Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2007, 15:14   #1

Hi

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been lurking here for a while and figured it was finally time to stand up and wave. My DH and I have a 26’ MacGregor trailer sailor (the old style with the low cabin and 8 horse O/B, not the 50 horse power boat wannabe). We keep it in our yard (no slip fees!) and normally sail San Francisco bay but it allows us to sail places like Lake Tahoe or haul it to southern California in the summer. We also bareboat charter a lot both in San Francisco bay with Club Nautique and in the Caribbean. We’ll be in the Grenadines for three weeks next spring. Long term is to get a larger boat and do some long-term cruising, just have to get over this nasty habit called work first.

Reading over many of the posts it seems that we’re a bit of an oddity among the sailing couples. While my hubby enjoys sailing, I’m probably more gung ho than him. It was my idea to start getting more involved in sailing several years ago. I’m the one that signs us up for lessons (we’re currently going through Coastal Passage Making), I get the books, magazines, and DVDs and scan the classified for the “perfect” boat. I plan (and pay for) our sailing vacations. I would say that we are about equal in our sailing skills, though we have different areas of expertise; I’m in charge of planning, navigation, provisioning, he’s in charge of anything that breaks.

Carolynn

~.~.~.~.~.~. /) .~.~.~.~.~.~
SanSailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 18:14   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Carolynn,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here on the forum. I love the Bay area but by golly it is expensive. I once had an apartment in Oakland for less than $200 a month and nearly rented a storefront in SF for $220. Bet you can guess when I lived there.
Good sailing and lots of interesting folks here.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 18:16   #3
Kai Nui

SanSailor, Welcome aboard. Amazing where you can go with a trailer sailor.
Old 26-01-2007, 21:39   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Welcome aboard Carrolynn

It's sounds like U B the cap'n and the man's the engineer. Good on you! Where were you 30 years ago???

I'm sure you'll enjoy the site. And keep pushing for that upgrade!.............._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 00:58   #5

Boat: Lotus 10.6
We started off with a 25ft trailer sailor. Had some dam good times & holidays on it. I would prefer your type McGregor over the 50hp one. More like the keeler you will eventually move up to. Welcome to the forum.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 06:19   #6

We started with a 17' McGregor. Actually Gail had the boat when I met her. Worked out OK by me!
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 12:01   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Welcome,

It sounds like you are doing just everything possible to get out on the water. Sail as much as you can! After that it's just details.

Grenadines for three weeks in the spring? Oh my, you are so not going to want to come home. Kicking, screaming, and crying!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 11:54   #8

Thanks everyone, I let my hubby be the cap’n but I’m the navigator, he just thinks he’s in charge, I get to tell him where to go and how to get there

Three weeks on a 35’ boat is a trial run for us for cruising. I figure that if we can put up with each other in close proximity that long that we’ll be able to go longer on a larger, nicer boat of our own. It is gonna be hard to come back though.
SanSailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 18:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I let my hubby be the cap’n but I’m the navigator
The Admiral tells me I'm the Captain all the time. I just don't let her navigate unless we have to go someplace. In that case she just tells me. It then just happens. Seems to work well. Every boat needs a system. If yours works you be Cruising.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 02:09   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I “know” I’m the captain - Maggie told me so.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 03:36   #11

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Carrolynn,
Hope you enjoy the forum - we do.

My wife Sue says I can decide on the vital things like should the Uk support Mr Bush, what kind of immigration policy should we have etc etc.

She'll retain the little things like where we live, where we cruise, what pals we have, what cars we drive, how much we can spend on the yacht, even what sails we hoist etc.

Suprisingly, it's worked fine for us for 38 years now!

JOHN