Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 11:03   #1

Hey hey!

I'm 16, an artist and animator. My family is moving to live on a Catamaran in May. I would really love to make some experienced friends here, to give me pointers on how to settle into a life at sea!
Hablo el español también. ¡Por favor, charlar conmigo!
NeoEmmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:15   #2

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Hey hey!

Bienvenidos a CF NeoEmmons!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Bienvenidos a CF NeoEmmons!

¡Muchas gracias!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:32   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Buy dive gear. Buy books- real books, not Kindle. Dump cable or satellite TV.

Learn to operate the boat. Learn to maintain it- the engine, the hull, etc.

If you draw, then draw pictures. And not just the beautiful sunny days- draw the miserable, roaring days. You'll be glad you did.

Get a Hotmail or gmail account. Get some personal (business) cards printed with you email address that you can hand out.

Get clothing you can layer. Lots of fleece. Replace cotton sweaters with wool. Wrap around sunglasses and a wide brim hat.

Don't fall in love with everyone you meet. Be prepared to part. Move on.

Thank your parents for this opportunity. Most people can't afford it, and most are happier to spend a gorgeous weekend at the mall.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:40   #5

Boat: Cavalier 975 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

If you draw, then draw pictures. And not just the beautiful sunny days- draw the miserable, roaring days. You'll be glad you did.

Get a Hotmail or gmail account. Get some personal (business) cards printed with you email address that you can hand out.

Get clothing you can layer. Lots of fleece. Replace cotton sweaters with wool. Wrap around sunglasses and a wide brim hat.

Thank your parents for this opportunity. Most people can't afford it, and most are happier to spend a gorgeous weekend at the mall.
Well said.
Good luck with your adventure NeoEmmons.
GlennGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 13:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2017, 13:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennGee View Post
Well said.

Good luck with your adventure NeoEmmons.

Hehe, thank you!
Old 14-04-2017, 12:28   #8

Boat: never mind...

The best part about this post is that you are excited about it and are embracing the opportunity. You will grow to be a worldly, well-read individual. Don't be arrogant about it as you grow older, be confident and humble. Share your world!
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 17:23   #9

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaint View Post
The best part about this post is that you are excited about it and are embracing the opportunity. You will grow to be a worldly, well-read individual. Don't be arrogant about it as you grow older, be confident and humble. Share your world!
Yes, very cool how excited you sound. You've been given a rare gift to be able to move your home wherever the winds take you, to meet new people, learn new languages, explore different cultures. I'd be surprised if there are that many young people on this site (am I wrong?), but I bet you'll meet many as you are out cruising. The best part of the world today is that while you might not keep in physical contact, the contacts you maintain through social media can be maintained wherever you go. All the best to you!!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 19:39   #10

Hey hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaint View Post

Yes, I am very excited! I can't wait to see new places and meet people from all over. I really am blessed with this chance. Thank you for your kind words!
Old 14-04-2017, 19:54   #11

Hey hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Yes, very cool how excited you sound. You've been given a rare gift to be able to move your home wherever the winds take you, to meet new people, learn new languages, explore different cultures. I'd be surprised if there are that many young people on this site (am I wrong?), but I bet you'll meet many as you are out cruising. The best part of the world today is that while you might not keep in physical contact, the contacts you maintain through social media can be maintained wherever you go. All the best to you!!

I would love to meet other young sailors, to share future years' adventures with. Thank you for your support!
Old 14-04-2017, 23:55   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, NeoEmmons,

I'll second the notion of your keeping your art alive. Perhaps a commitment to a daily journal, art and/or writing. Do it on spec, and decide what to and what not to include.

For me, it has been a good thing, and my husband, Jim, now has (aboard) all his boat logs from all his years of boating. It is good to be able to go back and remember, and clarify.

Most of all, have lots of fun, wherever your folks take you. Learn new languages, 'cause it opens the cultures to you. We've learned a very great deal from people with few material posessions, for instance. Who'd have thought that of a couple of middle class Americans?

All the best to you,

Ann
Old 18-04-2017, 09:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Welcome aboard, NeoEmmons,

I'll second the notion of your keeping your art alive. Perhaps a commitment to a daily journal, art and/or writing. Do it on spec, and decide what to and what not to include.

For me, it has been a good thing, and my husband, Jim, now has (aboard) all his boat logs from all his years of boating. It is good to be able to go back and remember, and clarify.

Most of all, have lots of fun, wherever your folks take you. Learn new languages, 'cause it opens the cultures to you. We've learned a very great deal from people with few material posessions, for instance. Who'd have thought that of a couple of middle class Americans?

All the best to you,

Ann

Thank you very much! I will make sure to keep a journal, and save all my sketches!