Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 09:49   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Hi we just sold the house

Just thought I'd say Hi since it just got REAL.

The wifey and I are checking out of the rat race. We're moving aboard in a few months right before I turn 40, and we're hoping to set sail with the HA HA either this year or next, but going to push for this year.

After all as Capt Ron said, If it's going to happen, it's going to happen out there!

So we'll be at Strictly Sail Oakland next month, to see if we can stretch our outfit budget a little farther with some good deals. The boat has come a long way in the short year we've owned her, but we still need a watermaker, hard top dodger, solar, and a bunch of little things.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:33   #2

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: Hi we just sold the house

Fantastic autumnbreeze27!

I'm not doing the HA HA, but I'm also working steadily on prepping my "new" boat and getting ready to cut the docklines.

I'm holding off on a watermaker 'til I hit Mexico because if I make it there, then I'll know for sure if I'm going farther - in which case I'll need it. We have enough fresh water tankage to go over a week without scrimping, so the watermaker is easy for us to put off.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:43   #3

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Just thought I'd say Hi since it just got REAL.

The wifey and I are checking out of the rat race. We're moving aboard in a few months right before I turn 40, and we're hoping to set sail with the HA HA either this year or next, but going to push for this year.

After all as Capt Ron said, If it's going to happen, it's going to happen out there!

So we'll be at Strictly Sail Oakland next month, to see if we can stretch our outfit budget a little farther with some good deals. The boat has come a long way in the short year we've owned her, but we still need a watermaker, hard top dodger, solar, and a bunch of little things.

How exciting. I plan on doing the same and its so nice to hear the enthusiasm and excitement in your text. A big congrats. I look forward to hearing all about your progress and adventures.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:59   #4

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I would strongly encourage anybody wanting to cruise to go learn to race. Find a local yacht club and even if they are sailing lasers get on and start racing.

We're trying to outfit as much as we can here as it seems stuff is more expensive and harder to source in the little latitudes.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:14   #5

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

If you're in Oakland already you might think about going on up to Oregon to purchase the big ticket items, NO SALES TAX !!!
mikeguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:21   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeguyver View Post
If you're in Oakland already you might think about going on up to Oregon to purchase the big ticket items, NO SALES TAX !!!
Shhhhh! Don't tell folks about that. You'll have people from all over the world looking for good boat part deals.

Watermakers are hard to find south of the border. San Diego would be your last bet for purchase. You could buy your gear in the US then take it to Baja Naval, do a haulout and get good installation prices there in Ensenada.
Old 10-03-2014, 14:20   #7

Boat: Catalina 310

Congrats! We are doing the same thing but on the east coast. We hope our house will be gone by the end of April.

Fair winds,

Jesse