Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 22:22   #1

Hi! I'm a New Guy with a Plan to become a Cruiser.

Hi! I'm Chris from NC, currently deployed.

For the past 5-years my wife and I have been spending more and more time searching the web, looking at sailboat and reading everything/anything we can get out hands on about sailing and the cruising lifestyle. Just before I left the states, my wife gave me 'The Voyager's Handbook' to read. I can't get enough...

I have two more years until retirement.

Here is the plan; Spring of 15, I plan to take the ASA 103 course with my son in Charleston and within the next two years work through 104 - 107 myself (my son is working to become an instructor scuba diver with dreams of the Navy after this adventure with us). Somewhere during this time my wife also plan to take the basic course too. Then accomplish some bareboat chartering.

After retirement, sell everything, buy a boat and head to the Caribbean full speed ahead. Spend a few seasons there (during Hurricane season head up the coast to Maine/Canada) and then once we know what in the Hell we're doing, mastered some skills head to Bora Bora. Who knows where else...Palau?!

*One thing about this plan, it has focused both my wife and I in the same direction for our future.

So anyway, we want a used 47-60-foot sailboat (Me, wife and two sons who will then be 17 & 18). We've looked at a Macgregor 65, some 50' Morgan's, 50' Endeavor's, 54 Van de Stadt's.

I've save $150K to pay cash for a boat. Everything I like is right at 200K...here's the rub, my wife wants me to stay under 100K.
An I on target here? Will I be able to make this work with what I've saved?

Here's and example of what I'm interested in:

1987 Gulfstar CSY-50 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I know you've heard this before (another wannabe) but your thoughts and advice would be grateful!

Thanks,
Chris W.
Chrisfromnc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 04:40   #2

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Hi! I'm a New Guy with a Plan to become a Cruiser.

I'd follow your wife's advice for many reasons - one of which is that any boat needs work and a 50'+ boat can chew through $50k in no time.

Sent from my XT1060 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 07:26   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. I definitely would not cruise on a Macgregor 65. I think you may be looking at too large of a boat. For you and your family, 42 to 45 would be an easier vessel to handle. Cost wise, $100K-$130K. just hang around here and read some of the conversations of others about their cruisers.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 15:56   #4

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 17:40   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard!

Sounds like you have an exciting adventure planned for your family's future! Very cool!

Regarding boats, everyone has a different opinion on what is best, just like dog owners talking about the best breed of dogs.

That said, one of the boats you mentioned (Macgregor 65) is somewhat notorious and brings out a lot of criticism from experienced sailors, but it also has some good comments from others who have actually owned them. I suggest you use the search function here and look for "Macgregor 65" as there is at least one topic/trhead discussion here about that boat. In that discussion you will find a link to a much more informative and helpful discussion on another sailing forum. I highly recommend you read that other forum's discussion about that boat before you buy one.

Have fun sailing!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 22:30   #6

Hey!

Thanks for the replies. Ditto with the McGregor 65. Still looking.
Chrisfromnc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 22:53   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

You do not need a 65 foot boat for 4 people to live aboard. You can get a master (double) cabin and 2 smaller single cabins in a 42 foot boat. Think smaller, not bigger. I'd buy a good 40 footer before a mediocre 50 footer any day of the week. And at your budget that's what you'd be buying.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:43   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and telling us your plans. I was going to say the same things that Accomplice and Celestialsailor already said. How many people are you going to always have for crew? With two people living aboard 36 will do for four people up to 45 will do. Are you going to have three aboard? If so up to 42 will do.
Good luck in your search and remember that in two years most the electronics you pay extra big bucks for on a boat now are going to be outdated.

Tags
cruise, cruiser