Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 15:59   #1

Boat: 1978 Yorktown 35
Howdy from So Cal

My Fiance and I just bought a 1978 Yorktown 35, in pretty decent condition for $8k. We are currently going thru the boat cleaning her up and finding out what needs to be done.

I have a few years of experience on a power boat and a short stint during high school on a west wight potter 15 that my friend and I owned. I also went thru a sailing training after I owned the west wight potter but I didn't really learn anything new, just had a blast.

My Fiance's only experience on a boat is very limited to short periods on a pontoon boat 10+ years ago.

We are planning on sailing quite a bit and living aboard next year once we get married. We dream of one day cruising to Hawaii, the Caribbean and to Europe but most likely not for years to come.
Old 19-11-2013, 16:02   #2

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Sounds like a great plan, welcome to the forums!
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 16:13   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Post some boat pics. Congratulations and welcome aboard.
Old 19-11-2013, 16:21   #4

Re: Howdy from So Cal

Here she is, currently named "Balik Bayan", we plan on changing her name to "Out In The Boonies" but there is more important stuff to take care of first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0174.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	70747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0173.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	70748  

Old 19-11-2013, 16:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Flyinace1.

Congratulations on your new boat!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 17:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Flyinace1.

Congratulations on your new boat!
Thanks. I hope to gain quite a bit of knowledge from this forum
Old 19-11-2013, 17:45   #7

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

welcome!

looks like a great deal on a well kept vessel!
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 18:32   #8

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

FYI, from the Sailboatdata.com website, the second gives some boat specs: Sailboats built by Henry R. McCune, Shipbuilders by year on Sailboatdata.com, and http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4620 .

"In the early 1960s, actor Henry 'Hank' McCune of television's The Hank McCune Show (the first show to ever use a laugh track) left show business and became one of the earliest builder of fiberglass boats in the US.
His yard was originally located in the Long Beach CA area. The best known models are VICTORY 21 and the ALL-AMERICAN 28 (designed by McCune). This latter boat, introduced in 1962, was an offshore racer that featured a fin keel and spade rudder.
In the 60's McCune started building a series of cruising sailboats to his own design known as Olympians, the largest of which was 35 feet. Few of these seem to be still around. From a later, revamped lineup came the Yorktowns, many of which are still sailing.
(Another boat called the TALISMAN may well have come from a Yorktown mold. Many of the Yorktowns were sold in varying states of construction to be completed by the customer.
There used to be a Yorktown website with quite a bit of historical information which, unfortunately, is now gone. "

Never heard of Hank McCune, but Lisa McCune of the Australian teevee series "Sea Patrol" is tres cute .

Nice looking boat, take care and enjoy it.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 19:56   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
Here she is, currently named "Balik Bayan", we plan on changing her name to "Out In The Boonies" but there is more important stuff to take care of first.
$8,000 ??? That's seems like a great deal. Looks in good shape from the limited view. Must be more to the story?
Old 19-11-2013, 20:11   #10

An exciting new change to your lives coming up! Boat looks good, good luck!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 20:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
$8,000 ??? That's seems like a great deal. Looks in good shape from the limited view. Must be more to the story?
A bad economy, a 70's boat and the end of boating season in California, plus a boat that has very little information online and few people have eard of led to that deal. Those reasons are actually why I was buying right now instead of next spring, it's a buyers market. I almost got a Cheoy Lee Luders 36 for 6,000 but that one would've been a project and had a lot of wood inside that needed work. Not something I or my fiance are interested in just yet, we are trying not to make the learning curve any steeper.
Old 19-11-2013, 20:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
Some of those specs are off to the best of my knowledge. LOA is 36' (I've been told but haven't measured yet), Beam is 11'2" (The surveyor did measure that), Draft I was told is 5'5".

There is a Yorktown 33 in the marina where my boat was and the owner told me the keel is a 3/4 keel not a fin. Apparently the 33 and 35 are pretty much the same hull design, and tough. The guy has sailed his 33 quite extensively along the coast and down into Mexico and been thru some storms on it.

Before I bought the boat, I managed to find the archived old yorktown website, but I don't seem to have bookmarked it. It helped shed some light on these boats.
Old 19-11-2013, 21:45   #13

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
Some of those specs are off to the best of my knowledge. LOA is 36' (I've been told but haven't measured yet), Beam is 11'2" (The surveyor did measure that), Draft I was told is 5'5".

There is a Yorktown 33 in the marina where my boat was and the owner told me the keel is a 3/4 keel not a fin. Apparently the 33 and 35 are pretty much the same hull design, and tough. The guy has sailed his 33 quite extensively along the coast and down into Mexico and been thru some storms on it.

Before I bought the boat, I managed to find the archived old yorktown website, but I don't seem to have bookmarked it. It helped shed some light on these boats.
That's why I quoted the Sailboatdata text, which doesn't really tell that much. It seems that some of them were finished out by other than the manufacturer, and I didn't know the extent of your own knowledge.
It seems that you did quite a bit of 'due diligence', and you surely got a good deal. I think that the hull was probably made very solidly back then, which is a very good thing. Mahalo.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 08:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post

That's why I quoted the Sailboatdata text, which doesn't really tell that much. It seems that some of them were finished out by other than the manufacturer, and I didn't know the extent of your own knowledge.
It seems that you did quite a bit of 'due diligence', and you surely got a good deal. I think that the hull was probably made very solidly back then, which is a very good thing. Mahalo.
Thank you

I was just including the information because I know there so little to be found, so I figured I would put some accurate info on the web
Old 03-12-2013, 13:32   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I've sailed on my friend's Yorktown a few times and it sails light airs well. Haven't been out in a blow with her.

Tags
cal