Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2010, 09:51   #1

Boat: Wharram Pahi 31
Hi, I'm New Here

Hello all!
As the title implies, I just joined the forum and only recently joined the "cruising lifestyle." My husband convinced my to drop everything in Colorado where we live and move on board our new Wharram catamaran so we could sail from the Georgian Bay to the Bahamas. Now we're almost through the state of New York, and my experience tells me that the best part about this sailing thing is definetely the other sailors. As you can tell, I'm still a bit skeptical, but I'm joining the forum to reach out to you other sailors to see if you can't help me stick with it. If I had my way I'd be tied to a rope and climbing up a rock face in some canyon in Colorado, and waxing my skis for some backcountry fun, but here I am facing my fear of unfrozen water and I'm all ears. Thanks!
magsonaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 09:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Hi Mags and welcome to the life on a sail boat.
I'll skip the rock faces and rope stuff, getting to the top of the mast is enough for me.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 10:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
For some of us going to sea is returning to a long ago home. Sailing is the respectful way to enjoy it, and there is a great sense of accomplishment in making miles without making fumes.

Fear of water is not to be dismissed; but there is a cure. A warm sea, a good mask and snorkle and something new to look at or explore has been known to chase the fear of the deep right out of you. If you can find a mentor who respects your fear, someone you feel safe with, go find it. Start on a calm beach in waist-deep water, and let yourself relax. Wear a little floatation if you are slender, and just float. Enjoy the gentle motion of little waves, relax, and wait for the show to begin beneath you! After a while you will start to feel yourself suspended above a wonderful new terrain, defying the laws of gravity with much less drama and exertion than mountain climbing. The peacefulness can become transcendental and healing. Lying on the boat later you can recapture that peace with a clear mind in the gentle rocking, and the sounds of the boat and water around you.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 10:16   #4

It's a lot more comfortable falling on the unfrozen stuff than the alternative...not to mention a rock!

Watch the weather, take your time and enjoy the new adventure. Welcome and have fun
jmo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 10:47   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum Mags...
Relax and enjoy...and yes, the people are the great.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 16:40   #6

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Sailing is too many things to express. But basically, you'll either have your 'moment' or not. I would go actively searching it in, as sandy says, warm waters with a mask, fins and snorkel.

The thing basically sells itself, at that point.
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:35   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Mags and welcome,
I wish you well on the new lifestyle and trust if you ever get stuck with any question you'll be able to call upon the good people on the forum for their opinions......
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 01-10-2010, 06:22   #8

Boat: Wharram Pahi 31
Wow thanks everyone! As usual with cruisers, I am amazed and grateful for your generosity (with words and encouragement). I have to say that listening to songs about sailing also helps. Stan Rogers is my goto.
PS how dangerous is it to sail on the Hudson River while everything around it is flooding?
magsonaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 21:10   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I'm glad you've found the good life. The biggest Wharram cat I've sailed is a 23. Your is quite a bit larger.
kind regards,