Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2014, 08:10   #1

Hi

Hi I am doing a transition from power boating to Sailboating and in the process of purchasing a sail boat I have selected the Jeaunneau 409 or the 44DS or the Benneteau 41 or 38 can some help me determine which may be better for my family and easy to use . And later if I wanted to upgrade re sale value.
Avaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 08:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Hi

Hi Avaun and welcome to the forum,

Maybe a little more information to help with your questions.

How many in the family? Children? What ages?

How many cabins do you want/need?

What kind of sailing do you plan and where?

Easy to use? Kind of depends on what part of sailing you want to be easy. If you are referring to sail handling then in my opinion any boat can be configured to be easy to hoist and trim the sails. Add roller furling jib if it isn't already there. Add an extra winch if needed, a couple of blocks and pulley's to run the lines to a more convenient spot.

I would focus more on the boat that is right for my plans and after a little experience with the boat modify a little if necessary..
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 09:35   #3

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Avaun and welcome to the forum,

Maybe a little more information to help with your questions.

How many in the family? Children? What ages?

How many cabins do you want/need?

What kind of sailing do you plan and where?

Easy to use? Kind of depends on what part of sailing you want to be easy. If you are referring to sail handling then in my opinion any boat can be configured to be easy to hoist and trim the sails. Add roller furling jib if it isn't already there. Add an extra winch if needed, a couple of blocks and pulley's to run the lines to a more convenient spot.

I would focus more on the boat that is right for my plans and after a little experience with the boat modify a little if necessary..
Good questions. Tell us why you selected what you did. Ever consider a Cat?
Old 26-07-2014, 09:37   #4

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Oh yes an welcome to the forum. You will get a TON of advice here.
Old 26-07-2014, 09:41   #5

Thank You for your reply there is 4 of us in the family ages 11 and. 8 my parents and brothers will be commimg many times with us we won't be doing many overnights at this time perhaps later just like to enjoy the sailing part so any given time 10 to 12 adults or 6 kids but the Beneteau 41 has a decent swim platform and easy in and out from the boat for the kids and elderly parents the. 44DS has a very open concept with the large windows . so boat for boat 44 ,409 or. 41
Old 26-07-2014, 09:53   #6

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Welcome to CF.

Jeanneau and Beneteau are made by the same company now so to some extent it's like comparing Oldsmobiles to Buicks. Personally I think the Jeanneaus are a little "nicer" but that's just my opinion.

There is a big difference between 38' and 44'. For me the primary factor would be don't get a boat you are not comfortable single handing (or at least double handing) otherwise, unless you have a crew, the boat will sit in it's slip. Even a trip to the pumpout station or fuel dock can be arduous if it's crowded and/or the wind/current is wrong.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 21:05   #7

Hi
If I can get the 44 DS around the same price as the Beneteau 41 would the 44DS be a better value it just the drop down transom is a very good feature .
Old 28-07-2014, 21:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaun View Post
Thank You for your reply there is 4 of us in the family ages 11 and. 8 my parents and brothers will be commimg many times with us we won't be doing many overnights at this time perhaps later just like to enjoy the sailing part so any given time 10 to 12 adults or 6 kids but the Beneteau 41 has a decent swim platform and easy in and out from the boat for the kids and elderly parents the. 44DS has a very open concept with the large windows . so boat for boat 44 ,409 or. 41
10 or 12 adults, your going to need a bigger boat. !

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 22:05   #9

Hi
So I have narrowed it down to the Jeaunneau 44DS Dafour 410 and Hunter 40DS the other one is the Hanse 455 I am trying to keep under the $320,000 price range for re sale value and easy sailing what do you think ?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-08-2014, 07:23   #10

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaun View Post
Hi
So I have narrowed it down to the Jeaunneau 44DS Dafour 410 and Hunter 40DS the other one is the Hanse 455 I am trying to keep under the $320,000 price range for re sale value and easy sailing what do you think ?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
That's quite a list. Lucky you!

Going to be hard to find people who have experience with all those boats. Personally I have sailed a Jeanneau 42DS (PHRF RLC 102), Dufour 375 (93), Hunter 41 DS (96), and Hanse 40 (57). All of these boats are charter/club boats which means they get a lot of use/abuse so my observations have to be tempered with that in mind. Also, they are smaller than what you are considering so I can't comment on rigging, space, accomodations,etc., on the larger models and there are rigging options available for any boat which might change my opinions were I to have experienced them.

That said, in my opinion, the Hanse is the better boat in terms of performance and build quality. It also has a self-tacking jib which would make single or double handing easier if one chose to utilize it.

The Jeanneau is a very nice boat and the only complaint I have on the one I've sailed is that the jib sheets run aft to a winch next to the wheel which makes it easier to single hand but it's a tight fit for a crew member trying to work next to the helmsman. Other boats are set up this way as well but it feels particularly tight on the Jeanneau.

The Dufour is also a really nice boat but little things down below seem to break or "go missing" alot; screws, brackets, fittings, knobs, etc.

The Hunter is a big, comfortable boat and lots of charterers love it for that reason but I personally don't care for the overhead traveler/mainsheet setup on Hunters. Also, the coolant overflow bottle is really hard to access if necessary.

All things being equal, I would choose the Hanse but I don't have a large family or need the amenities you obviously require but it does have the nicest head and full shower of all those on this list. It also outperforms all the others. It's really fast for a cruising boat.

Nobody likes to think about problems one encounters while sailing but based upon my experience with well used boats, I suggest you give consideration to how easy or difficult trouble shooting is for basic repairs like the engine overheating and plumbing or electrical problems. Just my 2 cents.

Like I said before, lucky you. We should all have such tough decisions to make.

OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 11:47   #11

Thank You for the information as I mentioned I am leaving power boating going to sailboat the Hanse 445 cockpit is small compared to the Dufour 410 I do like the Jeaunneau 44 DS the only draw back it has no swim platform for the kids and elderly parents or even the little kids boarding the hunter 40 DS is a good price point but it is still very traditional inside and dark wood it is a tough decision I am waiting to see the Hanse 455 the other boat that people think I should consider the Bavaria 46 vision or the 42
Old 28-08-2014, 11:50   #12

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Making the best decision depends a lot on what you plan to do with the boat.

May I ask why you are considering only new boats? (Assuming you are)
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 11:55   #13

I have been looking at new boats being my first sailboat I would like to buy it from the dealer and all the warranty with it there seems to be aggressive pricing from the dealers on these boats I am looking at .
Old 28-08-2014, 12:09   #14

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

With a new boat, not only are you paying a steep price for the initial depreciation, but also there is usually a lot of outfitting to be done to get the boat ready for cruising (which is part of why I ask what your intentions are). A boat that is a few years old will have the wrinkles ironed out, probably be more fully fitted for cruising, still have many years of use on major components (rigging, auxiliary, etc.) before major repairs are needed, and already have a large chunk of depreciation behind it.

I understand you've been boating a long time, but what you want in a sailboat is likely to change after you've been sailing for a while. If you're set on a new boat, perhaps you'll want to order your second boat "custom."

You might want to consider finding a good broker near you and asking them to show you a few boats a few years old so you can get a sense of how good a deal you're really getting on a new one.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 15:32   #15

Once again thank you for your advice yes I have considered used however some of the pricing is not that far apart and the type of boats I narrowed down to not many out in the market the Hanse 455 , Dufour 410, and the Jeaunneau 44DS like I said some of these boats have been sitting for over a year in dealer inventory and now moving towards September the manufacture may help out in pricing . It seems that Benneteau and Jeaunneu have really been aggressive in the market . We want a spacious cockpit , easy sailing and easy boat to learn and hopefully a good resale value if we decide to upgrade.