Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2012, 11:57   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 30'
Hi from Cape Breton Island

Hi Cruisers,

I'm an ex-pat Cornishman (quit the UK for greener pastures in 1967), now resident in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. We've done a fair bit of cruising in our home-built Roberts 30', which now has 20,000+ miles under her keel. Spent five winters in the Bahamas and cruised as far south as Grenada, before health caught up with age. Now we mainly cruise the area around Cape Breton and the Bras d'Or Lakes.

My main project of late has been the creation of an on-line cruising guide of Cape Breton Island and the Bras d'Or Lakes. Books soon become out-of-date, and the intention is to provide as much up-to-date information of benefit to cruisers as possible. This is strictly a non-commercial venture, dedicated to serving cruisers. I'm hoping that many of those on this forum will be able to assist in this project by providing information to to expand and keep it current.

Thanks

Marner

Old 06-02-2012, 14:40   #2

Boat: Nicholson 39' ketch
Re: Hi from Cape Breton Island

Marner, Welcome aboard.

Your idea of a web based cruising guide is great. You may be able to save yourself a bit of time by checking the ActiveCaptain

This site lets all of us add info to a wiki type cruising guide.

Cheers

Old 06-02-2012, 15:16   #3

Thanks.

I am aware of the activecaptain website.

What I've prepared is quite a different fish. It is intended to be a replacement for the out-of-print "Cruise Cape Breton" book, but in a website format. It offers all the detailed anchorage charts, and a host of information not found on ActiveCaptain, and allows the whole website to be downloaded to a laptop or tablet device for use aboard ones vessel without any need for internet access. What has been completed so far can be seen at

Cruise Cape Breton | Introduction

Marner
Old 06-02-2012, 16:28   #4

Have you been in touch with Dr. Peter Loveridge, the author of the Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia? Here's his blog: Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia
Old 06-02-2012, 17:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Marner.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:15   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Marner, Great site ! we really enjoyed looking at what you have done!! Never sailed the area but it looks like a great sailing area for summer time !! hope to get to see it someday!! Thanks for all your fine work !! Bob and Connie
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27   #7

Yes, the Cruise Cape Breton guide is out-of-print but recently a new 256-page guide book "Cruising Guide to the Canadian Maritimes" by Yachtpilot Publishing was released. The guide covers the entire Bras d'or Lake (completely updated) as well as all the coastal ports around Cape Breton Island.
The guide also features southern Newfoundland. The two regions together make for a wonder summer cruising destination.
Other detailed areas include eastern PEI, the Magdalen's and St. Pierre/Miquelon and most importantly, routing and passagemaking to get you into the region.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09   #8

I was not aware of Dr Loveridge's guide, but as I understand it is a BOOK on a CD, and I was recently loaned "Cruising Guide to the Canadian Maritimes"; another BOOK. Books soon become out of date.

What I have done here is consolidate on a new website information that I have been sharing with members of the Dobson Yacht Club and anyone who chose to access it on the Dobson Yacht Club website for the last several years. This transition was done to make it more accessible to the cruising fraternity at large, without having to track it down on th DYC website. But it is not a book, in that there is no narrative to bind it together; simply information of use to the cruiser, constantly updated to keep it current.

It all started by accident, really. Some of my marked up charts got soaked with water and the ink ran. So I set about re-creating them in colour with the updated information. Some other members of our club saw them and wanted copies, so they went up on the clubs website, and there was no turning back. I have the full cooperation (and encouragement) of Roy Mac Keen, the original author of "Cruise Cape Breton", and a founding member of the Dobson Yacht Club.

As I've said, the whole website is downloadable (for FREE) for use on your own laptop or tablet computer, so that you don't need an Internet connection to access charts, weather information, and tide tables. I make not a penny from this, and have no intention of doing so - no deadlines to meet, no publisher to hassle me...

This is an on-going project. You are all invited to submit information, corrections and suggestions for improvement. However, this is strictly a Cape Breton Island project.

Marner
Old 26-02-2012, 13:18   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 26-02-2012, 14:04   #10

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Welcome aboard....
Old 26-02-2012, 14:13   #11

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Hi and welcome.

Ive been to Sydney, I called in to a garage there and got myself a souvineer licence plate during my round Nova Scotia road trip 11 years ago.

I guess youve been to both Truros too?
Old 26-02-2012, 14:31   #12

Thanks for the welcome messages, folks.

And yes, Anjou, I've been to both Truros, though still more familiar with the one on the Fal. Back in my youth I was crew on a trip boat from Falmouth to Truro, or Falmouth to Coverack depending on the tide...

Marner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: