Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 22:48   #1

Boat: Invader 22 - Lorien
Hi from Essex UK

Hi All,

Lurked here for a while ( excellent source of info ) but finally got round to signing up!

Sailing was one of those things I always planned to do 'when I had the time' and 'A bit later on', suddenly woke up one morning and found some b*****d had torn off rather a lot of days from the calendar and my hair was greying etc! So that very day I made a decision, went out and bought a 22 foot 'yachtette' then came the tricky bit, Hello dear, guess what?

Am now fettling said yacht and cruising the east coast of UK, plans are to go further afield soon tho, the horizon beckons, wonder just how far I can get?

cheers for now
Waggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 23:39   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Hello Waggles, I'm just opposite you in Belgium. Used to live near Halstead btw Refit permitting, I am planning a visit to Sealand, Ipswich and/or London this season.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:09   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
If you get down towards Southampton give me a call. Great sailing in busy waters and so many places to enjoy with smaller boats.
Everywhere you go you'll find boat yards that do long term moorings, it's just picking ones that are near the coach stations so you can get home cheaply.
And accepting that sailing doesn't do schedules. But once your happy with your day sail abilities you'll want to go further, and sail longer. [With the sweet understanding one that rules your life?]. The good summer days will be idyllic, other days won't be. A good skipper knows when to find a good pub, even a B&B!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:17   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Welcome to the forum, Waggles, and congrats on taking the plunge. If you are like most of us, you have caught the bug and will soon be not only dreaming of, but planning for distant horizons.

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:17   #5

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Dear Waggles,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new boat. You have a myriad of interesting nearby sailing destinations on your doorstep and a tricky enough weather, tide and wind cycles to ensure that, when you finish your refitting and gained local sailing experience, you will have amassed a level of practical knowledge to enable you to travel wherever you want.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings Waggles... what did you get.... Yachtette wise I mean...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:53   #7

Boat: Mac 26x
Hi Waggles

Im just up the coast a bit from you,now i would suggest that you go on to

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and type in "Keep turning left" its a video diary by a guy called Dylan Winter,he is popping into every nook and cranny on the east coast.

ill send you a PM about an east coast web site
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:12   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Waggles,

Feel pleased to add my congrats on the boat. 22 foot? You could sail the world. We had pals who took a 24 footer from Australia and spent 2 years away around Indian and then Pacific - and in 2007 we helped welcome a couple of young lads who crossed from Canaries to Caribbean on a Folkboat.

Anyway - ideal of East coast pottering and if you do convert SHMBO - I'm sure you can trade up.

Well done. Enjoy

JOHN
Old 18-03-2010, 14:34   #9

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
welcome Waggles we live aboard in Morlaix France and spend alot of time in the Channel Islands so lets hope we see you one day
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:54   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
My first boat was a fin keel Catalina 22 and I never regret having owned it. It was a good teacher and a boat that was so easy to get underway that I found every excuse to pop aboard and untie the docklines to get underway.
regards,