Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 14:32   #1

Boat: 15' wetboat named 'the boat'
Hi from a cruising wannabe

Hello, My name is Irene and recently my husband and I have begun to look into sailing, cruising and the liveaboard lifestyle. It is something we have always talked about in a sort of 'wouldn't it be cool if' kind of way, but never thought we could possibly do. Lately, however, I have decided that if you think you can't, well, you can't. So, no more of that. I plan to do a lot of lurking here and maybe occasionally ask the uneducated question. Thanks in advance for all of the information I know I am going to get from this site!
isbolick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 15:03   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Welcome, Irene --

It is a fascinating and wonderful lifestyle. My wife and I are only 5 months into it, but having the time of our lives. We've really only gone a short distance in the scheme of things (Ft. Lauderdale, where we bought the boat, Bahamas for a couple of months, then to Georgia and then up the ICW (with some outside) to NC, where we are at the moment, doing a haulout/maintenance).

We've met wonderful people, had some of the best meals ever, danced under the moonlight, lost weight without trying (amazing what a more active lifestyle and eating better will do -- I haven't been this light since our wedding 22 years ago), seen a lot of wildlife, incredible sunrises/sunsets -- the list goes on. Not that there haven't been trying times, too. Boat maintenance is a never-ending and often frustrating chore. There have some times of terror (dragging anchor in a 40-knot blow that came out of nowhere) and a few tricky dockings. But, those are far outweighed by the other. We've gotten to know great people and shared lots of funny stories.

It is definitely, way cool.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 00:16   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Irene (and partner),
Glad you've found the site and pleased about your plans. As others have said before, there's no such thing as a silly question......so you just ask away and I'm sure some one will come bacck with some answers.
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 11-06-2008, 13:31   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Irene,
Welcome aboard! You'll get lots of opinions and ideas if you ask your questions in an appropriate thread.
Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do. I truly have learned a lot here.
kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote