Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2007, 16:21   #1

Boat: Bayfield 40' Silent Running
Thumbs up Hi from Dominican Republic

Hi my name is Doug. I sailed out of Canada 12 years ago to sail the Caribbean. I visited the US east coast, Bahamas, Turks and Cacaos, Cuba, Jamaica, and settled down in Dominican Republic where I live now.
d0ug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 19:28   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Doug,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. Tell us about the Dominican Republic's marinas and sailing life.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 21:42   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
dOug, Welcome aboard

I've always wanted to visit DR but it's on the other coast, a long way to trave for a visit. Maybe some day still.

Yeah! Tell us a little bit about DR!....................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 01:04   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome aboard. If we ever stop turning around every summer, and start leaving the boat further south each year, we will stop by your way and maybe share a cold one.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 01:19   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Yo - welcome Doug.

We too are considering stopping by in the DR sometime 2008 - tell us more about where to go.

JOHN
Old 19-02-2007, 04:13   #6

Thumbs up The Dominican Republic

The DR has one of the best hurricane holes in the Caribbean. Luperon has lots of mangroves and high hills on all sides. The harbor has a mud bottom and with a large anchor your there to stay. The country has the largest mountain in the Caribbean and lush green countryside. People are Spanish speaking and are very friendly. Everything you need is here but hard to find as far as parts.
Traveling in land in Luperon you would grab a motoconcho [a motorcycle driver] that will take you any aware you want to go. If you need to go to the city there is taxis and buses and if you go the same way as Dominicans it is very reasonable.
I sailed for 7 years and enjoyed it very much but living on a pension it was starting to get expensive. All the entry fees are going up rapidly hard to find free anchorage and the fear of costly breakdowns. Like one person said [sailing is hours and hours of bliss interrupted by moments of sheer terror]
When I reach the Dominican Republic I though I had found paradise. I found that not only could I live on my small pension but build a house and live very comfortably. I have more now than I had in Canada and putting money in the bank.
Anyone heading this way give me a PM and come visit the door is always open to the sailing community. I found the people I sailed with some of the best people I have ever met.
Old 19-02-2007, 04:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
doUg:
Welcome aboard.
Where, in the D.R., are you now located?
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 05:44   #8

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Welcome Aboard Doug

I'm a newbie to the site as well but it's the best I found to exchange stories and info on anything boating - there are alot of very experienced sailors here.

I have a good friend that you may have met down there as he spent most of the last 5 winters in Luperon - his name is Ted Cartledge and he has an old Canadian Coast Guard bouy tender - the MV Parry Sound moored in Penetang On. He has been restoring and improving and living on it in the summer. He looks like a heavy built Willie Nelson. Have you met him down there?

Glad to hear you lived the dream and finally settled in your paradise.
Old 19-02-2007, 07:13   #9

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Welcome d0ug,

My wife and I are planning on leaving on our extended cruise in 08. We will be leaving from CT and heading down the ICW then taking a left at FL and from there who knows? Would love to hear more about the DR.

Again welcome..
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 07:28   #10

Send a message via AIM to Cool Change
Hi DOug,

Welcome aboard, I would also like to hear more about the DR.

Cool Change.

The gods does not subtract fro mans alloted time the hours spent while sailing.
Cool Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 07:34   #11

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Doug,

The timing of your post could not have been better. We are sitting in Provo waiting for a weather window to Luperon, probably by the end of the week. I'll send you a PM when we have more definite plans. Would love to meet you and learn more about the DR.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 07:39   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Doug,

Given the interest in the DR, you may have a parade of sailors dropping by. I, too, will possibly be headed your way soon. My sons are participating in a baseball exchange program with a trip to the DR this coming April. If I end up going along as a chaperone I'll have an eye to the sea as well as the baseball diamond.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 09:37   #13

I will volunteer a different point of view about Luperon which is the port most people enter as they go down the thorny path to the caribe. It is a poverty stricken, grossly polluted and unsanitary sinkhole with corrupt officials. The people are reasonably friendly and the harbor is sheltered. Some of the residents at anchor have been known to sell used electonics and boat bits "left behind" by boats as they passed through.
I know I will never return as the month I spent there waiting for weather was like a year!
I know others love the place but many friends of ours feel the same. Fortunately there is a new and safer marina now in Puerto Plata which gives the southbound cruiser some options.
This is NOT meant to be a general condemnation of the DR or the people but Luperon and Samana are two places I would avoid.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 11:55   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Evidently, Ocean World Marina officially opened on December 16, 2006.
Located on the north shore of the Dominican Republic, in Cofresi, 3 miles west of Puerto Plata (N 19º50.095’ x W 070º43.535’).

Contact Ocean World Marina:
Tel: 809-970-3373, -or- 809- 970-3374, -or- 809-970-7987
Fax: 809-970-3624
or Goto: Ocean World Marina - Under Construction

See also:

Noonsite:
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Do...ic/PuertoPlata

Dominican Republic Marinas:
Marinas - Dominican Republic - Official Site - Yachting

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 10:52   #15

You like it, or you don't

As a live aboard and on a pension I did not have the luxury of staying in marines. I also found that anchoring in small out of the way places you get to meet the real people. I except that we all have our opinions of places we have been. Corrupt officials I would not pay them and when they knew that we had no problems. Most government officials here get a very small salary and what ever bribes the get. If you want them to look the other way you need to pay. If you like living in a marina in a city it’s probably easer to fly in.

Tags
Dominican Republic