Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-09-2014, 07:57   #1

Boat: TBA

Today is the best day of the rest of my life... or something like that!
So I've signed up and the "correct or courteous" thing to do is say "Hi"
If you're out floating around, at anchor, along a dock somewhere or still stuck to a lounge chair, there is one big thing we seem to have in common... a desire to sink hard earned cash into an abyss, I mean boat... in the hope that one day we can look back and sigh... I did that sh#t.
Well I'd sure want to look back and say that! So here I am catching up on some fantastic insightful and wonderful news/ stories/ titbits etc. what a great forum.
My life in earlier times was very blessed. Living on a tropical Whitsunday Island as a young teen I got to meet many passing yachts local and international. The stories they shared had my mind salivating. I hitched my first ride on a yacht by spying a boat miles away but heading our direction. I needed a few days on mainland so I grabbed my duffle bag, stuffed some clothes in it and wadded out to a coral bommie, stuck my thumb out for a lift back to Mackay our closest main town. That was one of the earliest sailing tastes I'd gotten.
From that point I lived and worked on Islands and or boats. Working on trawlers, dive boats, driving old barges and fast ferries.
Eventually I lucked out and spent a few years on a large cat out of Guam sailing and exploring N.Z. Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon's up to Guam back to N.Z. Then back to Aust again to sail with my parents aboard their ketch. They couldn't get rid of me that easy!
The years have past, marriage, kids, business, divorce, new beginnings but all the while a yearning to be out over the horizon.
I chartered a "Lagoon" from Airlie Beach to have a ten day sailing experience with my partner and our kids x 4 all under 12yrs at that time. It was better than I'd expected or remembered & some twenty years had nearly passed since I'd been free to sail. I can't tell you how delicious the feeling was... What the hell are we doing working so damn hard for?! That's how life is meant to be...salt in the face and sand between ya bum.
So now the seeds are sown, the hunt begins.
I am leaning toward a newer style lighter version of Catana yachts and would appreciate those that have these to touch base and share the pros an cons. I went aboard the new '59 that was at a local show and was gob smacked at the change in build styles since I sailed all those years ago. I'd have one if somebody else paid the $bill$ and so a smaller version is all I'd really be chasing later when times right. Sailing on a 60ft I'd seen how much coin the boss had to put in just to keep her afloat and I am happy to be looking at a vessel which hasn't room for ego but ample for two perhaps up to four kids if they all want to go... I'd put them on the Lagoons trampoline turned her into the waves, thinking "this will put them off sailing", I can go with just my partner if they hate sailing...happy dayz, but no they loved the waves, the splashing, the airborne excitement and so they do have to fit in as well!!

I guess I've filled my space and hope it's sufficient for those who like a read, it's more than a simple "Hi" and hope that's okay. I don't like posting very often but like to read and gain knowledge if I have something to add I'll chime in but it's better left to those more experienced than I.
E.M. AKA Coffee Bug.

CoffeeBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:05   #2

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Re: Hi

Welcome Aboard!

-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, EM.
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 11:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 11:14   #5

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Great story. Welcome from SW Florida.
My soul is full of longing for the secret of the sea,
and the heart of the great ocean sends a thrilling pulse through me.
—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 14:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, Coffee Bug.

We almost bought a Catana one time, it was a nice boat.

Ann & Jim

Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: