Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 16:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Smile Hi there from San Diego!

Hi, I've posted on this forum a few times but for some reason felt reluctant to do the full "meet and greet" until we had a boat nestled in a marina under our own name. This finally happened this last week- and yesterday we finally had our chance to get on board and start learning about our future home.

Who are "we"? We are two 32 year olds building towards an adventure with our new partner in crime the "Blue Dolphin", a Downeast 38'. Janet and I, like so many, have plans on severing the shore ties, and are taking our baby steps towards that. While we're well travelled, neither of us has previous cruising experience. I've been sailing smaller boats most of my life, and Janet has been learning to sail larger boats with me the last couple of years and has been around boats most of her life.

The last few weeks/months have been an emotional roller-coaster! We finally found a boat that fits both our needs financially and conceptually, carried out a survey and sea trial, and closed on a deal. This is the first time either of us has purchased any type of property, so its all been unchartered water for both of us but I feel that we might have landed on our feet.

I can now honestly say that the saying "a boat owner's happiest moments are the day they buy the boat and day they sell it" is a pile of crap. Today we are happy and content knowing we have now taken a step in the *right* direction, that we can get our boat (a step up in size from those we have been renting the last couple of years!) out of the marina, sailing well and back home to bed all without anyone coming to any harm.

Thanks to those in Chula Vista marina who have met / helped us so far - if you read this you'll probably know who you are. Thanks too to those on this site who have either responded to my questions or provided prior knowledge that has helped us get this far! Please be patient because now the real questions are going to start arriving but hopefully we will learn useful things that allow us to contribute back.

Happy sailing!
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:32   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Tom,

"I can now honestly say that the saying "a boat owner's happiest moments are the day they buy the boat and day they sell it" is a pile of crap."

You might have misunderstood the saying. It should read, "a boatowner's happiest moments are the day they buy a boat (that they really are in love with) and the day they sell a boat (that they really need to trade up for a new one)."

Congratulations on youe new boat. I've always wondered how well the Downeasters were constructed. Is she in good shape.

Kind Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 18:30   #3

Hi JohnL,

Shes only the second downeaster I've sailed but both have been in pretty good shape, esp compared with many of the other cheaper cruisers we looked at before finder her. A significant amount of her is original bar the engine which is a complete replacement (the originals were salt water cooled and I believe most have corroded beyond repair). I'm sure we will get to find more issues over time but so far everything needed to get her cruising seems to be of the small project variety, biggest ticket item being to refinish the mast.

You're right though - I missed the part where the owner was trading up to a newer/larger/faster boat This is quite enough to keep our hands full for a few years so I'm not looking that far ahead!
Old 03-03-2008, 20:53   #4

Hi Again Tom,
I would never suggest you get anything larger. I think 38 is a couple feet too big but it sounds like you've found a good one. I understand they were built in CA?
I used to sail out of Fiddler's Cove South of Coronado. Great fun back in the 70s and the Navy had all kinds of boats to sail up to and including the Luders 44 Yawls.
Even then though there had to be someone dedicated to pumping the bilge with an old handpump. They were the old wood ones that the Naval Academy donated to sailing clubs.
later,
JohnL
Old 03-03-2008, 20:56   #5

Boat: Downeast 38 - Scappare
Good Luck!

Hey good luck - I bought a Downeaster 38 a couple weeks ago and I am starting to get things done, engine and a couple other repairs. Unfortunately I can only do it from a distance since she is moored in Singapore and i am based in HK...Hoping to have her ready to sail in June to take her out and about the indonesian islands and eventually over to Miri and Kota Kinabalu.
Very nice boat (though I have nothing to compare to...a fresh boat owner like you).
Where are you planning to go?
Here are a couple pics: Scappare - a photoset on Flickr
BEsts
Jo
JoSchmaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 15:54   #6

Jo - Indonesia would be a wonderful place to start sailing from. We're hoping to make it that way some day / year ourselves but for now will be exploring the west coast here in Southern California until finances allow further exploration. I'm jealous of your bimini - we need to get one before the summer sets in here! I'm curious to know if the squarish aft corners ever catch the mainsheet.

JohnL - We're sailing out of Chula Vista but have been sailing from Harbor Island the last couple of years. Always interesting in the harbor between the cruise ships coming in and out, the tall ships firing off cannons and the Americas cup boats shooting past with such streamlined ease.

Were you handpumping those bilges to stay afloat?
Old 04-03-2008, 17:17   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Hi, I've posted on this forum a few times but for some reason felt reluctant to do the full "meet and greet" until we had a boat nestled in a marina under our own name.
Clearly not a requirement here but of course congratualtions are in order!

Now that you went and did it I hope you'll find more ways to fix things you never knew were broken, spend more money that you planned on and have more fun than anyone else you ever knew. That's basically the game plan - if you do it right.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 21:00   #8

Aloha Tom,
Yes, they were old boats when we acquired them and if we decided to go out of San Diego Bay then they definitely would take on water. Keeping the bilge dry was a full time one person job while underway.
Had a house in Chula Vista until '85. Fun area.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 05-03-2008, 07:24   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Welcome,

One of the saddest days of my life was when I sold my beloved Frolic. I had already owned Imagine for 5 years, so there was a replacement. I am also fortunate I was over 3000 miles away in Florida when she was sold in the S.F. Bay Area. I can only imagine myself a blubbering heap watching another man's hand take her tiller.

I think it is wonderful that the kids are still young. If they are whining now, that will change when they are adults. Hopefully they will get right into it, and become explorers of our world......CONGRADULATIONS on a wonderful decision
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego