Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 17:32   #1

Location: The boat and I are presently in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles; I spend summers in MN.
Boat: Brewer 46 Pilot House Cutter, s/v Lady Diane
Send a message via Skype™ to Lady Diane
Hola de Venezuela

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have never taken part in one before. I was searching the net for info on an exhaust system problem I have on my boat and found it. Looks to be very helpful.

I have a 46' Brewer pilot house cutter and find myself in charge of all maintenance and repairs all of a sudden, so I am sure I will be coming into the forum often. The boat is in Puerto La Cruz, VE, which is a wonderful place with great weather and cruising destinations.
Lady Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 20:56   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
Welcome aboard! I hope you got your exhaust problem sorted out. I had one go bad on me and completely filled the interior with smoke before I shut the engine down.
Luckily nothing was permanently damaged.
I once visted Maracaibo on a Navy Cruiser. Very interesting place.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 23:27   #3

Location: The boat and I are presently in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles; I spend summers in MN.
Aloha to JohnL.... Thanks for the greeting.... and from my other fav place. I lived in HI in the 70's.... loved it. I was in Lahaina for 7 months, and Oahu for about 6 years. I am sure it has changed majorly now. Are you military now? Many good memories form Hawaii. First sailboat, etc. I adopted a daughter who is island mix...

My exhaust issues are due to a back flo problem from a faulty antisyphon.... and the forum has clarified the solution for me. Just have to figure out how to implement it.
Old 04-03-2008, 00:25   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Again,
I began my Navy career in the early 60s at Pearl on a Destroyer. Came back for a tour at Camp H. M. Smith from 81-84 and then Pearl Harbor 87-91. Retired to the Big Island. All the islands have become more crowded. Here on Hawaii the population has not grown quite so fast and because it is so much larger it may not become as crowded for a long time to come but it has grown too.
Anti siphon can be made from plumbing supplies if you can't find one at a marine hardware store. They don't really need to have a valve if you place them at the right height above the water line.
Hope you can get it cured easily.
Is your Brewer a steel boat from the Pacific Northwest?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:28   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Welcome.

Perhaps you ran into Dianne and Larry S/V Destiny. They left Puerto La Cruz last summer. We have lots of good engine folks here to make your engine mechanic duties efficient if not fulfilling.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:29   #6

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Hi Lady Diane, lot's of information here, I am sure someone could help with your exhaust problems. I also have a Brewer pilothouse, 88 40' Three Seas, is yours the Pan Oceanic?

John
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:59   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Hi Lady Dianne and welcome! My lady and I have purchased a beachfront property on Playa Zaragoza, Isla de Margarita and are in the process of building a small resort there. More to the point, we will be sailing our 40 foot cat down from Canada in May 2009. How long have you been in Puerto La Cruz (and how mcuh cruising have you done in Venezuela)? Would love to share some war stories (unfortunately, close to being a literal comment at the moment) if/when you are so inclined .

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 13:19   #8

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Welcome aboard from Caracas,

I hope you are enjoying P de C. the nearby islands and Mochima. I sail out of Caranero/higuerote so if I can be of any assistance email me

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 00:31   #9

Aloha, John..... nice to hear form you there on the Big Island. Regarding my boat, it is the same hull as the Pan Oceanic by Brewer, but this one was built in Taiwan and is called a Sun Sea....and is fiberglass. Due to the pilot house, it would do well in northern climes, but is great for tropics as well.

Good to hear there is still some open space in Hawaii. Would like to come back for a visit one day. The folks on the boat right next to me here in the marina have family from HI.... and talk of waiting for their name to come up for a slip in Ala Moana Harbor.... takes years?? I remember a Trans Pac race and all the parties from the 70's at the marinas. Ah, the good old days = but now is pretty darn good too!

What town/area are you living in? I have an old friend on the Big Island I would like to track down.

Tags
Venezuela