Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2014, 22:07   #1

Talking I Am An Old Newbie

I am a retired helicopter pilot who has dreamed of Cruising for about 30 years. I am now to the point to do something about it and plan on spending my last years doing things a lot slower, taking my time and slowing down some. I've looked at some schools and would appreciate some input about the better ones. I would also appreciate any advice that could be given as to what size boat would be acceptable for cruising with an ultimate goal of a solo circumnavigation. I'm glad I found this forum and will appreciate any input given even if it is to poke fun at a silly old man.
MadMel907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 06:28   #2

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
Re: I Am An Old Newbie

Good for you ,welcome to CF. Most of us are over the hill,that is why we go slower and enjoy it more,i'm 73 myself. Tell us more about yourself, the most important you already know navigating and weather with that try crewing,and you will learn Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 06:46   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you're looking for schools it would help if you told us where you were. This is a world wide forum and it sure helps to add your location. Welcome to CF.
Old 17-09-2014, 07:31   #4

Sorry. I'm in Alaska and about as far from the coast as you can get. I live outside Eilson AFB at a place called Moose Creek. The closest Ocean is a day away. I was wondering about any school in the Lower 48 because I don't think that there are any up here. It costs about the same to fly to Florida as it does to Southern CA. So I guess you could say that I am looking for a school that I can attend and learn the most from. Does that make sense?
MadMel907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 12:19   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMel907 View Post
Sorry. I'm in Alaska and about as far from the coast as you can get. I live outside Eilson AFB at a place called Moose Creek. The closest Ocean is a day away. I was wondering about any school in the Lower 48 because I don't think that there are any up here. It costs about the same to fly to Florida as it does to Southern CA. So I guess you could say that I am looking for a school that I can attend and learn the most from. Does that make sense?
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Yes, it does make sense. Anywhere near Seattle is good too. If you are retiring military then MWR at many of the AF or Navy Bases usually have sailing lessons offered at a discounted price. Look for a school blessed by ASA or US Sailing. The curriculum is nearly the same.
Maybe someone here has a particular school in mind but the Seattle Sailing Club comes to mind.
It's good to have you here and I hope you find what you want.