Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2015, 05:50   #1

Boat: Looking
Hi All, This Is Way More Info Than You Want

I am born and raised Washington bread. I have owned a couple dozen boats in my life and all were power boats. For the last 15 years (or so) my brother and his family, along with myself a bit, have been working on a 44' Kelly Peterson. I am sure I have met a few of you over the past 15 years (some also owned Kelly Peterson's) just from looking at your boats and learning new things.

Well, my brother tried to get me to go sailing with him way back then. I read books and stories and I even did a sailboat inspection for his boat in Washington DC. Not knowing anything about Sailboats I read a book, I think it was the 15 minute sailboat inspection? I wrote an inspection sheet for the boat and my brother hired an inspector. Well, long story short, the inspector was impressed so much, he helped me to inspect everything (even though he had never looked that hard at any sailboat before).

That started me thinking, If I can do this inspection with the inspector as good as I did, I could do the same on my own inspection and maybe help others out like this book did for me. I am a mechanic (Jack of all trades really) and love to work on things. So, I searched for sailboats everywhere. I wanted to live on one and explore the world.

Like all good dreams, reality (as I saw it) set in. I had a good house, nice cars, kids, a wife and so much more to stay on land for and quit living the dream. Note: I am a highly trained S.C.U.B.A. Diver and I had a job at Boeing.

Since that time, the marriage ended, I raised the kids on my own, sold the house, quit my job and became a Boilermaker. lol Found new lady's who didn't want part of that dream and let it continue to die with them. Always living for someone else.

Now, I am single again. I need to do this. My brothers boat still sits but, he is ready to quit his job and sail. I have told him to do it, all these years. FINALLY! So, he has refueled me. He has been showing me boats and I am ready to trade and sell everything I own for this dream. I don't want to live just aboard, I want to LIVE ABOARD. I want to get the boat, spend a month or two getting ready and I want to go. I want out of here, I want the wind at my back and the water at my face.

The sea is calling. I don't know how long it will take to get my stuff sold or find just the right boat but, if I get mine done and he is still not done, I am going to finish it for him so we can go together. This year is my year to go. He has 5 year and 10 year plans. Like I said, that was 15 years ago. I have a plan today, next week, next month. By the end of the year it is either do this or give it up. I will not be able to handle getting excited for this and letting it die any more. Nothing is keeping me here.
Nomadic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 05:59   #2

Re: Hi All, This Is Way More Info Than You Want

Good on ya. Looks like the stars are aligning for you. Hopefully a great boat will come along and the two of you will be off.

Fair winds, sir, and keep us posted on your quest.
Goingbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 06:07   #3

Oh, thank you. You can bet I will. I need to get pictures up because I love taking them and once I do, I hope to share the adventures on here. I have seen the site before and my brother used this site as a starting point himself. He happened to make reference to it and I finally knew, "This is my time to act!" I hope to get him back on here and you will be able to put faces to the names. Pictures to the tails. lol
Old 22-02-2015, 13:24   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Nomadic 1,

Welcome aboard, and good success to you with your plans!

Ann
Old 23-02-2015, 17:57   #5

Well Thank you again Ann T. I did go look at that boat. Yeah it is a NO WAY! lol I am going to try and make another thread documenting my search and hopefully learn a few things again in my search or may be help someone else in their search?
Old 27-03-2015, 19:38   #6

I won't be too far behind you. I will be eligible for my pension in 3 1/2 years and I am gone. I will be buying a Sabre 362 to live on and do half day charters with.
Sailingnflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 04:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sailingnflying.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote