Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:15   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: I Must Be Out to Lunch . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Don't worry; you won't shoot yourself in the foot. We've never been happier with our full keeled, heavy cruiser, ketch. (Save some money for a bow thruster ) You won't be the first one back to the dock; but you'll get home in comfort, best of all dry.

And overall, they'll handle better in higher winds.

But if you run hard aground, they can be harder to get off.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:20   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
Thanks to all for the sage advice! Have landed at my destination, fingers on the trigger..... To be continued!
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:45   #18

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
Do not underestimate how much maintenance will cost, because it will likely be more than you anticipated. It seems there's always something. But is it worth it? YES YES YES -- the minute you're out sailing/cruising and away from the dock, it will be beyond worth it! Good Luck & Enjoy!
+1 We bought our big, heavy, old ketch in 2008 and never looked back. We love it. Presuming she checks out, the worst that can happen is you'll pay a bit more for dockage & maintenance, but you'll appreciate the weight and full keel the first time a squall runs over you. As for light air, get a drifter and enjoy. If it feels right, do it. Good luck and fair winds.

Bob & Judy
s/v Adagio
Old 10-11-2011, 11:18   #19

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

BTW - Welcome Aboard
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20   #20

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Well I this pass August bought a Harden45... She is a full keel ketch and is big enough for me to change both my mind and pants without having to go topsides.
She will be my live-aboard crusing boat... Pending were I'm at as to whether it is a live-aboard or am cruising with her. Cruising is a better life style IMHO.
So go for your dreams and enjoy.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 19:03   #21

Thanks all for the words of wisdom. Totally loved the boat itself, just had two many interior aspects that were mid construction and unfinished. Wish it were different because I was completely ready to buy....for the record, it sailed like a dream!!!
Now at the Santa Barbara airport with a bit of melancholy but feel good about the fact that I'm one step closer to "the right boat."

There is another Challenger 40 that's for sale that I've already viewed, just have to decide if I'm ok with the fact that its a sloop rigged fin keel variation..... Needless to say, I've warmed up to the full keel ketch concept. I'm specifically Nervous about the skeg connection.

Here to other fish in the sea!
Old 11-11-2011, 19:25   #22

Boat: Oyster 53

Congratulations on having the balls to go and having same balls to walk away. I think the right boat for you is just around the corner. This is a big investment financially and emotionally so you can't be too careful.

When my wife and I were looking for our Tayana 52, we flew to Florida, we flew to California, we even flew to Thailand and then found her in Malaysia. The thing is, after looking at all those boats as soon as we stepped aboard her we KNEW she was the one. It was a cool moment.

Also, I am from Santa Barbara. You will find way more boats in Florida, particularly Ft. Lauderdale.

Good luck.

Dhillen
Old 11-11-2011, 19:30   #23

Boat: PETERSON 44
Hard to walk away as I said earlier did that. Found a boat that I didn't need to fly and look at i was convinced this was the boat bought ticket and flew in gear for the purchase, wasted time and money, I was pissed as the owner way over represented the boat, wasted Money but gain in experience. Wound up with a great boat didn't fly anywhere. Needed work but it's my boat I got over the disappointment and live to sail. If that helps good did that once and it worked out best.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44   #24

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:43   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Tyler,
You'll know when you see "the right" boat for you. It just hasn't presented itself yet. I'm glad you walked away when you realized it just wasn't right. The worst thing you can do is purchase something that you fall "in lust" with knowing that it isn't quite right. Sorry for all the quotation marks.
Is your First Mate joining you on these searches?
kind regards,
Old 12-11-2011, 20:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha Tyler,
You'll know when you see "the right" boat for you. It just hasn't presented itself yet. I'm glad you walked away when you realized it just wasn't right. The worst thing you can do is purchase something that you fall "in lust" with knowing that it isn't quite right. Sorry for all the quotation marks.
Is your First Mate joining you on these searches?
kind regards,
Thanks John! Yes...first mate is in attendance although she missed the recent endeavor to CA.
Old 13-11-2011, 10:40   #27

Boat: Island Packet 380 39'5"

I wish we had done the whole cruising thing when we were younger...I can't wait to know what you decide...I just posted so I would get notified when you post here...we are 3/4 way thru a circumnavigation in retirement years but love every minute...in a 38' full keel boat...did the Indian ocean alone this year ...so we are doin' OK for old folks!!!

Good luck to a young kid with good ideas and spirit...loved reading all this...
Old 13-11-2011, 11:17   #28

I have a feeling you're going to do fine.

A few other tips:

Good boats in good shape rarely sell at huge discounts. It happens but you can spend a very long time and a lot of money trying to find one. What's your time worth? No one (including you) is going to care two years later whether you saved an extra $4200.

Boats over 10 years old are going to consume at least $25K-$50k in first year upgrades and repairs. Don't give up on a boat just because it needs a $5K fix.

Buy a "good builder" and "good previous owners". The two most important things. Why would you want to own a boat built or owned by someone who didn't care or didn't have the money to do what's right?

Never think "This is my last boat". It's not. It's obvious from your posts. You have the disease. If you get a sloop now, you can have a ketch next time. Every rig has it's own attractions (like women - oops )

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 11:32   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I have a feeling you're going to do fine.

A few other tips:

Good boats in good shape rarely sell at huge discounts. It happens but you can spend a very long time and a lot of money trying to find one. What's your time worth? No one (including you) is going to care two years later whether you saved an extra $4200.

Boats over 10 years old are going to consume at least $25K-$50k in first year upgrades and repairs. Don't give up on a boat just because it needs a $5K fix.

Buy a "good builder" and "good previous owners". The two most important things. Why would you want to own a boat built or owned by someone who didn't care or didn't have the money to do what's right?

Never think "This is my last boat". It's not. It's obvious from your posts. You have the disease. If you get a sloop now, you can have a ketch next time. Every rig has it's own attractions (like women - oops )

Carl
one man's opinion.i bought a 1976 formsa for 10k. has dabomb steering unit, good and upgradable gps, radar..... and a VERY VERY SOUND HULL
i have put less that 5000 dollars into fixing her --inclusive of replacement of engine from blown up westerfreeked 4-107 to nice purring perkins 4-108, and bow deck backing plate replacement so i can actually anchor and use a forstaysail with knowledge i wont lose a portion of my deck to winds.
you get that for which you SEARCH. is findable and just takes time.
probllem with "settling" for another boat and counting on being able to sell it in a reasonable amount of time-- FORGET THAT.market is not supportive of that theory anymore. buy what you WANT now--- i am 5 yrs into selling a sweet sloop--i cruise a solid ketch.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote