Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2013, 14:29   #1

Hull Material

Hello folks, just wondering what the going best hull material is. My limited experience is with river jetboats, I am now moving over to the world of sailing, so no more jumping gravel bars or climbing waterfalls so I don't think I need aluminum with steel reinforcement. Anyway I am wondering what is better wood? Fiberglass? Or a combination, I have seen some steel an aluminum ones but think too heavy. And what about this ferros cement is that actually like concrete? Anyway would appreciate any feedback because I know next to nothing. Cheers!
Wylieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 14:33   #2

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Hull Material

First, welcome to the forum!

There simply is no right answer to your question.

However, there are a LOT of fiberglass boats out there and as a general rule, they require less maintenance than other boats.

I have friends with Aluminum, steel and fibergalss, all seem satisfied with their choice. I do know the couple with the steel boat complains a bit in the winter.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 14:42   #3

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylieh View Post
My limited experience is with river jetboats, I am now moving over to the world of sailing, so no more jumping gravel bars or climbing waterfalls so I don't think I need aluminum with steel reinforcement.
If you are already skilled at working with aluminum and have the tools available for future repairs and modifications, then that material would be a good choice.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 14:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

With fiberglass there will be more choices to pick from.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 14:56   #5

That sounds like the right idea, but unfortunately all the ones I've beat up were unfixable, or would cost more to fix then new. Aluminum really deforms at 80 mph into a rock and tree stop. I guess really I'm wondering if wood with fiberglass over would be the best hall material, using the strength of the wood and waterproofing of the glass. Anyway I am trying to see if there is one known best, like say here in Alberta (Canada) the harbercraft jetboats are known to be almost indestructible, I've jumped mine over gravel loading ramps a 40mph with no damage just a little whiplash. So is there a make of sailboat that stand out above the rest for say open ocean sailing. I'm a kind-of a all out guy so I want to make sure I do a little homework before I buy my next boat.
Old 21-03-2013, 15:02   #6

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylieh View Post
That sounds like the right idea, but unfortunately all the ones I've beat up were unfixable, or would cost more to fix then new. Aluminum really deforms at 80 mph into a rock and tree stop. I guess really I'm wondering if wood with fiberglass over would be the best hall material, using the strength of the wood and waterproofing of the glass. Anyway I am trying to see if there is one known best, like say here in Alberta (Canada) the harbercraft jetboats are known to be almost indestructible, I've jumped mine over gravel loading ramps a 40mph with no damage just a little whiplash. So is there a make of sailboat that stand out above the rest for say open ocean sailing. I'm a kind-of a all out guy so I want to make sure I do a little homework before I buy my next boat.
Corbin 39. ocean boat and nearly indestructible. maybe the strongest FRP boat ever made. and fast
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 15:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Some Google searches will start getting you opinions on some of the more ocean worthy boats. You will start seeing some of the same names mentioned multiple times. Ocean worthy mostly has to do with who is operating the boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 15:17   #8

Thanks sailr69, that's a nice boat and exactly the length I was looking for, a little over what I was hoping to spend but a least I have a starting point. Cheers!
Old 21-03-2013, 15:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Some Google searches will start getting you opinions on some of the more ocean worthy boats. You will start seeing some of the same names mentioned multiple times. Ocean worthy mostly has to do with who is operating the boat.
Thanks, but I'm ok with dying because of my stupidity or bad decisions, however i will sure be choked if its because I bought a piece of junk.
Old 24-03-2013, 17:20   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Paper Mache`...definitely Paper Mache`. It's cheap, easy to work with and depending on the design, quite appealing to the eye. A green way to go.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 17:54   #11

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Paper Mache`...definitely Paper Mache`. It's cheap, easy to work with and depending on the design, quite appealing to the eye. A green way to go.
Uniflite used that I think... seriously.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 18:05   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I think hull material is really one of those hot topic items like anchors, guns and such. If you do a search here on the forum then you'll find all the reasons for and against each hull materil.

I've owned wood and fiberglass. Wood is wonderful if you are living aboard and there to maintain it constantly and don't move to the tropics. Fiberglass is great for ease of maintenance.

More importantly is learning how to sail so you don't jump over sandbars and hit tree stumps.

If you are an all out kind of guy then you'll probably want to race and most all of the racing class boats are made of fiberglass.

Hans Christian, Swan, H&R, Island Packet are just some more to look into.

kind regards,
Old 06-04-2013, 18:32   #13

Boat: PETERSON 44

Its all Junk. Meanwhile I am busy throwing away all the stuff I bought replacing it with other stuff. I bought other stuff because the stuff I had is old and now junk and needs new junk to replace the old junk.Now we have new stuff that is becoming old stuff and too soon will be junk What was I thinking when I bought this junk?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Hinckley is another brand of boat that is known for good quality. Of course, Sabray's Kelly Peterson isn't too bad either.
kind regards,

« Newbie | My intro »