Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 17:13   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
I Must Be Out to Lunch . . .

Here's the deal: I'm getting on a plane early tomorrow morning to fly South and spend a couple of days contemplating the purchase of my first "Big Boat." I have a 26' daysalor and a beach cat that I sail very often and have done some crusing on larger boat in the PNW.
The boat I'm looking at is a 1975 heavier displacement full keel ketch. Between CF, other internet sources, personal contacts etc. I feel I've done a thorough job of researching. I've recieved very practical advice from folks that really know their stuff. A few high points:

-Full keel Boats won't be as Fun when the wind isn't blowing

-Ketches are expensive to maintain and won't point as well.

-Don't jump in an buy a big boat! Lots of people that buy big boats never use them. You're young....buy a smaller boat and work your way into the crusing lifestyle.

-Don't buy an old boat! with the sam money buy newer (thus smaller).

Here lies the issue: I still want the boat! (or a boat like it). I feel like I'm being the stereotypical "newbie" that wants to buy the biggest and stoutest boat they can afford only to have their dreams shattered by a lack of actually usiung the boat, overwhelming repair and maintenance, and frustratingly motoring in light winds while lighter fin keel sloops sail.
I understand the logic of getting the horse before the cart, but am I totallly silly? I understand that the above analysis likely pertiains to the majority of the population however:

-I anticipate having the time to actually use the boat with time become mroe and more4 available as time goes on.

-I anticipate ocean passages in the future.

-My personality is such that if I buy a smaller boat, I will no doubt want to upgrade to a larger boat within 5 years (thus losing any money I sink boat that must be sold).

-I like the concept of an older hand laid hull that I can "invest" money into and feel good about having a good foundation and perhaps never outgrow the boat. I am 29 so it's not like I have to "go now" (although I anticipate using the boat immediatley). If I were truning 60 and retiring next year, my approach may be different.....perhaps not want to deal with any upgrading/repairs.

-There's the sixth sesne as well.....a romance that goes with wanting the type of boat I am pursuing. You can't measure by how light of wind you can sail in, how the baot turn on a dime, or how "brand new" the rigging etc is.

I really do want to heed the advice of those that have the knowledge! I've seriously flipped flopped my tastes a few times over that last couple years and seriosuly taken to heart all advice recieved. So what's the worst thing that could happen? I live and learn? What's the best thing that can happen? I sure would like to explore the answer to that one.

Any last words before I pull the trigger?
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 17:20   #2

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Re: I must be out to Lunch?

"if she looks right, she probably is right."
"a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."

you seem to already know the pitfalls, so it's on your head and in your hands. good luck!
Old 09-11-2011, 17:22   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Drift View Post
Here's the deal: I'm getting on a plane early tomorrow morning to fly South and spend a couple of days contemplating the purchase of my first "Big Boat." I have a 26' daysalor and a beach cat that I sail very often and have done some crusing on larger boat in the PNW.
The boat I'm looking at is a 1975 heavier displacement full keel ketch. Between CF, other internet sources, personal contacts etc. I feel I've done a thorough job of researching. I've recieved very practical advice from folks that really know their stuff. A few high points:

-Full keel Boats won't be as Fun when the wind isn't blowing

-Ketches are expensive to maintain and won't point as well.

-Don't jump in an buy a big boat! Lots of people that buy big boats never use them. You're young....buy a smaller boat and work your way into the crusing lifestyle.

-Don't buy an old boat! with the sam money buy newer (thus smaller).

Here lies the issue: I still want the boat! (or a boat like it). I feel like I'm being the stereotypical "newbie" that wants to buy the biggest and stoutest boat they can afford only to have their dreams shattered by a lack of actually usiung the boat, overwhelming repair and maintenance, and frustratingly motoring in light winds while lighter fin keel sloops sail.
I understand the logic of getting the horse before the cart, but am I totallly silly? I understand that the above analysis likely pertiains to the majority of the population however:

-I anticipate having the time to actually use the boat with time become mroe and more4 available as time goes on.

-I anticipate ocean passages in the future.

-My personality is such that if I buy a smaller boat, I will no doubt want to upgrade to a larger boat within 5 years (thus losing any money I sink boat that must be sold).

-I like the concept of an older hand laid hull that I can "invest" money into and feel good about having a good foundation and perhaps never outgrow the boat. I am 29 so it's not like I have to "go now" (although I anticipate using the boat immediatley). If I were truning 60 and retiring next year, my approach may be different.....perhaps not want to deal with any upgrading/repairs.

-There's the sixth sesne as well.....a romance that goes with wanting the type of boat I am pursuing. You can't measure by how light of wind you can sail in, how the baot turn on a dime, or how "brand new" the rigging etc is.

I really do want to heed the advice of those that have the knowledge! I've seriously flipped flopped my tastes a few times over that last couple years and seriosuly taken to heart all advice recieved. So what's the worst thing that could happen? I live and learn? What's the best thing that can happen? I sure would like to explore the answer to that one.

Sailing is about following your heart, but also listen to that still, small voice in your ear that MIGHT be whispering, "This boat is a mistake ..."

Only you can decide. You gather all the advice you can, but remember that THEY are all following their hearts, but they do NOT have YOUR still small voice in THEIR ears. They are only saying what they prefer. Only you can decide what you want.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 17:30   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
Before I bought my peterson I did a similar thing flew south. I was so sure it was a good deal I loaded up several hundred bucks of aur cargo fees in gear. Total bust I walked away. Be ready to walk away.you did nit describe make material etc.... So it's hard to say. Be open to the idea that this might nit be the boat. A few years a few boats a ton if dreams. I would look at a boat with an established reputation. MIT some one off but something that resale appeal And reputation. Then assess the gear and replacement cost and life cycle. Something smaller may have plenty if sea value and lower life cycle costs. Essential stuff like sails rigging hoses that could be in 10,000 dollar range. I love all my screw ups but I could also have avoided some and done more sailing which is the goal. You want to sail and achieve a nice sail to working on sailing ratio. Good luck
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 17:35   #5

Thanks for the replies this far! For what its worth, boat is a 1975 Challenger. I believe the former owner is a CF member that is no longer active (Kai Nui).... Vessel name is Sundari
Old 09-11-2011, 17:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
Be ready to walk away
I certainly am! Just facing the music and admitting that a purchase may be in the cards... Heck I'm flying down for the specific purpose of scrutinizing the boat!
Old 09-11-2011, 17:46   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Thanks for the replies this far! For what its worth, boat is a 1975 Challenger. I believe the former owner is a CF member that is no longer active (Kai Nui).... Vessel name is Sundari
Yeah, some of us know Scott. If I remember right he took pretty good care of the boat.

As for your situation, if you have the sailing experience you say, I'd say go for it. You can't get boat experience in the arm chair. Just don't complain what it costs!
Old 09-11-2011, 17:50   #8

Re: I Must Be Out to Lunch . . .

"Any last words before I pull the trigger?"

PULL THE TRIGGER!!!
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 18:18   #9
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

We have a 27 year old Passport 37 in pretty good shape considering the age of the boat and that we actually go cruising (well most years). We do our best to keep the boat up, but it's a never-ending process. Do not underestimate how much maintenance will cost, because it will likely be more than you anticipated. It seems there's always something. But is it worth it? YES YES YES -- the minute we're out sailing/cruising and away from this dock, it will be beyond worth it! Good Luck & Enjoy!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 18:28   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

I stopped reading after the section about doing your research and then you said you wanted the boat.

So .............. if after looking at it if you like get it! You're the only 1 that needs to like it.
Old 09-11-2011, 19:24   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

You will be tempering your enthusiasm with a boat and engine survey -- right? Make sure they use binocs and inspect the rigging if they don't go up the mast.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 19:27   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Good luck. It's hard to know whether you are following your heart or your head sometimes but no matter which boat you buy you'll love it.
kind regards,
Old 09-11-2011, 20:43   #13

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Don't overthink it. Follow your heart. It really doesn't matter.
Old 10-11-2011, 00:42   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Buy it - but don't start taking it apart from day 1 nor adding $1,000's of "enhancements" (leaving aside that their will nonetheless be things that need money spent on).

After 6 months of ownership will know a squillion percent more about whether this boat is a keeper (for you) in both design and condition.

and if not, flog it on to another mug - errrr, I mean another person with a dream
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:05   #15

Quote:
The boat I'm looking at is a 1975 heavier displacement full keel ketch. Between CF, other internet sources, personal contacts etc. I feel I've done a thorough job of researching. I've recieved very practical advice from folks that really know their stuff.
Don't worry; you won't shoot yourself in the foot. We've never been happier with our full keeled, heavy cruiser, ketch. (Save some money for a bow thruster ) You won't be the first one back to the dock; but you'll get home in comfort, best of all dry.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote