Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 12:18   #1

Hi from Uk

Hi everyone. New to forum. Been boating 3 years now. Liveaboard 1 and a 1/2. My crew onboard are of the feline variety, Elijah and Athina! Enjoying the neverending adventure [emoji2]
1Moonriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31
Re: Hi from Uk

Welcome aboard, I too live on my boat, in Scotland, well, its out of the water just now, had been for a few years, or since I brought it here from North Carolina, will get it back in the water next spring, most of the hard and expensive work is done. So another very cold winter on my boat. As you are in the UK, I am sure you will know about that. Where are you, and what are marina prices like there.

These forums are great for info, but you get way too much information when you ask a simple question.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 14:48   #3

Hi Atlantical, I totally get the cold winter on the boat. I'm blessed with a few sources of heating. I've been in down to -12 C on the boat. Last year I felt it more than the previous ones due to the permanent vents i had to put in to comply with the bsc. It's all still fun though. We had a couple of guys on our pontoon last year who gritted the walkway on particularly icy nights and shovelled on the morning when the snow was thick. I'm no longer in that marina though. I'm in the Midlands on the Soar. Mooring is based on boat length and size. I'm 220 a month here, but was 370 where i was before. Very variable. If you're continuously cruising though you just pay the canal and river licence.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Moonriver.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

Hi about 350 for my ten meters in Largs, but out the water at Fairlie just now, its 140 which is not bad considering I am using it as my home. Last winter was awful, used my log burner, but wont be using it this year, upper baffle is broken, and it puts too much heat up the flue, then the coach roof gets really hot, will just have to run up a huge electric bill for heat.

Was looking for a cheaper marina than Largs, but the places that are cheap in the UK are either places you don't want to go such as Shetland, or places you cant get in such as Bristol Harbour, which is not even taking people on there waiting list. South coast is fairly expensive, and of course, the Thames is just like London house prices. Probably just go cruising when I get the boat back in the water in spring.

Only canal I was ever on was the Caladonian, worked on a small cruise ship that took passengers the length of the canal over a few days, its was called Lord of the Glens, it dosent run anymore.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 04:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Moonriver.
Thanks GordMay[emoji4]
Old 20-10-2018, 04:42   #7

The canals are quite good for cruising dependent on your draft. I'm sure you'll have no problems continuously cruising until you find somewhere you can call home [emoji847] PS. I know what you mean about Bristol. I checked them out when I was looking for a Marina. That was a year and a half ago. Must be crammed if they've closed the waiting list. But also it must be an amazing place to moor for that situation to arise.

« TEST | Free-boat »