Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 08:19   #1

Hola! We Gotta Start Somewhere!

Hi all!

I'll apologize now for the length of the post....

The wife and I have been browsing around here a bit, and will stick around to see what we can take with us as we move forward. We've both always had a really active travel bug. This has taken us many places, but about a year ago we packed up house, literally, and then sold the house. We considered moving to Costa Rica, tried a long, live-like-you're-a-local trip and it didn't really fit us. While there, we figured if we could move to CR, we could move anywhere, so now living across the bay from Cadiz, Spain in Rota. This wasn't such a jump as I spent 20 years in the US Navy, doing 2 tours here in Rota, so knew the area/culture pretty well.

Long story short....TOO LATE....we're still stuck to a house. We walk the dogs down to the marina everyday and admire the boats sitting there. We've considered the idea of cruising the world on our own (that active little travel bug) in the past, but never pulled the trigger. Now, we're back at it again as we both love being near the ocean. Me, having spent many, very boring days at sea, know it's not day-in/out excitement, but also know that there's so much to see around the world that we'll never be able to make it to otherwise. So, why not!?

Although in the Navy for 20 years, my job had nothing to do with sailing knowledge, be it navigation, engine maintenance, or anything else....except for some firefighting and damage control practice during drills. I'll be good with comms and radar, since that's what I worked around for a good part of my career. Otherwise, we're both starting from scratch. We're signing up for a week of sailing classes locally, then considering some outings as crew to get a better feel, followed or incorporating some lenghtier and more intense RYA certification courses in the area or over in Gibraltar.

Who knows where we'll end up, but will be mostly lurking the forums here to see what I can skim from the surface. Our initial plans are to spend the next few years saving and learning, then somewhere along the way we hope to buy our own boat to move on to. Now, if we could figure out how to get a 1600cc motorcycle on/off a boat regularly while traveling....

Cheers to all, and apologies for the lengthy post.....

Michael
Unklebuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105
Re: Hola! We Gotta Start Somewhere!

Welcome to the forum. Although,I live in the Canary Islands, I usally sail in the Balearics. Maybe we can meet one day.If You have the opportunity to sail one day on the Balearics, You will enjoy. I have some pictures in my profile;You can enjoy them.
Regards, Agustin.
Navegante1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 13:01   #3

welcome!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 13:56   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. I enjoy having both house and a sailboat to escape on.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 14:11   #5

Thanks for the welcomes.
Old 11-08-2013, 14:35   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

Welcome to the forum..

I was/am in much the same boat at you with my six years in the Navy. It does help more than your would think.

As for the Motorbike, I went small with A 500cc Royal Enfield. A real poorly build pos but fun to ride and now, after 4 years or so, I know how to rebuild engines. A good thing. Looked into motorcycles and boats and basically it is a no-go unless you look into a 150cc rice bike have a catamaran. Better to just get a folding bike.
Old 11-08-2013, 14:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hola! We Gotta Start Somewhere!

Hola... Como estas...
If I could make a suggestion... after you've done your basic course's take a ride on that 1600cc bike of yours to Santander/Bilbao and take the ferry to the UK and do a live aboard RYA Coastal Skippers course... the Gib schools all very good but easy peasy...
The challenges you'll face in the English Channel with navigation in serious tides and variable weather will serve you well and set you up for most conditions around the world...
As for the bike on the boat... a friend of mine kept 2 Harleys on his 17metre Jongert... the transom (garage door) lowered hydraulically onto the pontoon and he'd ride them of... the stunned expressions on other cruisers faces always cracked me up...
Oh... Bien Vindo CF...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 15:08   #8

Boatman,

Thanks for the info on the RYA in England. The wife's from Liverpool, so she'd go for that. We've got a year or 2 to burn while getting our feet wet and learning what we can, slow and steady, so we'll definitely keep it on the back burner for later on. We're both more interested in useful than easy. As I can hop on a flight from the base here for as a retiree to head back stateside, we can consider ASA courses as well. I'll leave it at that since this specific forum is for meet/greet, but do appreciate any and all advice (or opinions, whichever comes about).

The transom sounds interesting, but the bike was a retirement gift to myself, so doubt I'd want to subject it to the sea. We may just store it while out, even if it's long term. I've taken excellent care of it, and want to keep it for many years to come without having to fight off corrosion the ocean would inflict.....to many days spent busting rust onboard ships, so know the toll it can take in a very short time.

@Garbone.....We rented a 125cc dirt bike for a month in Costa Rica as our only transportation while staying in Samara. It was fun, but only for the quick local trip. Even the 5k ride to the gas station was pushing the limits.....keeping in mind I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs. Though, I've seen entire families and their groceries on a single moped here around Rota.
Old 11-08-2013, 15:36   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklebuk View Post
(...) know that there's so much to see around the world that we'll never be able to make it to otherwise. (...)
I think, quite contrary: you can see more for less if you skip this boat ownership part.

From the boat, one mostly can see water, water and then more water. Basically, water there is very similar to water here. I think most people travel to see things on land and this is much better done by plane / ship / train and car.

Cadiz Bay is a great place to start sailing with good conditions throughout a large portion of the year and plenty of interesting places to go and visit between Faro and Gibraltar. It should not take more than a year before you can sail on your own provided you have the time to devote.

Welcome.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 16:11   #10

We've visited many places on the motorcycle, and I've been riding for 20+ years, but visiting these places wouldn't have been as enjoyable without the ride getting there! Looking forward to similar adventures sailing.

As for the bay here, always a good wind from one direction or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think, quite contrary: you can see more for less if you skip this boat ownership part.

From the boat, one mostly can see water, water and then more water. Basically, water there is very similar to water here. I think most people travel to see things on land and this is much better done by plane / ship / train and car.

b.
Old 25-09-2013, 11:35   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service. I've always found the journey just as interesting as the destination if not more so.