Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2009, 19:46   #1

Howdy - from the Northeast

Hi everyone, I am a new member to this board but have been lurking for a LONG time... Im a member of sailnet and have referenced many things here as well as taken some good pointers and decided its time to get right in on the action.

A little about me: Mid twenties, from new england, work for myself on houses and boats (carpenter/ builder). Ive rebuilt numerous old boats, usually selling them for way less than the copious amounts of material and sweat equity invested and have learned the lessons all the hard way... Im an avid fiberglasser, mechanic and wood guy who wont give up the idea that the boating way is the only happy way despite its drag on my funds. Current boat is a 76 sabre 28 that i saved up to buy and have ripped and rebuilt almost the entire boat: bulkheads and stringers up. Glass grinding everywhere. All new hardware, windows, wiring, electronics paint all done between september and now. Smells like a new boat again!

Im looking to see what i can add as well as what I can take away from this wonderful resource. That, and I need to satiate this dream that I cant seem to shake of sailing out of this cold climate towards the bahamas for a year or two!

Permission to come aboard? Look forward to hearing from you all.
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 21:26   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy, bwalsh (must be from the western Northeast). Welcome to Cruisers Forum - glad you're here. Kick off your, er, cowboy boots, make yourself comfortable, look around and enjoy the Forum. Lots of knowledgeable people here willing to share their experiences, so don't hesitate to ask if there's something you'd like input on.

Again, welcome.

TaoJones
Old 13-05-2009, 22:43   #3

Boat: 1967 Angleman Sea Spirit
Welcome aboard shipmate, I spent 6 years in the Brunswick Me area and loved every day. I now own a 1967 Sea Spirit wooden Ketch and have rebuilt her as well. Get situated and send some pictures of your prjects. V/R Capt Bill
Old 14-05-2009, 21:16   #4

hi all
love the area, and your certainly welcome aboard, will be needing your advice from time lol, hope you dont mind dumb questions, i am full of them, and am sure you will enjoy it here, a really great bunch of people and i have gotten so much good advice and help since i started sailing last season

wade
blue noser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 08:56   #5

Thanks for the kind words...

I appreciate the welcomes, seems like this board is pretty welcoming and lacking most of the useless attacks and pretentiousness that some boards and members on other sites practice. I like that.

Tao, no cowboy boots... but ill kick off my work boots, thats as good as i got... thanks for the welcome.

wsv, Maine is a heck of a place, though im from a bit south... my grandfather was an avid sailor and ship's carpenter and has lots to say about the character and unyielding craftsmanship from Maine, I however only know what it looks like from the top of the ski slope... Ill get cruising up around there soon enough with the boat project nearing an end. Thumbs up on your boat rebuild, im starting to think that if you can swing it timewise its the only way to go boating. Im going to hunt around and see if i can find some pics of your ketch, im a big admirer of wood boats... one of these days Ill actually get around to building that wood lapstrake rowboat from those plans i have bouncing around here...

Blue, thanks for the welcome and to you: congratulations on recently becoming a sailor! I work in the construction trade and I see that alot of people resist the idea of sailing because of some macho thing they have going and instead fuel up their stink pots and go make wake. To me the most beautiful thing about sailing is the self sufficiency and the quiet. That you cant get on any powerboat. Good choice.

Looking forward to knowing you all.
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 15:51   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha BWalsh,
Welcome aboard! Your introduction indicates you have a lot of skills and you may be able to pass on some hints to those of us who need to get to work on their boats.
kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote