Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2017, 01:36   #1

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER
Hi from Wellington, NZ.

Hi,been a member since 2010, but have not posted or introduced myself untill now.

My wife and I were both Motorcycle racers for many years-I managed 45 seasons non-stop, 1963 to 2008 inclusive. Started out riding the then current bikes, upgraded as time went by and more speed was required and ended years later up racing what we started with in the classic and old-timer classes!

Currently in Wellington, NZ where we keep a Hartley 30 in steel in Seaview Marina.

We live near Oxford in the UK where we keep an Island Packet SP Cruiser on the South Coast. We changed last year from another Island Packet, an aft cockpit 350.

We are due to return to the UK in early April. The priority will be to get the boat antifouled and prepped for two years away from our home port before setting off for the South West of Ireland via the Scillies. We will leave the boat in Ireland for the winter and return to Wellington where our eldest son, his partner and our two lovely grandchildren live, and continue cruising Ireland in 2018 when we return to the UK. We dont do North European winters anymore!

We took up sailing as a pastime/hobby/lifestyle after retiring from bike racing. It seemed clear that after an adrenaline sport a round of Golf, a game of bowls or budgie breeding were not going to fill the gap. Fortunatly, sailing does.

We tell others that we are travellers by water rather than purist sailors. We like a sea view every morning and cant wait to see what we will find at our next destination. Our advancing years helped us make the choice of the SP Cruiser-like many motorboats access is from the swim platform so no climbing up the freeboard now our mobility is becoming restricted. The Lewmar electric winch for sail control is OK by me too!

She is called " Jarrow Lily "-give us a wave if you see us.......................
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 02:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hi from Wellington, NZ.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rotrax.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 21:12   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Rotrax, and welcome to an active role in CF.

I wasn't in racing as long as you were, but did a decade and a half, ending up as a semi-pro drag racer. Life intervened with continuing that path (wife, kids, houses etc) and eventually some dude introduced me to sailing dinghies. I took to it and the next week bought one for myself. Asked if I was going to race it, I replied "how can you race something that will only go 5 knots?" Well, two weeks later I was in my first race, hardly knowing the sharp end from the blunt!

I learned that while the adrenaline peaks were far higher in dragsters, the area under the curve was greater when you were just a little terrified, but for hours on end rather than a couple of seconds!

Anyhow, it sounds like you have made a great transition and have discovered the joy of endless summers. Keep up the good work, mate, and let us know how you go.

Jim
Old 18-02-2017, 01:36   #4

Hi Jim, thanks for touching base.

I competed in most motorcycle disciplines over the years including a little drag racing and sprinting. I share something with the late Bert Monroe of Indian fame as I was privileged to be the handlebar attendant on the famous Dr Joe Bayley 1926 TT Douglas. I did 121 MPH at the end of a standing start half mile at the Brighton Speed Trials once. Not bad for a 1926 bike, even though it had a touch of the old goofy juice in the tank to boost the power.

Some of my races lasted over two hours-its a long lap around the Isle of Man TT course, and all my races were six lappers. Once or twice I discovered that adrenaline was brown!

One of the reasons sailing suits is the travel. When we were both racing we travelled most of Europe, a lot of it behind the then Iron Curtain.

The last big gig I had was a month in the USA in 2005 where I rode in a club speedway at Indianappolis-no, no, no,-not on the Brickyard-the AMA Speedway Grand Nationals at Springfield and finally I achieved a 40 year ambition and rode a good bike-a Knight Honda-on the mile dirt track, also at Springfield.

Never got as far as racing in Oz, but watched the WSB round at Phillip Island in 2014.

All the bikes have gone except a Triumph powered Husqvarna-known as "the Humph"-and a Kawasaki 550 street bike belonging to First Mate.

Sailing keeps us busy, and my little workshop at home means I can do most stuff myself, keeping cost under some sort of control.

Got a compession problem with the donk on our Kiwi boat-a Bukh DV20-and I expect to have to pull the pistons. I did the head and valves recently but it wont quite start. The engine is mounted high and the sump looks like it will come off OK.

Watch this space.................
Old 18-02-2017, 02:32   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hi again rotrax,

Well, that sounds like a longand very interesting career in motor bike racing. I never raced bikes, but did ride a 500 cc Norton and a 650 Triumph on the streets in Chicago when I was a kid. My older sister built pretty successful flat track dirt Harleys in the midwest... she was the first female to be granted a AMC mechanics card. Used to piss off the good ole boys when her bikes won!

But anyhow, I took to cruising pretty well, and have been out for thirty years now. No more desire for fast machinery, no reflexes to deal with it if I had the desire!

Oh... to keep the record straight, my racing was in the States, primarily i n California except when on tour, and was back in the mid 50s through late 60s... ancient history!

Hope you get the Bukkh sorted soon.

Jim
Old 18-02-2017, 22:16   #6

Jim-you suckered me in with that typical aussie greeting "G'day! "

your sister seems to have been quite a tuner. My wife can spanner well enough, in the past she has had to when I was out in another race and her bike required adjusting or fixing. Some guys were not too impressed on occaisions when she came in ahead of them on the track too.

A good bit of girl power between them.

My mile ambition was to race at the San Jose Mile. That was not possible but Springfield worked out to be a great day for me.

Like you, those days are gone. Cruising and keeping the boat going is enough.
Old 18-02-2017, 23:47   #7

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I would say Morena but I don't know what time it is over there. Raced for Suzuki, 750 GSXRs and unlimited Superbike for ten years. Was cleaning out my desk and found my old Daytona Passes. Also my signed death and dismemberment contract from Pocono. We used to race here on Long island at Bridgehampton, but the millionaire ******** built there mansions next to a race track and then complained about the noise. Andretti and Petty tried to get some boys together to try to save it, but gone. Paul Newman raced there too. Check it out on you tube. Bridgehampton race track NY. Anyway now I'm 49 and haven't been on a bike in about 15 years. I tell everyone, that going 100mph on the street is boring after going 175 bumping knees at Daytona. lol You may understand that, lol. So like you, I went for sailing for my new rush lol. I did have a good rush in the Atlantic a few times. One good thing came out of all the broken bones and screws, I'm now a human Barometer. lol. I can tell you the weather by the pain. Welcome and I hope to chat again. Your boy Hugh Anderson was ok huh? I'll send ya few pics another day.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 23:51   #8

Their mansions, lol I can spell. To many blows to the Shoei may of done some brain damage. That"s what my girlfriend says anyway.
Old 19-02-2017, 00:10   #9

Sorry, my bad. Your a Donington Park Brit. lol Just visiting NZ.
Old 19-02-2017, 01:34   #10

Hi Idylles 15.5, nice to hear from another ex racer.

Like you I can judge the weather by the pain-thats why we dont do winter any more.

I agree with Steve McQueen :- "Racing is life. Anything else is just waiting."

Hugh Anderson signed a copy of his autobiography for me at Pukakoe in 2015. He was racing-and winning-well into his seventies.

Another truism I like is from Mamoru Moriwaki. When asked why his sit up and beg Kawasaki Z1000 went so fast he used inscrutible oriental philosophy:-
"If you want fast Motorbike, the first thing to secure is fast rider!"

He secured Grahame Crosby, another Kiwi.

He did OK.................
Old 19-02-2017, 11:11   #11

They don't even race 750's anymore. The Daytona 200 is all 600s now. I remember hopping on another guys 600 and it was like getting on a minibike. My at the time first generation fuel injected GSXR750 I think 1996 scared the **** out of him when he wanted to try mine. I crushed everyone that year that still had old flat slides. Next season everyone had a new GSXR lol. I almost mad it to the TT. Mr Goodyear had that baby wrapped up for years. The locals have such an advantage with memorizing that track. When I was racing against Mat Mladin #1 plate for Suzuki, they wouldn't even let him ride TT for contract reasons. I'll shut up, this is a sailing forum after all. I'm getting all bugged up just talking about it. I was going to race in the over 40 class a few years ago. I told all the guys, hey listen, I'm not married and I don't have kids to live for, so when you see my front wheel, think about your kids, because I'm going to stick it in there. lol. Figured I could crush them all easily with that being said. Did side car once in Louden NH. Guys rider broke his leg, I said what te hell I'll hang over the side. That was a pisser. lol Maybe I'll see you out there one day.
Old 19-02-2017, 11:29   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hi from Wellington, NZ.

Hi Rotrax.. Welcome to CF.. and your an ex TT man.. Respect..
Another bike man here but never raced.. just the occasional w/end hack to a pub in the Cotswolds.. or near Brum with the mates.. last man gets the beer..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote