Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2007, 13:55   #1

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Hi from Venezuela

Each time I log on I am gently admonished, that I haven’t as yet introduced myself. I feel like a teenager at a party… rather than a mature Scotsman, fifty nine tomorrow… being shooed into his first party. My reason for joining was that although I have sailed off and on since a boy in Edinburgh and in many other spots around the world, where I worked I decided when an opportunity here in Venezuela (Where I am now located) to buy a rather beautiful 13 metre Van de Stadt steel “Ketch” yacht. I took it. The hull and fittings are in excellent condition, however I will have to do something about the internal layout, which is functional and basic and does not use the space well.

Therefore as I shall fit her out, initially over the coming months and then further once I have had a seasons on hand experience, I was aware that access to more experienced minds than mine would not only be a boon but probably a necessity. Subsequently I entered through the portals of dreams, reality and poetic philosophy it would seem, from the quotable quotes, with the knowledge that I shall leave much the wiser.

A final point for those contemplating a Venezuelan odyssey… The weather and people are considered to be its best features, however I would also state that the sailing area Venezuelan Island as well as the nearby Dutch Islands offers beautiful, relatively quiet, and interesting cruising opportunities.
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 15:09   #2

welcome aboard

Hi, and welcome aboard i'm sure you will find loads of usefull information and ideas.
lovinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 17:28   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome aboard. You need not be admonished for posting without the non-obligatory Haallloooo. I never did and have been accepted non the less.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 18:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Greetings from Singapore! And happy birthday! Glad you are enjoying Venezuela.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 21:54   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Anglooff,
Welcome aboard!! I visited Maracaibo onboard a Navy ship many years ago. What I remember most was the inexpensive fuel, steaks and the wonderful open air markets. All the rest is a blur.
How is the political situation now?
You've got a great boat there. Let us know what you are thinking of for interior changes.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 08:14   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Angloof,
Even a Glaswegian raised in England and lived most of his life in Oz welcomes you. Just shows how friendly this site is:-)
Cheers
JOHN
Old 26-05-2007, 13:12   #7

hi anglooff! i'm a believer in anonymity too, so don't worry about the introduction stuff. i certainly don't mean to 'out' you, (and its probaby just coincedance), but i find your post very intriguing because some dear friends of mine owned a vds in the caribbean and the name of the boat was 'boon', a word i notice you used in your post. 'boon' was a very simple boat, as were its previous owners; partially because they were strapped for dough when their first boat sunk in st martin during a hurricane that decimated decades of belief of a safe hurricane hole and secondly because they were very salty dogs who believed in keeping things simple. you don't have to tell if you don't want to, but i do have some very fond memories of that boat (if its yours) that i'd be happy to share with you.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 12:07   #8

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Thanks for your welcome from Venezuela

Thank you all for your kind welcomes and a belated ‘Hullo or Hulllooo” … My apologies for the original omission. My mother always taught “ I should be a gentleman too” She would turn in her grave if she knew. One of the nice things about sailing I always found and indeed similarly with “golf” was the common denominator of shared experiences, traditions, disciplines, triumphs and disasters which no matter the individual’s depth of experience, was instantly understood by all in their greater communities and on the whole, an open welcome, great kindness and hospitality was normally always experienced. I am sure my experience in this ‘Forum” will be equally so.

So let me address some points raised in your welcoming emails…To the Swagman. Some Glaswegian friends of my ‘salad days, when I was a green lad” thought that Edinburgh would be the greatest city in the world…if only it was inhabited by Glaswegians… some truth in that too, although not completely correct. I have fond memories of Glasgow… it used to have the best Indian food in Britain and indeed some stunning girls…I couldn’t always understand what they were saying… But their eyes and their mouths!!! As you emigrated to OZ via England, probably you were too young to experience or be interested in either…As both would be been too hot for your tender years. Notwithstanding that I stretch a hand of friendship not over only forty miles but the many thousands of miles (I don’t know your actual location in the Med otherwise I would have been more precise) between Caracas and where you are. I do not believe the administrators would allow my Glaswegian stories to be posted, however I have some excellent recipes for “Curries”.
Finally I lived in may parts of Europe from Portugal, Spain( including the Balearics) I also sailed a little around Croatia ( some of the best sailing in the Med) some maybe you are somewhere I have been. I shall drink a glass of “Glenmorangie” to your health and good sailing… if two guys from Edinburgh and Glasgow can be this civil, you would think that it should therefore be easy to solve the difficulties of the Middle East, Darfur, North Korea etc., wouldn't you.

To “lovinlife” Thank you! I am sure I shall too. To George thank you; Your Bob Seger postscript, would indicate at least a two bottle of whisky night to hear the story. Glad to see you have survived. To Dan I used to have an office in Macao and once knew Singapore and Malaysia quite well. Great sailing area. Next time you are in “Raffles” have one for me.

To JohnL Thanks! Venezuela still has cheap petrol and oil. My impala’s tank is filled for much less than it cost for one gallon in the US around $2,50USD. My friends Bertram 37 is filled for about $20USD. Politically is a very hard question to address. Suffice it to say that both polarised extremes, internally and externally are as always… polarised. However, the people, as in every other country I have visited, most Venezuelans are extremely nice and helpful and the majority feel empowered, which as we all know, is really the best description of a democracy we have! Other aspects of the current political situation has it base over forty years ago and too complicated for this missive. Certainly its an excellent sailing opportunity.

To “littleboat” You intrigue me… Its not “Boon” but part of the name rhymes with it. Whether it is the same or not…I would love to hear the stories.

Finally, it has a centre cockpit and its large aft cabin was laid out as the social/dining area its berths 7 really are for a family and have little or no privacy and only one head. However I agree that simplicity works, but I hope to use the space more effectively.
So I shall be posting questions to the forum in the coming months and be looking at some of the great pictorial examples to steal some ideas…I already have

Thanks again

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 13:19   #9

Welcome Aboard

Welcome aboard cruiersforum, anglooff.

Happy birthday.

I hope to one day visit Maracaibo. I have heard a lot of wonderful stories about that area. And look forward in hearing some of your stories about that place.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:46   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 41
Send a message via Skype™ to johnhoedemakers
Hi, Getting to Bahamas myself, CU later in time.
johnhoedemakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 14:06   #11

greeting from FLORIDA
live2love1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Venezuela