Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-11-2008, 16:09   #46

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hi Stillraining! Although I might be very wrong, I read WCsailor's comments as quite sarcastic and quite insulting. I believe I understand Dan's comments and see his point about Teresa's web design, but I must disagree. I came away with an understanding of where shes goin' and how shes gettin' there. Yes, if the site was put up strictly to generate an income, I'm not sure how long she could hold on. I believe it's alot bigger then that though. Thats MY opinion...your mileage may vary. As far my Avatar...I'm not that cute!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 16:24   #47

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Hi Stillraining! Although I might be very wrong, I read WCsailor's comments as quite sarcastic and quite insulting. I believe I understand Dan's comments and see his point about Teresa's web design, but I must disagree. I came away with an understanding of where shes goin' and how shes gettin' there. Yes, if the site was put up strictly to generate an income, I'm not sure how long she could hold on. I believe it's alot bigger then that though. Thats MY opinion...your mileage may vary. As far my Avatar...I'm not that cute!
I would wager a million bucks know one here believes that money is what shes here for,for a minute..She seems honest and upfront and doing her thing..It has just been suggested to put more info up on her web page there then a link to book a gathering of like minded soles...thats all.
And it is easy to read tone into a post that is not intended to be there from the OP

No one is arguing with you at all its a great cause to live more simply

Old 20-11-2008, 17:09   #48

Boat: Tashiba 40
Little Flower,
Don't worry about the arguing, it is what some people on message boards live for. Just take the constructive remarks and use them on your website. You're off on a wonderful adventure and the fact that you are a teacher will give you a wealth of opportunities for finances and experiences. Here in the Abacos there is a special needs school called Every Child Counts. The Bahamas does not provide for special needs children so a friend of ours who had adopted two special needs children started the school and it is funded entirely by donations. It has really grown and the cruisers are very involved with it. An American couple that are also friends of ours, also liveaboards, are the prinicpal and one of the teachers. It's just a wonderful experience to visit it. They would love your program. You might think about writing a book or an article about boaters living green. It's harder than you think in these islands that think styrofoam was God's gift to the culinary industry and the laundromat is $4.00+ per wash (drying not included) to wash reuasable linens.
Old 20-11-2008, 19:14   #49
Obsfucator, Second Class

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Teresa,

I should have just directly asked you some questions instead of obliquely alluding to them in amongst the website suggestions. So, let me start over.

Your idea intrigues me. I've always thought one of the big problems with this world (and especially the US) is that we have gotten caught up in owning "stuff". We should be paying more attention to quality of life. And it seems to me that simplifying our lives is the best way to achieve that goal. So, I'd like to know about your viewpoints on living simply.

What is your idea of "living simply"? Is it more motivated by ecological ideas or spiritual or something else? (For me, it's a combination of things.) Does "living simply" always require sacrifice? Or just rearrangement? Can you live simply with a 40 hour a week job?

What are some beginning steps someone can take towards a simple life? (My first was getting rid of all debt except for house and boat)

What are some of your favorite websites that show people living the simple lifestyle or show how to do one thing simply?

What are some of your favorite books/publications that talk about ideals that fit in with your idea of a simple life? (Mother Earth News is one for me)

Of the events you've held, which type gives you the most satisfaction? In which do people seem to grasp the philosophy better?

I just want to get a feel for what you believe and how you present it. You want to give presentations, I just would like to hear a mini-presentation in a post in here. Or on your website.

BTW: I really do like your boat. In my current one, I really miss the warmth of natural wood. You mentioned sitting through a gale. Do you find it nerve racking? Or do you, like me, find it a wonderful experience to be that close to nature's power? I may be nervous, but the lasting effect is that I feel sorry for people that live their whole lives so cut off from the realities of nature.

A parting thought. Some people go on vacation and say "Oh, well. Gotta get back to the real world." I say "Oh, well. Gotta get back to the fake world." The real world is the one where our actions have a direct effect on our survival and quality of life. The fake world is where, instead of good character, good judgment, etc. often it seems that chance, a stock market manipulated economy, and other uncontrollable factors are the main reasons why some people "succeed" and some people fail.

-dan
Old 20-11-2008, 19:15   #50

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFlower View Post
Oh, believe me...it isn't paying for the new lifestyle yet. And I don't expect it to. I am having to take other jobs and am struggeling to put food on the table. Hopefully I get some donations soon. Perhaps I should send the link to Ale Gore!
Teresa
Sailing, Simplicity, and the Pursuit of Happiness
Sounds like "Hopefully I get some donations soon." a sideways request to me, but what do i know
Old 20-11-2008, 19:42   #51
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Dang, the natives are getting restless today. Chill guys, Teresa is a sailor like the rest of us, taking it one day at a time.

I for one wnat to know where Teresa buys her fashionable hats and gloves. It's 49 degrees here again tonight and I haven't been able to wear a pair of shorts in 4 days. Her hat and gloves are startin to look pretty darn good.

Another week of this and I'll be emailing Captain Sully about instructions for installing a wood burning stove in a catamaran.

Speaking of heat, how does one heat their livaboard monohull in Ma?
Old 20-11-2008, 23:30   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Speaking of heat, how does one heat their livaboard monohull in Ma?
My Girlfriend and I looked into living aboard in Boston right before moving aboard in San Diego. What people do to stay warm in Boston is koo-koo-pants. Everyone shrink wraps their boats in the water. Some of the setups are very elaborate with doors and windows. I don't know what Teresa is doing this winter (hopefully going ashore) but seeing everyone's boat all wrapped up like that pretty much sealed the deal (no pun intended) for my girlfriend and I.
Old 22-11-2008, 02:43   #53

Boat: Oday Widgeon 12' - Skipping Stone
Teresa, I've explored the site including the link for donations and here are my thoughts...

When did simple living coincide with selling magazines or taking charity? It seems to me that a few very basic, sensible, and sustaining principles have been repackaged in either glossy, trendy packages for sale or eccentric, adventurous packages for charity. As I remember it, when my single mother of six was putting herself through school, we practiced real simple living. It didn’t involve sales - no selling of ideas, just a family trying to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps with whatever means available. I will not be contributing to your vague mission of spreading simplicity, as far as I can tell my donation would only amount to supporting you in your cause to do little. Simple living in reality requires doing much and enjoying it just for the sake of doing it. I fully agree with your choice to live simply but I don’t understand the way you are promoting it. You could proudly and earnestly share your experiences with coworkers, family, and friends rather than preaching to the masses from an alienating distance. There is also the obvious matter of dissonance between your speech and actions; your boat could sell for around $40,000?
Old 22-11-2008, 05:22   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

I can't quite see what the fuss is about.

From what I can gather Little Flower is advocating and living a KISS lifestyle. Whether her motivation is the principle or economic (or a bit of both?) I don't see why that should mean not trying to make some money out of doing so given she will have acquired a lot of hands on knowledge......and sailing around selling people her knowledge sounds a good idea to me. Effectively chartering the Skipper (onboard or not) rather than boat I guess equals a lot less paperwork.

Plus I like the slight irony involved Whether she wraps the whole idea up in a "concept" (with or without crystals ) is for me immaterial. Fair play to her and I am sure not the only string to her bow.

Fair enuf her website ain't finished and maybe the begging button is a bit tasteless - but that alone won't stop me adding one to my own website , but of course for that website I will be a Blonde 21 year old Swedish Girl wearing a Bikini and single (and I look forward to my 5 page thread in the Greetings section of CF.com ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 07:45   #55
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
First my apology since you are documented. I did not see it, and have not been back to it. Not that I will be sending any donations, but BEST WISHES in spreading the word of simplicity. Could you have a large chat with my wife?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 07:54   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFlower View Post
Hi! I just bought a sailboat that I now live on with my cat. I'm located in MA for the winter and hope to set sail in the spring or summer. She is a good little boat, Nor'Sea 27 that I named Daphne after my grandmother. It had a different name before...is it still bad luck to change the name if the former name was never printed on the hull?
Teresa
Sailing, Simplicity, and the Pursuit of Happiness
Hi all. I thought I would post Teresa's original post so we all might read it again. Notice it's in the "Meets & Greets" section. Notice that she's not asking for anything. Notice that I cant imagine why she would ever post anything else on this website, after the way she was treated by the trolls around here.

Old 22-11-2008, 07:55   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Hi folks! Teresa is new here, let's continue to give her a friendly welcome and the benefit of the doubt.

Soliciting donations from site members is not allowed so we have removed the links to that site. The blog is fine and that link stays.

Maybe we can get back to discussion with Teresa about what it means to sail simply as IMHO that sounds like a worthy topic.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 08:03   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
but that alone won't stop me adding one to my own website , but of course for that website I will be a Blonde 21 year old Swedish Girl wearing a Bikini and single (and I look forward to my 5 page thread in the Greetings section of CF.com ).
Hey Dave, do ya have a link for it yet?

Old 22-11-2008, 11:11   #59
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Hey Dave, do ya have a link for it yet?
Not quite ready yet. I'm still doing "research" on Blonde 21 Year old Swedish gals in Bikinis. The internet is proving remarkably useful
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 12:42   #60

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Hi all. I thought I would post Teresa's original post so we all might read it again. Notice it's in the "Meets & Greets" section. Notice that she's not asking for anything. Notice that I cant imagine why she would ever post anything else on this website, after the way she was treated by the trolls around here.

Let me be the First to apologize to Teresa's if anything I said offended her in any way..One dosent have the ability to add body language and convey intent or soften words of there intent very well once you hit the post button..I need to remember that more often and post accordingly...which may mean not at all at times.

I hope with all my heart she will continue to post here and we benifit from having her here.

Scott

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: