Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 04:05   #1

Hi from the Virgin Islands

Hi,
We just arrived in the American Virgin Islands a few days ago. Our starting point was Oriental, NC. Legacy is a 40ft Long Range Cruising Sail boat.
We went thru the bahamas, making hops from island to island,stopping in Long Island for a rest and restock( good grocery stores) then down to mayaguana (for much needed rest) then to the caicos (spending a few days at south side marina) then thru the Mona Passage to Mayaguez to check in.
we made our way down to Boquaron, then Ponce (again to add provisions) Ponce is a great place to get what you need. Then we headed to Salinas (just an short night sail to rest, then to La Viques again just to rest.
we made our way from there to Charlotte Amelia and found a nice bay near the airport and spent 3days there, then we moved to St Johns and took a mooring ball.
This year we skipped the Dominican Republic. We went last yr and were quite disappointed.
Our trip has been great, the weather has been good the whole way down, we only had problems with the trades on the passage thru the mona, but that is aways awful the way down.
We have been cruising 4years now, and sailing 12 yrs prior to our trip in the great lakes. Orginally were from the Detroit area.
OUr blog site to see where weve been is The Wanderings of Legacy
Our crew is me, my husband Aubrey, henry the cat, and Uraine our cavalier king charles spanial.
the AVIs are our final destination this year, next yr well go furthur down, but the dog needs more supportive doccumentation to do some of those grenedine islands.

Kathleen
s/v Legacy
Caneel Bay, St Johns, VI
paradisenow1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 06:32   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Hi From the Virgin Islands

Not really on the dogs thing. Some islands simply do not allow them like Bequia, St Lucia and a few others. So you don't take the dogs ashore there or skip those islands. The other islands could care less and don't even have a place on the entry forms for animals.
- - But for the animals' sake be sure to have their shots, etc., up to date and keep all the records of their medical history with your boat papers.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 06:41   #3

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Welcome aboard...
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 06:42   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

WELCOME
We are putting together another cruise and plan on leaving the FL Keys and make the jump past the Bahama's this time and start at DR or PR this time.
Enjoy your cruise
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 13:06   #5

Our dog and cat have all their shots, both had bahama entry permits. The islands that have policys where you need more doccumentation are some of the ones mentioned. Esp british protectorates. THey do require you to have a blood titer for each animal and supportive shot doccumentaion, WHile you dont think they check as you dont see it on the forms you fill out, they do ask you to do the work fill out the form and fax it for a permit, whether it goes ashore or not, its their policys.
Again well skip going down further and next year since our dog needs updates on her shots i will get the titer done and do the forms to send each place and get their permits. if your caught with dogs or cats aboard without permits in any british island protectorate its 6month quarentine, that is charged by the day and since most dont have it they either send them home to USA or to the nearest quaretine facility.
I do know i showed dogs 35yrs and traveled the world with them, i also have shipped dog to 27 countrys, you have no idea of the paperwork dogs require in many countrys just to visit.
again thanks for your post
kathleen
s/v legacy
st johns, vi
Old 24-02-2011, 13:07   #6

thanks
Old 25-02-2011, 12:47   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 28-02-2011, 09:56   #8

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Welcome! I am sooooooooooo jealous of all you sailors in warmer climes:-) Mush!
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:12   #9

Boat: FP Athena 38
Re: Hi from the Virgin Islands

Welcome to the Virgins Islands! I have lived aboard here since 2003. I have 3 dogs on board.
We are currently in St.Croix. We left St.Thomas Feb 26th. We are getting ready to sail up to Florida - We are going to go PR - DR -T&C - Bahamas.
The Virgins have been nice to sail but it time we moved on!
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 13:39   #10

Boat: Allied Seawind 30'
Re: Hi from the Virgin Islands

Hi! Welcome to the VI, this time of year I call St Thomas my home. We also have a dog on board and paperwork and clearing him in is always a major factor in our destinations. Just curious, why were you dissappointed in the DR? We are thinking of heading there soon so any info would be appreciated! Thanks!
SeawindGirl is offline   Reply With Quote