #23

When my engine installer told me what the bilge looked like..(thick tar like substance) I questioned him how long he thought it was leaking like that. His response was something like, "It's a Perkins... When was it put in?" I responded, "1978". His reply was, "Well....with the best of care they didn't leak until 6 years old. So.... 1982 till 2012." I do wish I could have gotten some of the SuperFund clean up $$'s.

I have a lot of respect for the Columbia River Bar...
A couple years ago I set out from the West Basin heading for Ilwaco. Winds here brisk at about 20 knts and the seas were a bit choppy in the 4 to 5' range. Not quite at low tide yet I was going with the flow under full sail in the shipping lanes about 20 degrees off the wind. Approaching the edge of the bar the winds shifted head on. Made the rest of the trip across under bare poles into a 40 knt headwind and 8 to 10' waves. My boat got a good deck washing and the bottom got really clean as kept launching off the waves and piercing thru the next. Totally awesome crossing that day. Docking in Ilwaco is always a thrill... If it wasn't for the SeaGull crap on the guest docks they would probably float away. (Seagull crap the glue that binds). The docks are usually empty so I drop the fenders...go to the middle of the two slips and let the wind position me.

Two days later I had one of the best sailing experiences of my life. Left Ilwaco under partly cloudy skies. 10 knt breeze at about 120 degrees. Incoming tide with 12' swells at 16 sec following seas. Surfing a 10,500 lb sailboat was incredible. Watching as the swells built behind me. I would swear they would join me in the cockpit and about that time the stern would lift and away I would go. Surfing/Sailing the swell as long as I could and then finding myself back in the trough. Over and over played the same game for about 5 hours. I wish I had had my Go-Pro back then.
Old 30-01-2014, 04:52   #24

Boat: Skookum 53'

I got really lucky the first time I crossed that bar, I was bringing a boat in from Alaska in October, crossin the gulf of Alaska in October is never a good idea. Anyway we got spanked all the way acrossed, except when we got to the Columbia river, that night was flat calm, high slack water, very nice. The next trip out to splash the pots was another story entirely. I was never far from my survival suit.
Old 30-01-2014, 15:56   #25

Yes, the Bar is to be respected. I always have the safety and survival gear close at hand. A couple years ago I was heading out on a very calm day...though there was a fog bank and a nice breeze we headed on out. On a normal day the fog lifts and you head right underneath it or is dissipates. This day my wife was on the bow of my Cascade 29 when suddenly I lost her and watched my boat disappear in front of my eyes. I checked the compass...yelled my intentions and turned 180 degrees and sailed out of it as quickly as I sailed into it. "Lesson Learned."