Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 17:34   #1

hi from cajun country

hi from cajun country crowley la
bcashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 18:02   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
bcashi,
Hi! Welcome to the forum. Please qive us a little additonal information. Cajun country--Do you sail or power? Where have you been? Some members do not have a boat but desire to cruise. Welcome, I am glad you are present.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 18:15   #3

I have a shrimp boat. I shrimp in South Louisiana, Big Lake and White Lake. I am looking to sale my shrimp boat and looking to buy a 1981 Cayalina 22 foot swinging keel sailboat. The guy wants $4,600. In your opinion, is this a good starting boat to learn or do you think a 1979 Bucccaneer 22 foot sailboat would be better? Both boats look like they are in very well shape. I am interested in learning in Lake Arthur, Louisiana, Vermillion Bay, or White lake. My dream was always to take a boat from Mermentau, Louisiana to the Gulf of Mexico.
bcashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 18:24   #4

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
bcashi,
I would go for the Catalina 22. The Catalina has a number of boats on the market. The Bucaneer also has been on the market a number of years but I did not like the well that you walked down to get the extra headroom. I do not know how it sails.. I heard the columbia if strenghtened was seaable.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 19:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
hi from cajun country
With shrimp you can make friends any place you go!

The boats you mention are great to learn with. I started with a Catalina 22 and a J 22 but it's a great size. They are real keel boats and not something that is sort of like a big boat. Either is fine and if in good shape and well maintained you could sail them a while and sell them the same. Start any way that works. If you can hook up with a sailor or a sailing program it really helps. If you have been around the water than all that helps but a little bit more gets you going a whole lot faster and then when you post here you can sound like you know the right words for things and folks can explain things so you will really know. It's how you get better.

We all hope you can do well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 22:43   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome bcashi,
Trsut you enjoy the site andfind it useful. And good luck with picking your first sail boat - I'm sure you'll love either.
JOHN
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44   #7

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
Welcome from fellow cajuns in Slidell. Many years ago had a 23' South Coast. We sailed her all over the Northern Gulf Coast. New Orleans to Destin, Fl. for 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Of the two boats you have mentioned, Catalina would be my choice.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:16   #8

Boat: Watkins 27
Hi, Can't say about the Catalina I own a Starwind 22. I'm new to sailing also. Check the Catalina over real good or get a survey, maybe even get a sailer to go with you before laying out 4 grand. I found that I needed to repair/replace few major items before I put her back into the water here in Port O'Connor, Tx. This has really added to her original cost.
Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:18   #9

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Hey Bcashi,

I know a guy in Madisonville who's got about a 22 footer that needs a little work. He'd prolly sell it to you for a thousand. Let me know if you want his number.

He's also got a Columbia 45 footer for sale as well if you want something bigger.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 14:48   #10

Boat: seawind II Patience
cajun

Also from la,abbeville.Used to shrimp out of delcambre.Had a crysler 22 yrs ago liked it but had to get bigger.Welcome aboard.
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 16:51   #11

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
... and I though I was going to be the only person who pulled a trawl with a sailboat, dangit.
Born to Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 19:09   #12

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Hi Cajun Country

My husband and I bought our first boat in 1981 - a Catalina 22 brand new. We named it Foolish Pleasure - and trailered it from Seattle WA to Long Key FL and back - then from Seattle to Portland ME. Then ME to Miami FL. All with a 1969 Ranch Wagon that cost $500. Well, the last leg we used a truck to pull it. We sold the Ranch Wagon for $40 to a driver in a demo derby in Portland ME because the heater went out on the Ranch Wagon in November in Maine.

My point - we loved that Catalina 22 with a swing keel and a pop top and had many friends on it. It was so cool.

We later graduated to a 36' Buccaneer. What a stinkin hunk of junk.

Get the Catalina 22.

We're now in the market for Privilege 39' to live on it.

Cheers - and have fun sailing.

Laura
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 00:54   #13

Boat: seawind II Patience
cajun

Never pulled trawl with sailboat last shrimp boat 72 ft trawler but should work ok.
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:20   #14

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Marc, you have to use a test trawl and go downwind on very breezy days. I also have rod holders affixed to my stern rail for trolling.
Born to Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:56   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Bcashi,
Welcome aboard! Yes, get the Catalina 22 but check the rudder really well because they had some of them that started delaminating. Catalinas have pretty good quality construction and if the centerboard feels solid and doesn't rattle back and forth or jump up and down when you are sailing then it'll be a pretty good boat for you to learn on.
My first boat was a Catalina fixed keel pop top and I really liked it.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote