Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-11-2010, 02:33   #1

Boat: 36' Bruce Roberts Ketch
Hi All

Been trolling for about a year now, thought I'd introduce myself. Thirty years old, attorney from Denver, currently living in Berlin. Took some sailing courses this spring and finally feel somewhat comfortable on a small boat on a small lake in a small wind Here to learn, learn, learn, absolutely fascinated with all things sailing.

From what I've seen there's an abundance of kind people here, and an over-abundance of knowledge, so thanks for sharing your wisdom with interested neophytes like myself.

Old 14-11-2010, 05:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Sentient,

Welcome to the forum. It is certainly a wealth of knowledge in all things boat. Even after almost 40 years and thousands of sea miles I learn something new here almost daily. Any time you're bored try searching through the archives and old forum posts. You will find discussions on just about any boating question you could imagine and some that would never occur to you.

So what takes a lawyer to Berlin? Work, play or just enjoying the culture? It is not exactly the sailing capital of Europe.

Old 15-11-2010, 04:09   #3

Hiya Skipmac, thanks for the welcome! In Berlin for work, has just about as much sailing as my home locale Denver, but what are you gonna do. Back to trolling the posts, I'll try to keep the dumb noob questions to a minimum.
Old 15-11-2010, 04:39   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Revise your Admiralty Law for 2 reasons:

Most of us know didly-squat about it.
Any boat you see adrift you can salvage thereby moving from your small boat on a small lake up through larger and larger boats till you own the Queen Mary.

Enjoy your sailing

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 07:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentientcj View Post
Hiya Skipmac, thanks for the welcome! In Berlin for work, has just about as much sailing as my home locale Denver, but what are you gonna do. Back to trolling the posts, I'll try to keep the dumb noob questions to a minimum.
Well you've got a point about the sailing opportunities. Guess there may be some lake sailing in CO, maybe Lake Granby? What about lake sailing in Germany?

Assume you have heard the recommendation that learning to sail a small boat is the best way to learn sail handling so learning on a lake is not a waste of time.

I thought there were already plenty of lawyers in Germany. Didn't know they were importing them.

Skip
Old 15-11-2010, 11:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

I thought there were already plenty of lawyers in Germany. Didn't know they were importing them.

Skip

Skip, there are already plenty of lawyers everywhere... Some would say too many

MarkJ, brushing up as we speak
Old 15-11-2010, 11:43   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi and Welcome,
I did once share a beer with a German chappie who sailed from a club on a lake in or very near Berlin.............maybe worth checking out?
Enjoy and sail safe
JOHN
Old 15-11-2010, 11:57   #8

Welcome aboard! I'm a 35 y/o attorney in Atlanta, I think you will find out that, just as you believed, people on here are incredibly helpful and it is a great group. Enjoy learning to sail and best wishes,
Drew
Old 15-11-2010, 12:16   #9

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Welcome, Sentient... I recall being in Berlin during the days when the city was divided into 2 zones, east and west, and the 'wall' was still up. While much of the western zone was rebuilt, the east zone was still full of bombed out buildings from WWII. I went sailing on the lake in Berlin when it was half controlled by the west and half controlled by the east. There was an imaginary line across the lake and we used to sail right up to it and watch for the east German Border Patrol to come out then we would duck back across the line again. Several of the small sailboats that belonged to the sailing club in the west zone were captured when they lost the wind on the wrong side and were towed to the dock in the east zone. One night, so the story goes, the sailing club rowed across the lake after midnight, hooked up their sailing dinghies and towed them back across to the west zone. Try and find some old timer there who might corroberate the story... it was more of a game than anything else. The lake is also well known for the model boat races, power and sail, that are held several times a year. Cheers, Capt Phil
Old 27-11-2010, 13:05   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha and welcome aboard!
One of our club members learned to sail on a lake in Berlin.
I learned to sail on a lake in southern Germany.
kind regards,
Old 17-10-2012, 06:55   #11

Re: Hi All

Well, I've now bought the boat and am outfitting/refitting/fixing it to do the circumnavigation. She's in FL right now and is a one-off 1987 Bruce Roberts 36' Ketch. She's a beauty. Will be on here much more as I figure out what I need to know. Many thanks for past and future help. It's great to have such a wealth of information and people willing to help all in one place!
Old 17-10-2012, 08:06   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Well, I've now bought the boat and am outfitting/refitting/fixing it to do the circumnavigation. She's in FL right now and is a one-off 1987 Bruce Roberts 36' Ketch. She's a beauty. Will be on here much more as I figure out what I need to know. Many thanks for past and future help. It's great to have such a wealth of information and people willing to help all in one place!
Congrads on your purchase...good luck ,have fun ...
Old 17-10-2012, 08:31   #13
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Hi All

Nice one... enjoy the re-fit and circumnav... its a great life if you don't weaken...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 09:39   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
So your learing is just begining, welcome to the forum, hope to help when needed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: