Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2010, 09:10   #1

Hi from a New User

Hi I am quite new to sailing having only done 4 2week flotilas with the wife on 33ft boats in the ionians and BVI.
We lived on a 70ft ditch crawler for 6 years and being an ex truck mechanic am quite good with things mechanical and ok with basic electrics. Its this navigation thing that i find a problem, can plot a basic course if i can see the general direction we are going but not much more.
So if i post some rearly stupid questions regarding open cpn and how things work please excuse my ignorance.
Wozzer (the ex ditch crawler now Trailer trash park manager)
wozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 16:53   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hello - it sounds like you cruised in some great places :-) What was it like?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 01:15   #3

I would recomend flotila sailing to all that want to try sailing in warmer seas and if you have little or no expereance its a great way to start and see places that are just in your dreams . Going back to the Ionians for 3 weeks on the 10th of october.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:48   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Welcome, Wozzer... if your partner is handy in the galley, you two could probably land a couple of pretty steady positions on a fair size yacht sailing anywhere. As a delivery skipper for many years, finding competent, dependable sea-going mechanical delivery crew was always a challenge, particularly for larger vessels. These were usually short term assignments traveling from port A to port B but you got to see many different types of marine mechanical set ups. If your electrical skills were fairly strong, don't worry about the electronics side as most are tended to by experts in port. Doing deliveries is a great way to pick up and strengthen your navigation skills. Most skippers are only to happy to share what they know as you cruise along. That is one of the best ways to pick up an understanding of nav skills. Not sure what is available in the UK in the way of basic seamanship classes but there must be something along those lines... welcome to CF... great place to pick up info about almost anything marine related... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 01:03   #5

Thanks Capt Phil
We both would love to do something like that and i am considering doing the YRA yacht master certificate some time in the future , but at the moment we are still working to pay off the mortgage and keep our grown up children and grandchildren in the style of things they expect . We both worked for a time in the UK inland waterways industry, Hire fleet chef engineer and head of house keeping and currently manage a large holiday park on the coast in north Cornwall But one day would love to pack it all in and go off sailing. Until the we are looking forward to our 3 weeks out in the Ionians with Sailing holidays Ltd ( am i aloud to mention specific companies? ) They are a great lot and look after us really well.
PS. The wife can cook a bit as well or at least she can boil the kettle and make a pot noodle.
Old 20-09-2010, 04:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hey Wozzer...
Welcome to CF... your living near/in some nice cruising grounds mate if your near the Sth coast.. if you want to learn navigation then why don't you check out your local library or town hall.
Used to be they did evening classes on RYA Theory Courses at a very cheap rate a few years ago... Day Skipper all the way up to Ocean Yachtmaster... who knows.. maybe they've survived the 'Budget Cuts'....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 17:35   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Its good to have you and your experience here. Questions are always welcome.
kind regards,