Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2011, 06:03   #1
CCG

I'm a Newbie, Saying Hello

Hi, Just joined this great site and wanted to say hello. I own a Chris Craft Catalina 381 and am now at a marina near Hilton Head, South Carolina. I am thinking of moving her to Virginia. My LBU (land based unit) is in PA, but I spend half time here and half time at the boat.

Can anyone recommend a super marina in Virginia. What I hope to find: Dog friendly, live aboards ok, some green space, washer/dryer, good staff and maintenance, nice docks (wide finger pier), fun people!!!, fuel available.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Glad to be part of the group!
CCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 07:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ChrisCraftGirl.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 07:39   #3

CCG

Welcome aboard!

There are probably a hundred (or more) marinas in VA that will meet your requirements. The only one that I have had any real experience with though is in the Hampton Roads area, Southall Landings (Southall Landings Marina - Your Closest Link to the Chesapeake Bay). I think it meets most of your requirements but you will want to check with them on the channel status. They are dredging it now but call ahead.

Greg
Late Coffee…Early Cocktails
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 08:07   #4

Welcome aboard.

I would recommend Deltaville, VA. Deltaville Marina on Jackson Creek, Virginia - Just minutes from the Chesapeake Bay!

If you are willing to go a bit farther into Maryland, Herrington Harbor Marina is a nice location. Herrington Harbour Marinas Chesapeake Bay Resort - Dining - Waterfront Lodging

Hope this helps.
Coolruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 08:16   #5
CCG

Thanks for permission to come aboard!

Thanks, this is all really helpful and saves searching time and driving from marina to marina..... which is how I found the one where I am now.

Headed back down to South Carolina at the end of February and will check these out. I'll call first to make sure liveaboards are ok.

My chris craft is a 1989 and I will appreciate lots of advice on a few upgrades I want to do.

Thanks again.

Kate
Old 15-01-2011, 08:34   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
Greetings

I wanted to give another vote for Herrington Harbour North. What a fantastic place, a resort marina. I livedaboard there, as did many friends. It has all amenities on site. West Marine, travel lift, storage on the hard, services, pool, private cabana's, even a bar and restaurant.

It is about 18 miles to Annapolis and a short cruise to some of the best destinations on the terrific Chesapeake Bay. Galesville on the West River, Tilgman Island, St Michael's, Oxford. SO many great places.

And would not be a bad drive from PA.

Winter's of course are cold and the water can freeze over. Most people use bubblers to keep their slip clear. There is some cruising in the winter, though...depending on the day and conditions on the bay...but nothing like being further south, like SC. Living aboard in the winter is not a problem, many do.

Hope this helps.

Best

John
s/v Invictus
lying Stuart FL
Old 15-01-2011, 08:37   #7
CCG

This is great!

How did you guys get pics of your boats on here? By way of attachments at the bottom of the reply thread?
Old 15-01-2011, 12:37   #8

As you look at the various marinas don't forget to ask about "boat tax", AKA personal property tax. Again, all I can talk too is Hampton which, at the moment, is $0. We looked at a lot of very nice marinas in Virginia a few years ago and had to rule them out due to the extra tax cost of staying there. Some places are higher than others and, depending on the value of your boat, may or may not be a factor for considering them.

Best of luck. It's a great area and I think you'll enjoy it wherever you end up.

Greg
Old 15-01-2011, 13:25   #9
CCG

Thanks Greg, I wasn't considering that. According to South Carolina, I'm free and clear of personal property tax because my boat is registered in Pennsylvania. That's what I was told, but I'll be sure to check on that too.

Hampton, live aboard ok there? Right now I'm paying $575 per month. I know the further north you go, the rates drop....that's a plus.

I think that will be my first stop on my search. There is a possibility of freezing in though? I know nothing about bubblers. Are they expensive? Do marinas provide them by chance?

Kate
Old 15-01-2011, 13:33   #10
CCG

Sorry, I'll do my own research now on these marinas. I just got excited about it and have a million questions. Wow, save a buck! The ones I've looked at so far that you've recommended are half the price I'm paying now.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Can't wait to check them out.

Kate
Old 15-01-2011, 18:45   #11

Ice - As of right now I've been told that there is a skim of ice forming in the fairways at night but it disappears during the day. It looks like they will have at least a short warming spell over the next few days so even that should not be an issue. I've never heard of anyone using a bubbler in the area but, with the recent climate extremes we've seen, who knows?
Liveaboard - There is only one "authorized" liveaboard marina that I know of in Hampton, the rest are Don't Ask, Don't Tell. (no fee... "I don't have any liveaboards in my marina! But i do have quite a few people who spend a LOT of time on their boats.") But you'll need to check that out yourself. Best to show up in person, dressed respectably, and ask discreetly. I've found that over the phone the answer is almost always - No.

Greg
Old 15-01-2011, 19:16   #12

Boat: 44 M/Y gulfstar
Hi I'm Don on s/v SeaTrek in folly beach sc glad to meet you
Old 15-01-2011, 20:47   #13

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Welcome to CF!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 05:07   #14
CCG

All great info. Thanks so much. I know what you're saying. I was at Charleston Harbor for three years and the contract said "no live aboards", but like your marina, I saw people there quite a bit.

Almost made a huge mistake in Georgia. Their state law is, I was told at the marina, you may only be on your boat 30 days out of the year, and that is not consecutive days. That's what I was told, assume it's true.

I left South Carolina to come back to PA for awhile to get WARM. I kept asking if I was in the south--the temps and the winds were brutal. Lost a crew member to the winds, Humphrey, my Christmas tree who was on the top deck. The temps kept dropping down to 23 at night. It was a hassle unhooking all my hoses, draining my lines, and then hooking everything up the next morning. Boat stayed nice and cozy though :-) as I prayed there would not be a power outage. I have a generator, but it hasn't cranked over yet. I just got this boat in September and am still messing with all the systems. I figure if you are going to own a boat on your own, you better know what's going on and how to do the maintenance so I'm still getting the feel of her...and learning....always learning.

Thanks Greg.
Old 22-01-2011, 16:36   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Did you figure out the attaching a photo thing? Just go to the advance area, "Go Advanced" and then to manage attachments. I just did it so I know it works. The size of your photos matters so you may have to resize them smaller to get them to work.
kind regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nautical Oddity 2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	23020