Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 15:22   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004
Thumbs up Hi from Whangarei, NZ

Hi, my name is Kerry, my hometown is Whangarei, NZ. We, that is my wife Sheryl and I own a Bavaria 38, and we keep her in Opua, BOI. We have owned her since about 2009. Great to be part of such a valuable resource that Cruisers Forum is. Have been looking at forums for a while now but decided I needed to ask my own questions. Looking forward to hearing the wealth of knowledge of all things boating that I know is out there.
Regards,
Kerry

"To give truth to him that loves it not is to merely give more multiplied reasons for misinterpretation" William Blake
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 15:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Hi from Whangarei, NZ

Kerry, Welcome to the community. Questions are welcome,- keep us posted of your adventures!
Old 10-05-2015, 15:58   #3

Thanks for that, have been a passive observer for a while and it is just such a great forum for finding things out. Cheers.
Old 10-05-2015, 16:14   #4

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Welcome to the forum Kerry; it's generally safe in here, but like all forums, just be careful around the Ides of March.

Does Whangarei still have its clock museum? It must be nearly thirty years since we were there, but I still remember that - and I'm not generally a clock enthusiast/officianado.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 17:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Welcome to the forum Kerry; it's generally safe in here, but like all forums, just be careful around the Ides of March.

Does Whangarei still have its clock museum? It must be nearly thirty years since we were there, but I still remember that - and I'm not generally a clock enthusiast/officianado.
Thanks BobnLesley,

Yes we still have the clock museum. And still arguing vociferously if we should have the proposed Hundertwasser Museum as well just beside the Town Basin Bridge. I'm not so opposed to it so long as ratepayers don't foot the bill. If it does anything for Whangarei it will generally be the nearby businesses that will benefit, so am ok with it if it is privately funded.

If it's that long since being here you would notice some changes. We now have a fine marina with customs clearance at Marsden Cove Marina just inside the harbour mouth by the new logport. Sounds like haulout facilities coming in the following year as well. WE have a new bascule bridge downstream of the town basin which makes access to Onerahi easier. As the keelers generally need to come into the basin at high tide the system seems to be working well. Just vhf ahead or mobile phone and the bridge keeper opens up for the yachties. I think an automated system for opening bridge is in the pipeline. Whangarei seems to be moving ahead in terms of popularity for overseas boats as I turned up in early Dec to haul out and yard operator told me to go away and come back after new year as he was too full. I finally got back after Easter and still had to wait nearly a month to get hauled. In hindsight I should have booked way earlier.

Have added a video of Whangarei Harbour for folks interested. Wonderful shots from a drone, kudos to Mr Foote.
Attached Files
Old 11-05-2015, 09:22   #6

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Welcome to CF! We spent two wonderful cyclone seasons 2006-2008 in Whangarei at Riverside Drive Marina. Great town with great people. We bought a little junker car at a dealer there to get around NZed and love the country too.

We hope to get back on our new/old boat in the next few years.

BTW - we have lost touch with a dear friend who had a house overlooking McLeod Bay on the river - Ken (aka Billy) Billyard and his lovely wife Diane. I have tried all ways possible to reconnect with Ken but can't seem to. The old phone number doesn't work. He has kids and grandkids around and all are sailors. Warwick and Lucy (son-in-law and daughter) built a sailboat with him which they sold. Absolutely great guy who worked on boats around the harbors there and sailed back and forth to Fiji/Van etc. with no fear in his little sloop. If you had any info it would be appreciated.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 14:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Welcome to CF! We spent two wonderful cyclone seasons 2006-2008 in Whangarei at Riverside Drive Marina. Great town with great people. We bought a little junker car at a dealer there to get around NZed and love the country too.

We hope to get back on our new/old boat in the next few years.

BTW - we have lost touch with a dear friend who had a house overlooking McLeod Bay on the river - Ken (aka Billy) Billyard and his lovely wife Diane. I have tried all ways possible to reconnect with Ken but can't seem to. The old phone number doesn't work. He has kids and grandkids around and all are sailors. Warwick and Lucy (son-in-law and daughter) built a sailboat with him which they sold. Absolutely great guy who worked on boats around the harbors there and sailed back and forth to Fiji/Van etc. with no fear in his little sloop. If you had any info it would be appreciated.
Hi, I found a Bilyard K W & D J
38 Ritchie Rd Parua Bay Whangarei 0174 in the white pages sounds like might be the one. 64 9 4360754.

Petty W & Bilyard LA is another of that name nearby: 35 Muritai Rd Parua Bay Whangarei 0174,
Ph 64 9 436 5522

Good luck with that.

Ray Roberts passed on recently but as far as I know Carl is still there.
Cheers.
Old 11-05-2015, 18:09   #8

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Thanks for the info on the Billyards. I think the W Petty is most likely Warwick. I had the address for Ken but didn't try actually mailing a letter. Duh! The modern age.

We did know Ray had passed on and that Carl was now running the yard/marina there. We had emailed them but no response. I think they must get too many non-work related requests to help everyone out. It was always a busy place there.

And - the bridge is lovely. It was being discussed when we were there with some controversies but I can't remember what they were. I am sure it helps with the drive to Onerahi.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 23:54   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

Hi Kerry, welcome from another Kiwi.. Great vid you have posted there.

We stopped at Urquharts for the first time (by sea) on the way back from the Bay earlier this year, this after sailing straight past for the last 30 odd years We'll be back for sure!

Cheers
Lisa
Old 12-05-2015, 03:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
Hi Kerry, welcome from another Kiwi.. Great vid you have posted there.

We stopped at Urquharts for the first time (by sea) on the way back from the Bay earlier this year, this after sailing straight past for the last 30 odd years We'll be back for sure!

Cheers
Lisa
Hi, Thanks, I'd like to take credit for it but Daniel Foote deserves it all. It is a nice video eh! Urquart's is quite good for a launch pad to Gt Barrier Is as well if you're coming from the North.