Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-11-2008, 17:31   #61

Boat: NorSea 27, Daphne
Thanks, Dan, for removing my link. Its become habit to sign my name with that link as well...I've never gotten a response like this and I will surely remember this for the next forum I post on.

Thanks also to Christian for showing continual support and bringing attention my original post.

And also, a thanks to Scott for the heartfelt apology...I do understand that things can be taken in a variety of ways via written word on the internet. I think I'm experiencing that myself and it can be frustrating, but I try to read each post with that understanding.

Many thanks to all for the support.

And to answer the question about winter living in a cold climate...I have moved locations since my last post, but am still in a cold environment. For the winter, I will build a wood frame on the deck of the boat and cover the entire boat with a canvass cover. Look for pictures on the blog in early December.

Teresa

Old 23-11-2008, 18:53   #62

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I hope with all my heart she will continue to post here and we benifit from having her here.

Scott
I second that! The first thread I ever posted in here was almost my last. I never really knew what "trolls" meant until I posted here. Since that posting however, I have had a TON of positive interaction with some really nice, true cruisers on this forum. There are some REALLY intelligent people on this forum who have actually been there, done that. Dan and Scott are good people who know their stuff. I am refitting a big ketch right now, and have had some great ideas shared with me by people who know what their talkin' about. Teresa, if ya need anything, don't hesitate to ask!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 19:49   #63

Boat: Morgan OI 414
I would just like to say that I really admire a young lady such as yourself taking on an endeavor like you have. You have quite an adventourous soul and there are not very many females who share your dreams and goals while solo.

If you worked for Outward Bound and was the Captain on one of those bare with no accomidation sailing vessels than you have much respect from me. I have been to the Outward Bound facility in Maine visiting my friend Chris Wells who runs the support vessels for Outward bound. While I was there I helped him run supplies several times. I wonder if you have worked in Maine and done the Hurricane island excursions for them. What a beautiful area that is. One day I would love to cruise up there.

Anyway, I enjoy reading your sites and blogs. Your doing a great job. Keep your dreams and goals alive because they are good ones. I wish you the best.
Old 24-11-2008, 01:58   #64

Boat: van de stadt 34
pretty boat nice name.dont worry about the look you make your own.happy sailing.....
Old 15-12-2008, 18:42   #65

Hello again. Some of you were wondering about my winter plans. I just posted some pictures on my blog of the winter cover frame. Its still in progress. I'll post more soon.
Teresa
Old 26-12-2008, 07:26   #66

I back once again to let you know that the pics of the winter cover (with canvass this time) are now posted on my blog.
Teresa
Old 26-12-2008, 09:54   #67

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Hello again Teresa,
I keep up with your blog, and got a chuckle from your story of rushing the kerosene stove. When learnin to light and control our diesel heater, I basically lost my eyebrows, eyelashes, and what hair I have left on my head. It happened very fast - felt like I had a sunburn for a day or two.

Once you figure out how to work the little stoves, they make life pretty nice!
Old 26-12-2008, 21:45   #68

Thanks swabbmob! It made me laugh too. I had lit it successfully many times before, and many times since then, but that day was especially cold and I just didn't prime it well enough. Glad you like the blog. And now I know its called "rushing the stove"
Teresa
Old 27-12-2008, 14:04   #69

Boat: A Classic 1959 Herreshoff Ketch, 38' S/V ORCA
Really enjoy reading your blog.

Getting to know you through it feels almost like making a new friend, -if you know what I mean...

Best regards, -Spinner

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...
Spin_Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 08:46   #70

Thanks Spinner! Glad you like it!
Teresa
Old 01-01-2009, 18:26   #71

Boat: Columbia 41
Hear is a lead. Go to the Portsmouth NH town webpage and navigate to "jobs". You will find a posting for manager of the Portsmouth Yacht Club in New Castle. It is seasonal from May 1 to October 31. They are accepting applicatons now. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2009, 13:29   #72

Thanks Sam. I'll look into it. I am really hoping to find a teaching job someplace on the east coast for this fall. I hope to be teaching high school science or theater and living on my boat. And, I prefer warm climates!!! If anyone has any leads on teaching jobs or great locations to liveaboard....send the suggestions my way!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Teresa
Old 04-01-2009, 14:13   #73

Teresa,

Washington DC is a nice place to live and work. My boat, a Columbia 41 is at Buzzards Point Marina on the Potomac. The Waterfront Metro stop is a short bike ride away. DC Public Schools is expanding quickly. I am an architect and much of my practice is in renovations and upgrades of schools. The school chanselor is Michelle Rhee. Putting the two together, is is possible to live on a boat and take the Metro to a school & teach. There are three marinas in DC. Buzzards Point, James Creek Marina and Gangplank Marina. I know Gangplank has liveaboard slips. I do not know about their availability.

As a second choice, Annapolis is a very nice location. They have a big boating community. Many houses have piers and a simple liveaboard deal is done all the time. You would have to ask around. A good place to start woud be the bulliten board at the Boatyard Bar in Eastport. That is walking distance from the Annapolis town pier. That's venue for the annual Annapolis Boat Show. As for teaching jobs in Annapolis, I don't know. But there are boat related jobs begging all year round.

Happy New Year to you and your cat.
Old 04-01-2009, 14:18   #74

Thanks again! I may be contacting you soon. It sounds like you have a lot of good advice for me.
Teresa
p.s. I would love to live in Annapolis! I think I had a dream about it.
Old 14-01-2009, 20:54   #75

Teresa,

I just thought I would check in and see how you are doing. Are you staying warm?

Sam

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: