Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-11-2013, 05:26   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Here To LEARN, LEARN, LEARN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
There was actually some guy on here many years ago that set me straight in that line of thinking. He basically said that sailing around the world will be harder than anything I'd ever done before and if I couldn't find a way to be happy in my 9-5 job with an AC, gym membership, motorcycle, car, and living in San Diego, I wasn't going to be happy anywhere in the world.
If you can't be happy where you are then chasing rainbows isn't likely to cure your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
It was true for me and I really focused on trying to find joy and contentment in whatever I did. Harder some days than others obviously, but that mindset really turned my life around. It also made the shitty days on the boat (of which there are many) not be some let down where I went into it expecting it to make me happy some how.
Had a similar discussion with another Pearson owner. Like me, he spent years and many hours overhauling the boat. I expressed my occasional frustration at the long process but he reminded me that you can find just as much joy in repairing a pump as you can anchoring in a tropical cove. All depends on your attitude. It's a lesson I know but have to work every day to live it.

Now back to the original thread which is still in progress.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:18   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
really good article. btw svsoulmates, if you were off Italy this year around otranto, your AIS is transmitting intermittently and the range is only 1M (or it was another sv soulmates, which I would guess there may be a few :P )
monte -- the closest we got to italy was the sw end of sardinia -- and we sailed from there directly to tunisia -- so could have been another soulmates - and yes there are others - we ran across one in lagos -- but then again - we do know our ais was working on the way to tunisia as we had to approach and cross a shipping lane and man was it busy -and some ships we talked to had us on ais at least 10nm out - that was when we started talking to them = but we spent the entire night talking to big ship negotating our way across as we had ships coming at us from every angle possible - but thanks
we will check it

chuck patty and svsoulmates
in port yasmine hammamet tunisia for the winter

Old 27-11-2013, 20:07   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Ease yourself into it by taking some courses. Lots of them very inexpensive, i. e. USCG Auxiliary safe boating and Power Squadron courses then do a hands on basic sailing course and decide if you want to do more.
kind regards,
Old 28-11-2013, 04:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jason.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 19:12   #20
Bloody Old Fool

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol Sailstar, Courier, 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCherry View Post
I am looking to purchase a vessel to cruise the Caribbean in the next 3 to 5 years. My wife and I plan to spend a year if possible island hopping. I am trying to educate myself as much as possible on the craft of boating. I would search Google on information for various topics, and would always find the most useful information from the members of this forum. So I decided to become a member!!! I have never been at sea before, but it seems to me that it would be an unmatched feeling of freedom if done safely and with the proper equipment and information!! I can't wait!!
As for written sustenance on the Carribe ; there are numerous, but I'd point you to 2 fellows, for starters.
One would be Bruce VanZant , and the other a John C. Wright, whom I believe is retired naval captain or USCG but very experienced and FRUGAL (( not cheap)) they are not synonymous terms, eh?
Old 15-03-2016, 01:08   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
really good article. btw svsoulmates, if you were off Italy this year around otranto, your AIS is transmitting intermittently and the range is only 1M (or it was another sv soulmates, which I would guess there may be a few :P )
Monte -- we went by Ortanto on 6-15-6-16 on our way to Brindisi -- we were in Brindisi for a few days then went over to Albania -- depends on when you saw it -- we were about 5nm or so off the coast when we passed Ortanto I think
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 01:12   #22

Boat: Ohlson 29

dlblandjr, just out of curiosity:

Why are you quoting and replying to a post made on 01-11-2013?

I don't mind, I just get confused when old topics suddenly come back to life again On Halloween, it's to be expected, but not at this time of year

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: