Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2008, 15:01   #16

Boat: Alden 50 in Narragansett Bay, RI
Originally Posted by funsailthekeys View Post
I just got my boat out of the yard and the one next to me was one of those 54's. He was out because the keel was coming away from the hull at the aft edge. There was about a 1" gap at the rear and looked scary. The owner said they were going to remove the keel and rebuild the support system, something about aluminium stringers and plywood.
no. it was more likely that the gorilla glue and interior plywood failed.

what's aluminium?

S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 16:16   #17

Boat: J-36, Beneteau 50
Send a message via Yahoo to procrew4u
The Hunter Legend 35 of the late 80's used a stringer made of a pine 2x4 and then capped over with glass (not to be confused with "encapsulated") this is where the concussion post for the deck stepped mast was to take the vertical load, now mind you that raw wood and water don't mix, now let me tell you about the costly failure, the whole rig (which is deck stepped) jumped off the boat and went overboard, between replacing the rig,sails, electronics and repairs to the exterior there still was the interior to deal with. rebuilding a stringer, laminate by laminate and re-applying the interior sole cap was a tremendous amount of work. The benefit though was the stiffest Legend 35 you will ever see and it won many races when we were done. Now mind you that "Hunter Child" and "Thursday's Child" were two very modified concept boat's with unlimited financial resources, eventually this trickled down to "production boats" and then they were massed produced (enough said). In the mid to late 80's there was also a resin issue that even Benetau's succumbed too, that in itself is a totally different issue. If it was up to me I would tear the whole keel grid area out and build a aluminum keel grid and glass it in and then re-attach the keel, this would solve "keel failure" of otherwise a great boat.

procrew4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 17:10   #18

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
1812, coined by Sir Humphry Davy (1778-1829), from L. alumen "alum" (see alum). Davy originally called it alumium (1808), then amended this to aluminum, which remains the U.S. word, but British editors in 1812 further amended it to aluminium, the modern preferred British form, to better harmonize with other element names (sodium, potassium, etc.).

I knew this thread was going to be a barrel of laughs...
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 17:36   #19

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Thursday's Child Sails In, Sets Mark - New York Times
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 18:38   #20
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I think you guys have just scared away Markyboy…..bad..bad…bad!

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: