Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 09:48   #1

Boat: Started searching recently and I'm inclined towards the Westsail 32 type of boat.
Hi from Cork , Ireland

My name is John and I'm new to this site. I've always been interested in sailing but have very little experience on yachts. I've spent 35 years at sea on commercial ships , and now that I'm retired I'd like to do some sailing.

I would hope to find my perfect yacht in the not - too - distant future , and then start living the life I've always dreamt of.
Highlander7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Hi from Cork , Ireland

Howdy John, and Welcome Aboard CF!

Just so you know, there are several former, retired, or active commercial skippers and seamen here on the forum. In other words, you won't be the only old salt.

There is a wealth of information on this forum, and I continue to discover more things that I find helpful.

I will post a few tips I like to share with newcomers below:

There is a free Cruiser's Wiki associated with this forum.
There is a LOT of free content in that wiki. Including "cruising guides."

As a newbie to sailing on yachts, there is a LOT of additional information there too. I suggest looking at the contents to see. http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/

There are also some "social groups" that are more focused on special interests, and as I saw, they can be fun for their members. I am not a member of those groups, but you should be able to find them if you do some exploring of the forum website, look for "groups."

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - All Groups

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ireland