Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-05-2014, 11:54   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: I would love advice in getting started

I think you'll find most of the YCs on LI go back to the Golden Age and there will be an initiation fee, plus annual membership fee, plus referral by two members, with some sort of probie or junior arrangements. Membership has been down in recent years with the economy. IIRC the Kinckerbocker in Port Washington shut down two years ago. Most are social clubs, country clubs, beach clubs, not just a place to keep or sail boats. And most will gladly give newcomers a tour, often have some type of guest program to meet the members, who in turn can invite you to come sailing on those weeknight, etc. races with them.
Needless to say if someone says "come out with us this weekend" and you spring for a basket of sandwiches and drinks, you're very likely to be invited back out and shared with others who need crew.

But as for price...in order to keep their restaurants booked, many also require the members to spend a fixed amount ($500? $1000?) per season in the restaurant, along with the other costs. If they didn't do it that way, they couldn't keep the food services open. That's just the way it is.

So sailing lessons, even basic + intermediate, six days between them, should still cost a whole lot less than a YC membership on LI. Even less than a "junior" or "associate" membership. You'll have to enquire to find out, because it is taboo to mention filthy things like prices on their web sites.

Old 05-05-2014, 20:19   #17

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

Hello, welcome.

I am new myself so not much good for advice.

Experience I can add or agree about the sailing courses. My wife and I have done the ASA courses in order to 104 with a plan to keep going. She did hers via a city sponsored program in San Diego and I via a yacht club in San Diego. The yacht club boats were larger Hunter 36/38s. Hers smaller sail only boats. We also upon lots of research decided on a 36-38 foot catamaran. So our next step was bareboat an Athena 38 out of the BVI. We hired a captain and did our ASA 104 then the first 2 days of our 8 day charter. We then dropped off the captain and continued alone. Money and time well spent. The whole family had a blast. We believe in small steps. Get lessons then hands on. More lessons, more hands on.
We hope to close on our live aboard cat in St Martin June 25th. Put mantra is to live fearlessly. To us it means to take fear out of the decisions and live. Good luck with your search.

Old 05-05-2014, 21:04   #18

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastdaddy View Post
Hello, welcome.

I am new myself so not much good for advice.

Experience I can add or agree about the sailing courses. My wife and I have done the ASA courses in order to 104 with a plan to keep going. She did hers via a city sponsored program in San Diego and I via a yacht club in San Diego. The yacht club boats were larger Hunter 36/38s. Hers smaller sail only boats. We also upon lots of research decided on a 36-38 foot catamaran. So our next step was bareboat an Athena 38 out of the BVI. We hired a captain and did our ASA 104 then the first 2 days of our 8 day charter. We then dropped off the captain and continued alone. Money and time well spent. The whole family had a blast. We believe in small steps. Get lessons then hands on. More lessons, more hands on.
We hope to close on our live aboard cat in St Martin June 25th. Put mantra is to live fearlessly. To us it means to take fear out of the decisions and live. Good luck with your search.
Ok, probably the last time I will ever post from an iPhone. My apologies for grammar (due mostly to word substitution I didn't correct).

Short version.
I completely agree with the good advice to get lessons and charter before buying. It worked for us so far. Every time we go sailing we are learning. Either with an instructor or on our own.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:20   #19

Hellosailor,

Thanks for your advice and help. I reached out to few YCs and looks like North Shore YC may fit the bill. Thanks again.

Happy Sailing
Old 06-05-2014, 07:26   #20

Please don't apologize for spelling. I am going try to get as much time and lessons to catch up to guys. Already a bit jealous about your near future sailing plans. Hopefully we can sail in the Caribbean together. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy and be safe.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:44   #21

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I

But as for price...in order to keep their restaurants booked, many also require the members to spend a fixed amount ($500? $1000?) per season in the restaurant, along with the other costs. If they didn't do it that way, they couldn't keep the food services open. That's just the way it is.

So sailing lessons, even basic + intermediate, six days between them, should still cost a whole lot less than a YC membership on LI. Even less than a "junior" or "associate" membership. You'll have to enquire to find out, because it is taboo to mention filthy things like prices on their web sites.
Here is a site that lists lots of YCs that may help you find one worth checking out.

Yacht Clubs of the World
Old 09-05-2014, 07:32   #22

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

Starting from nothing, I suggest you first start race crewing, and if you like it, buy a small simple boat you can run by yourself. It will cost less than most cars, and you will quickly get a feeling for what kind of boat you like. If you have a spouse, their opinion will matter quite a bit too.

It's pretty easy to learn the lines while racing. Remember, every race boat needs 3-6 non-boat-owners to help run it. If you are young and nimble, a good career path goes jib trimmer, main trimmer, mast, pit, foredeck. If you have a mind that fits it, learn to read weather charts. Even if you're just racing around the cans in the middle of a harbour you will learn, and if you try distance racing, you'll even get a taste for sailing at night. Make sure you find a skipper who is safety-minded you will learn skills that could save your life.

In terms of education, a basic cruising course (summer) and chart-reading course (winter) would be sensible to have before you buy. Most boat clubs offer combination courses and crew memberships for cheap - for instance, the NYC in Toronto has a combination intro keelboat course and 1 year crew membership for $420.

You can get a feel for the snootiness of a club by its clubhouse style (fancy restaurant? simple wood and beam structure? high school portables?) and how many, if any, fulltime staff the club needs to run.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:04   #23

Thanks to everyone for their great advice.
I think I found a good YC for me --- North Shore YC in Port Washington. They just have boating activites, perfect for me. Thanks again for your help.
Happy sailing.
Old 12-05-2014, 14:09   #24

Boat: Tanzer 27

Hello!

I live on Long Island as well and also have similar aspirations of cruising the Caribbean... And like you I also joined today...

Started my quest about two years ago when I got the sailing bug and immediately went looking for a large brand new keel boat and just about pulled the trigger on a Bavaria Vision 46 when I remembered I didn't have the slightest clue how to sail...

So I went all in anyway (kind of) and bought an old 27' Tanzer as a project boat to teach myself not only basic maintenance and the workings of a yacht but also... How to sail :/

Rather than beat up a 350k investment I figured I'd start small and bareboat charter a few times through one of the fractional programs eventually before stepping into something as large as a 46. Been a power boat guy most of my adult life but am discovering that sailing yachts present their own unique set of challenges....like reverse -

Or, rather the lack thereof, etc -

I'd be glad to keep you posted if you do the same.

Cheers and best of luck -

Blue sky's and tailwinds
Old 12-05-2014, 14:11   #25

Been to a few meetings at the NSYC -

Great group of folks -

We're probably joining ourselves
Old 12-05-2014, 16:04   #26

Hi seaturk,

Nice to know someone with similar aspirations. How's ur 27 working out so far?

Since we are both li, if u need help with anything let me know. I am realizing that experience is the best thing for me and I need to get my hands wet (pun intended). I am pretty flexible with my schedule so feel free to bounce any ideas off me or if I can help u with anything. Btw, Sara and Ethan are my kids ... my name is not sara nor am I a woman. Realized my user name can be misleading.

Keep me posted of doings as well. Happy n safe sailing.
Old 12-05-2014, 16:20   #27

Re: I Would Love Advice in Getting Started

No worries either way... The admiral will surely approve -

Thus far we love the tanzer... It splashed last week in Huntington and we've been out 3 times already... All three were a comedy of errors thus far but it's what it's all about right?

Cheers!

We'll probably see you at the club
Old 13-05-2014, 07:20   #28

Boat: One of a kind, 70', 3 masted, Junk Rig Schooner
Re: I Would Love Advice in Getting Started

Des Reckoner has shared some very wise advice worthy to be heeded!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: