Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2009, 11:22   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Thumbs up Hi all!

Hi guys. Just brought my first boat, she's currently in Chesapeake, MD. I'm still in the UK. Though I have a few years experience in the Indian Ocean while living in South Africa, this will be my first Short-handing experience that has lasted more than 2 days. Looking forward to it though, been studying like crazy, and have joined here to get more tips and advice. My planned route if currently Chesapeake-Panama-French Polynesia, with possible;y a few short stops along the way. I'm lucky enough to be eligible for a French Passport, so I will be staying in the Pacific awhile. I'm on a fairly tight budget, as I'll be renting out my flat once I'm out of the UK, but it should be enough as I have time to do most of the labour for repairs myself.
Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 21:34   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Sounds great. can we use the boat till you come over. You just don't want it to just sit there! Welcome and hope to hear more.
Old 26-01-2009, 21:40   #3

Lol... well it does seem like an aweful waste... tell you what, get fully comp insurance and buy me a jib, and your welcome to take her around chesapeake!!!
Old 27-01-2009, 00:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Captain Jaz - Single handing is very adventurous. Consider how and if you can get crew. It will make things oh so simpler and better.

If you do single hand the key is redundancy in automated systems and absolute top level maintenance. Having one auto pilot system fail should not be an emergency. Having steering system failure should be an inconvenience and a suitable backup should be readily available.

The parts that cannot be redundant - the rudder and pintles - must be robust with the highest levels of maintenance.

Think about the bits that if failed would be, "Oh, Shoot. I am now screwed."

Then back them up and beef them up.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 00:47   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Welcome Jaz...You're in the right place for advice. If we don't know something...we'll make it up as we go along...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 02:43   #6

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Captian Jaz,
Welcome aboard. Let me know what you timetable will be once you get here. I am a liveaboard in the lower Chesapeake Bay. When you get in the area, the pint will be on me. I can help navigate your transit through the bay area.
Fair winds,
Jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 04:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
Welcome Captain Jaz, If you find yourself in Nova Scotia on your way down to the Chesapeake, look us up! We are leaving on our journey soon as well, but not for another year and half.
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 06:39   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hi Captain Jaz - Single handing is very adventurous. Consider how and if you can get crew. It will make things oh so simpler and better.

If you do single hand the key is redundancy in automated systems and absolute top level maintenance. Having one auto pilot system fail should not be an emergency. Having steering system failure should be an inconvenience and a suitable backup should be readily available.

The parts that cannot be redundant - the rudder and pintles - must be robust with the highest levels of maintenance.

Think about the bits that if failed would be, "Oh, Shoot. I am now screwed."

Then back them up and beef them up.

Yup!
Thanks for pointing it out, I have had my head in books for years now, trying to learn from others such as yourself, and have received advice along these lines before. The spec's for my boat and my plans are in the Mono-hull section. But basically, it already has an electric auto in the cockpit, and I'm planning on building me own wind vane auto as well as carrying spares for both. Also, my insomnia, which has caused me much trouble through my life, may actually be useful if both were to break while I was a week from land!
Please check out my boat in the mono-hull forum and advise as necessary.
Old 27-01-2009, 06:41   #9

And thanks also to the other Chesapeake sailors!
I shall certainly come share a pint with you on my way south!
Old 27-01-2009, 06:44   #10

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
Yup!
Thanks for pointing it out, I have had my head in books for years now, trying to learn from others such as yourself, and have received advice along these lines before.
I'm not suggesting that knowledge is any substitute for experience, but then, thats why i'm here!
Old 29-01-2009, 14:40   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Captain Jaz,
Welcome aboard! Congratulations on the new boat. Always fun to have a new toy.
Hope you enjoy the forum. Give us a question so we can make something up.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 19:12   #12

Lol, thanks!
I've already been hard at work, asking and giving opinions, lots of fun, and even some useful advice!!